Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#1

Post by KLB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:53 pm

[1.] Federal law, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), bans gun and ammunition possession not just by felons, illegal aliens, illegal drug users, and the like, but also by aliens who have been perfectly legally "admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa."
[2.] "Possess[ing]" and "receiv[ing]" has been viewed as including temporary rental of a gun at a shooting range; indeed, that was one of the bases for prosecution in Rehaif. Rehaif was illegally present, but the statutory definition of possession and receipt would apply equally to all the categories of forbidden possessors and recipients, including people legally admitted under a nonimmigrant visa. Likewise, see U.S. v. Moussaoui (11th Cir. 2010), in which the defendant was indeed a legal visitor prosecuted for possession at a shooting range.
http://reason.com/volokh/2019/01/15/man ... -foreign-s

When I was a kid, we had exchange students stay with us on multiple occasions. Though I don't recall taking any of them to a shooting range, we could easily have done so.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25273
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#2

Post by The Annoyed Man » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 pm

KLB wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:53 pm
[1.] Federal law, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), bans gun and ammunition possession not just by felons, illegal aliens, illegal drug users, and the like, but also by aliens who have been perfectly legally "admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa."
[2.] "Possess[ing]" and "receiv[ing]" has been viewed as including temporary rental of a gun at a shooting range; indeed, that was one of the bases for prosecution in Rehaif. Rehaif was illegally present, but the statutory definition of possession and receipt would apply equally to all the categories of forbidden possessors and recipients, including people legally admitted under a nonimmigrant visa. Likewise, see U.S. v. Moussaoui (11th Cir. 2010), in which the defendant was indeed a legal visitor prosecuted for possession at a shooting range.
http://reason.com/volokh/2019/01/15/man ... -foreign-s

When I was a kid, we had exchange students stay with us on multiple occasions. Though I don't recall taking any of them to a shooting range, we could easily have done so.
I guess I’m an outlaw then. About 4-5 years ago, we hosted a couple of South Korean college students for a week or two who were interning at our church for a couple of months during summer. One was a young woman, and the other a young man....both in their early 20s. After finding out that the guy had already done his compulsory military service in the ROK Army, I took him too the local Bass Pro pistol range and we shot several different handguns together.

Should I turn myself in? :lol:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#3

Post by crazy2medic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 pm

I guess I’m an outlaw then. About 4-5 years ago, we hosted a couple of South Korean college students for a week or two who were interning at our church for a couple of months during summer. One was a young woman, and the other a young man....both in their early 20s. After finding out that the guy had already done his compulsory military service in the ROK Army, I took him too the local Bass Pro pistol range and we shot several different handguns together.

Should I turn myself in?

Don't ask, Don't tell!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention


stroo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Coppell

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#4

Post by stroo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:12 am

I have repeatedly seen foreign visitors shooting at a couple of DFW ranges.


stroo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Coppell

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#5

Post by stroo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 am

If you read further in the article, legality depends on the country and the type of visa they have. Very confusing.


Killadocg23
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:38 pm
Location: Corpus Christi/ Houston

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#6

Post by Killadocg23 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:32 pm

18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2)....

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25273
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#7

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:19 am

Killadocg23 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:32 pm
18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2)....

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.
Well, I’m not going peacefully, you hear me!!! :lol:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 633
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#8

Post by strogg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:39 am

There's this indoor range I used to go to where seriously half of their clientele are clearly holding nonimmigrant visas. It was an odd place, but I genuinely commend them for spreading the positive aspects of our second amendment rights in a safe manner. The place would've had more foreigners shooting, but they hold a strict standard of safety. If the potential customer can't show the basic manual of arms for a handgun, they can't shoot.

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4508
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#9

Post by RPBrown » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:28 am

Oh no!!! I am now a criminal. Earlier in the year, as you may recall, I took a couple to the range from New Jersey. :biggrinjester:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image


crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#10

Post by crazy2medic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:52 am

RPBrown wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:28 am
Oh no!!! I am now a criminal. Earlier in the year, as you may recall, I took a couple to the range from New Jersey. :biggrinjester:
The horror! Are you gonna turn yourself in or lay low until the Statute of limitations runs out?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4665
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

#11

Post by ScottDLS » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:38 am

Killadocg23 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:32 pm
18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2)....

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.
I think you'll find the gray area falls in what is meant by "possessing". If a visitor uses a firearm at the range under the supervision of the range personnel and is not allowed to remove it from the area or "control" the firearm without the range personnel being present, I think you could make a strong argument that the alien did not "possess" the firearm for purposes of this law. It's quite common for foreign tourists to do supervised shooting at ranges, particularly in Las Vegas, and I doubt they make them all buy Nevada hunting licenses. Seems ATF would have dealt with this given the many ranges with FFL's.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”