QuikTrip hiring 'hybrid employees' who can work while armed to deter crime, keep customers safe

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Frankie
Posts in topic: 1

QuikTrip hiring 'hybrid employees' who can work while armed to deter crime, keep customers safe

Post by Frankie »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/q ... c967c.html

According to Thornbrugh, QuikTrip has been testing the hybrid employee program for six months at a few locations in Wichita.
“Our employees like it, customers really like it, and we’re seeing all kinds of (security and crime-related) incidents just plummet,” Thornbrugh said. “Customers really like it that we’re trying something that’s making a difference.”
I find it interesting that the article talks about how they still have police and "outside security" presence but the criminal activity is noticeably reduced by adding a armed employee.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Re: QuikTrip hiring 'hybrid employees' who can work while armed to deter crime, keep customers safe

Post by chasfm11 »

I wonder if the armed employees OC. There would seem to be a problem with this in Texas, given the tight grip that the security industry has on any non-LEO security. I also wonder how they are handling the liability issue.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jago668

Re: QuikTrip hiring 'hybrid employees' who can work while armed to deter crime, keep customers safe

Post by Jago668 »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 am I wonder if the armed employees OC. There would seem to be a problem with this in Texas, given the tight grip that the security industry has on any non-LEO security. I also wonder how they are handling the liability issue.
Well in the article it said they were looking for people with law enforcement experience.
NRA Benefactor Member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jago668 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:11 am
chasfm11 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 am I wonder if the armed employees OC. There would seem to be a problem with this in Texas, given the tight grip that the security industry has on any non-LEO security. I also wonder how they are handling the liability issue.
Well in the article it said they were looking for people with law enforcement experience.
Right, but that doesn't deal with either the liability or the "license" matters.
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 am
Right, but that doesn't deal with either the liability or the "license" matters.
Just went and looked, and you're right have to be 32+ hours a week peace officer to be exempt from needing a license. I was mistakenly thinking retired could as well.
NRA Benefactor Member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jago668 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 am
Just went and looked, and you're right have to be 32+ hours a week peace officer to be exempt from needing a license. I was mistakenly thinking retired could as well.
There may be a security company that would offer some kind of an arrangement with QT or others to provide training and licensing as private security. But I'm guessing that if you can pass the qualifications for that, you can find a better paying job than QT, though I have no personal knowledge about the pay scales involved. There are a lot of non-armed private security that appear to be in the same type of pay range as you might find at QT. That said, the advertised pay scales at Buc-ees look pretty decent. I think the armed component changes the game.
Dum Spiro, Spero

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I was thinking an employee could carry under the same laws that allow an employee at a gun shop to open carry while at work.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

In Texas you could certainly run a similar program under LTC, but I imagine they would require some additional training. Having an LTC is great. Being competent enough to satisfy the company's comfort level / liability insurance may be another issue.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 am
Jago668 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 am
There may be a security company that would offer some kind of an arrangement with QT or others to provide training and licensing as private security. But I'm guessing that if you can pass the qualifications for that, you can find a better paying job than QT, though I have no personal knowledge about the pay scales involved. There are a lot of non-armed private security that appear to be in the same type of pay range as you might find at QT. That said, the advertised pay scales at Buc-ees look pretty decent. I think the armed component changes the game.
In the article they were paying $35/hour.
NRA Benefactor Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

Hybrid?

Can someone explain why this word is necessary?

Thanks!

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Except if "security" is in your job description, there is a whole slew of other considerations and licensing.
And if you are going to carry, you need Class III level security licensing...

How about just let your employees open carry under provisions of LTC, but only for their own protection...? ;)

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Abraham wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:30 am Hybrid?

Can someone explain why this word is necessary?

Thanks!
Marketing a common sense solution to the sheep requires words that make them feel better, or obfuscate reality so as not to upset their world view.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Or maybe hybrid was simply meant to mean combination. Some of the word Nazi stuff is just silly.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

I detest 'new speak'.

Interjecting 'Orwellian' words to fit some sort of weird agenda gives me hives.

Plain old English isn't workable for those who're certain it isn't vague enough...and I'm not favorably impressed as they hope.

That is, I'm not in awe of their flawed ideas of brilliance.

They sound eerily like lefties using a good word like 'hybrid' in a manner to be deceptive.

Ugh!

ELB

Post by ELB »

"Hybrid" is a pretty plain English word. Traditionally store clerks and store security were separate jobs, with separate people. Combining them into one position is exactly described by the word "hybrid."
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”