QuikTrip hiring 'hybrid employees' who can work while armed to deter crime, keep customers safe

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: QuikTrip hiring 'hybrid employees' who can work while armed to deter crime, keep customers safe

Post by philip964 »

Finally an answer!

Love the word hybrid.

Maybe more companies will join the program.

Only problem I see is that criminals will move to different soft targets.

rotor

Re: QuikTrip hiring 'hybrid employees' who can work while armed to deter crime, keep customers safe

Post by rotor »

For those with more knowledge than I have, can't a store have it's employees open carry without LTC? On private property isn't that legal? My brother doesn't have a LTC but can't he carry when on my property and I have given him permission?

The term hybrid here is that the person would be a semi-security and still do the work of a store clerk. My hybrid is my wife's Prius. $35 an hour seems like a pretty good salary for a store clerk carrying a gun.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 am
Jago668 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 am
chasfm11 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 am
Jago668 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:11 am
chasfm11 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 am I wonder if the armed employees OC. There would seem to be a problem with this in Texas, given the tight grip that the security industry has on any non-LEO security. I also wonder how they are handling the liability issue.
Well in the article it said they were looking for people with law enforcement experience.
Right, but that doesn't deal with either the liability or the "license" matters.
Just went and looked, and you're right have to be 32+ hours a week peace officer to be exempt from needing a license. I was mistakenly thinking retired could as well.
There may be a security company that would offer some kind of an arrangement with QT or others to provide training and licensing as private security. But I'm guessing that if you can pass the qualifications for that, you can find a better paying job than QT, though I have no personal knowledge about the pay scales involved. There are a lot of non-armed private security that appear to be in the same type of pay range as you might find at QT. That said, the advertised pay scales at Buc-ees look pretty decent. I think the armed component changes the game.
I have a couple of retired friends that went to work as security guards. They are armed when on duty, but the physical work is minimal so it suits them. Both of them said they had to take some classroom time, but the shooting proficiency requirement was about the same as for LTC. They also both said they are making about $15/hr. I'm guessing the security company is charging maybe $60/hr for their time. So the $35/hr quoted in the article would be a good deal for QT and a good deal for the worker.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

ELB,

I'm resistant to new/old corporate speak.

I recall when 'interpersonal relationship' came out and it made me gag.

Changing the word 'Personnel' to 'human resources' also made me gag.

Or now rather a dated term -'win-win' gag...

And my list goes on, but I'm sure you get my curmudgeonly point.

While I'm pro-corporations their stodgy, ludicrous made up speak isn't and never was for me, even when young.

Or, perhaps I've alway been a curmudgeon - which is probably the case.

Now, I've got to do a bit of 'networking'...

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Sounds like a good concept. Glad to hear it's working!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Who you talking to Willis?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Haha...Different Strokes.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Abraham wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 pm ELB,

While I'm pro-corporations their stodgy, ludicrous made up speak isn't and never was for me, even when young.

Abraham. I'm surprised by your inability to "think outside the box." Perhaps if you would examine your "core competency," you'd note that a better "ROI" is attainable. Participating in "group think" allows one to "give 110%" and "take it to the next level." By doing this, "at the end of the day" you will be able to "build a consensus" by employing "best practices" and grab "the low hanging fruit." This is "mission critical" for any person(s) that is "results driven." By doing so, you will be a "thought leader" and will be able to understand the "paradigm shifts" and be less "risk adverse." Good luck. :mrgreen:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Slowly I turned, step by step...

For me, "paradigm shifts" was the ultimate gag a maggot term.

None of the pinheads I knew in corporate America realized just how ridiculous they sounded when speaking corporate jargon.

Convinced they sounded brilliant they were, all the while looking and sounding like fundaments.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Abraham, et al:

Well, we all have to be PRESENT IN THE MOMENT and determine those attributes which are in his/hers WHEELHOUSE!

While also remembering that there is no "I" in TEAM!

When faced with PROBLEMS, I mean OPPORTUNITIES TO EXCEL, just remember that the last 4 letters of "American" are "I CAN"!

Please have your response completed by COB Friday. (Close of business.)

I will be at my Colorado home should you need anything while working this weekend.
Albert, you are a valued TEAM MEMBER/STAKEHOLDER/ASSOCIATE.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Plus, the laughable so-called team building exercises away from the work place.

And heaven help you if you mocked this Orwellian silliness...

Plus, extorting employees into subsidizing corporate Americans favorite charity: United Way

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

I got your point. It's just that you aren't on it with "hybrid." It's a single, simple word that precisely describes the situation. If anything, it's the opposite of "interpersonal relationship."
USAF 1982-2005

jason812

Post by jason812 »

G26ster wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Abraham. I'm surprised by your inability to "think outside the box." Perhaps if you would examine your "core competency," you'd note that a better "ROI" is attainable. Participating in "group think" allows one to "give 110%" and "take it to the next level." By doing this, "at the end of the day" you will be able to "build a consensus" by employing "best practices" and grab "the low hanging fruit." This is "mission critical" for any person(s) that is "results driven." By doing so, you will be a "thought leader" and will be able to understand the "paradigm shifts" and be less "risk adverse." Good luck. :mrgreen:
You are fired. You left out Diversity and Inclusion, Innovation, Employee Engagement, and some others... I guess I'm fired too. :banghead:

I don't know how old Abraham is, but I seem to agree with him alot and I'm not yet 40. Does that mean I'm an old soul, or just cynical? "rlol"
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

ELB,

Yeah, I hear ya, I just don't like it.

In times gone by, we had a variety of work particulars people were responsible for, yet none were referred to as 'hybrid'. To my knowledge anyway.

I suppose part of my dislike for calling people 'hybrid' and their jobs, is along the lines of calling human beings 'resources'.

It's creepy and dehumanizing.

Jason812,

Both!

dlh

Post by dlh »

All of this talk of semantics reminds me of another political chat group I am in where we nuance and parse the meaning of "nazi", "radcon", "thug", "invasion", and many other currently "hot" words.
It seems we now spend our time with problems of meaning rather than with problems of truth---philosopher dlh. :)
Time to get back to the range and practice.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”