CRUZ and CORNYN introduce Reciprocity bill

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 1

CRUZ and CORNYN introduce Reciprocity bill

Post by gtolbert09 »

Copied from TSRA email.

Sens. Cruz, Cornyn File Concealed-Carry Reciprocity Bill

WASHINGTON, D.C. -

U.S. Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and John Cornyn (R-Texas) introduced the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. This bill will allow individuals with concealed carry privileges in their home state to exercise those rights in any other state with concealed carry laws, while abiding by that state's laws.

"The rights protected in the Second Amendment are foundational to a free society and the preservation of individual liberty," Sen. Cruz said. "I am proud to cosponsor this bill, which champions the rights of law-abiding gun owners and ensures those rights are protected."

"This bill focuses on two of our country's most fundamental constitutional protections- the Second Amendment's right of citizens to keep and bear arms and the Tenth Amendment's right of states to make laws best-suited for their residents," said Sen. Cornyn. "I look forward to working with my colleagues to advance this important legislation for law-abiding gun owners nationwide."

The bill is cosponsored:

Sens. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), Mike Braun (R-Ind.), Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.), Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), Steve Daines (R-Mont.), Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), Deb Fischer (R-Neb.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), John Hoeven (R-N.D.), Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.), Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.), John Kennedy (R-La.), Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), David Perdue (R-Ga.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Jim Risch (R-Idaho), Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska), John Thune (R-S.D.), Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), and Roger Wicker (R-Miss.).

Background on the
Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act:

Protecting Fundamental Constitutional Rights:
Allows law-abiding citizens to exercise their fundamental right to self-defense while they are traveling or temporarily living away from home.
Allows individuals with concealed carry privileges in their home state to conceal carry in any other states that also allow concealed carry.
Treats state-issued concealed carry permits like drivers' licenses where an individual can use their home-state license to drive in another state, but must abide by that other state's speed limit or road laws.

Respecting State Sovereignty:
Does not establish national standards for concealed carry.
Does not provide for a national concealed carry permit.
Does not allow a resident to circumvent their home state's concealed carry permit laws. If under current law an individual is prohibited by federal law from carrying a firearm, they will continue to be prohibited from doing so under our bill.
Respects state laws concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried and types of firearms which may not be carried by the visiting individual.
Protects states' rights by not mandating the right to concealed carry in places that do not allow the practice.

Broad Support:
Last Congress, identical legislation had 40 cosponsors. In the 113th Congress, a nearly identical amendment received 57 votes in the Senate, including 13 Democrats.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CRUZ and CORNYN introduce Reciprocity bill

Post by philip964 »

If your state allows constitutional concealed carry ( no LTC) would you then be able to conceal carry in other states?

And so why is this not law now, since the Republicans controlled everything a few months ago?

Or is this a feel good bill that will go nowhere, since it would seem no Dem will vote for it in the house?

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I see this bill has been referred to the judiciary committee where Chuck Grassley is chairman. He is also a cosponsor of the bill.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-con ... te-bill/69

The House of Representatives has a bill introduced also. But the chairman of that committee in the House is Jerry Nadler of New York. He as an F rating by the NRA, and has a long anti gun voting record.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-con ... 7D&r=1&s=1

I don't see this getting out of committee in the House. I'm sad that the senate didn't take action when the house passed similar legislation a while back. I think this is primarily lip service to look good on their records.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Where were these two when McConnel had the house passed bill sitting on his desk?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

crazy2medic wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:36 pm Where were these two when McConnel had the house passed bill sitting on his desk?
:iagree:

Doing what congressmen do? Making back door deals? You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Agreed that it's an outstanding bill. Would have been a lot better a few months ago.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

crazy2medic wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:36 pm Where were these two when McConnel had the house passed bill sitting on his desk?
Exactly. Typical politics...meaningless gesture at this point.

Next week, some Republican Senator will probably introduce a bill to repeal Obamacare, now that there's no chance of the House going along.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Wasn't Cornyn the guy who helped take this out of the combined Senate version of the Fix NICS Bill just a few months ago? A bill that was already passed by the House and might have been fixable in the Reconciliation process.....?

This new bill feels like Bread and Circuses. It has zero chance in the House unless the GOP has a plan to attach it to something the Dems want desperately to pass.

:bigear:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Earl E. Byrd

Post by Earl E. Byrd »

philip964 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 am If your state allows constitutional concealed carry ( no LTC) would you then be able to conceal carry in other states?

And so why is this not law now, since the Republicans controlled everything a few months ago?

Or is this a feel good bill that will go nowhere, since it would seem no Dem will vote for it in the house?
On target! It's all a show to fool the rubes. The same as bills repealing Obamacare before Trump was elected.
Shoot early. Shoot often.
And hit what you shoot.

priusron

Post by priusron »

Some states with constitutional carry also will issue a concealed carry permit. Arizona is one of those.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Waste of ink and paper or electrons. They had two years to make something happen and actually advance gun rights and they utterly failed. I'd be shocked if that opportunity ever came up again in my lifetime.
Psalm 91:2

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Balderdash!

Given the current government shutdown and its various bull , I'm more concerned about USACE, NFS, TVA and NPS campground reservations. Where I CC is nobody's business except mine.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Oldgringo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 pm Balderdash!

Given the current government shutdown and its various bull , I'm more concerned about USACE, NFS, TVA and NPS campground reservations. Where I CC is nobody's business except mine.
Thes things don't need congressional approval, they are rules set by the individual agencies. President Trump could make these changes with his mighty pen and a phone call. He has had 2 years to do this and he is a New Yorker who has advanced criminalization of bump stock ownership. Never spoken in support of a repricrocity bill. Nor done anything directly to support our right to bear. While he has given us a conservative Supreme Court justice, He has just nominated as Attorney General that is squishy at best in support of our Second Amendment.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Liberty wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:27 am
Oldgringo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 pm Balderdash!

Thes things don't need congressional approval, they are rules set by the individual agencies. President Trump could make these changes with his mighty pen and a phone call. He has had 2 years to do this and he is a New Yorker who has advanced criminalization of bump stock ownership. Never spoken in support of a repricrocity bill. Nor done anything directly to support our right to bear. While he has given us a conservative Supreme Court justice, He has just nominated as Attorney General that is squishy at best in support of our Second Amendment.
You think Chuck, & Nancy are big 2A supporters? Those two AH's could support America instead of their personal agendas.

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

SQLGeek wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:23 pm Waste of ink and paper or electrons. They had two years to make something happen and actually advance gun rights and they utterly failed. I'd be shocked if that opportunity ever came up again in my lifetime.
:iagree:

I'm sure somebody will give them an A for effort though.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”