Report: More Than 1,700 Red Flag Orders in 2018

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

https://freebeacon.com/issues/report-mo ... s-in-2018/
Brandon Combs, president of the Firearms Policy Coalition, said his group "has consistently opposed ‘red flag' legislation at every level of government because they are a truly dangerous, unjust, unconstitutional, and immoral policy."

He said the laws punish people who haven't yet committed a crime and can create deadly situations when police attempt to confiscate firearms from those subject to an order.

"These Minority Report-style ‘pre-crime' laws target people for disarmament and seizure of their property before they even commit a crime," Combs told the Free Beacon. "In America, we have a foundational presumption that people are innocent until they are proven guilty of a crime. But ‘red flag' confiscation laws turn our very constitutional principles on their head and make everyone presumptively guilty unless they can prove they are not."
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Report: More Than 1,700 Red Flag Orders in 2018

Post by PriestTheRunner »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am Report: More Than 1,700 Red Flag Orders in 2018
https://freebeacon.com/issues/report-mo ... s-in-2018/
Just wait until red flag rulings are enforced with no-knock raids... Probably already happening.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I wonder how many had their guns returned... I'm going to guess very few.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I've got so many concerns about what seem like such a reasonable idea at a glance, that I can't even list them all.

- That's a lot of Red Flag Orders. Is the pace continuing?
- There doesn't seem to be a judge / trial involved.
- Someone could be "Red Flagged" by a person that does simply doesn't like the way you drive.
- It seems too much like legal "Swatting"
- At least one gun owner has died being "Red Flagged"
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Bushwhacker
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bushwhacker »

jason812 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06 am I wonder how many had their guns returned... I'm going to guess very few.
That's another good reason to have a cache somewhere in the current environment.
I prefer peace, but if trouble must come, let it be in my time that my children may know peace.

https://i.imgur.com/BcHTIe2.jpg

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

Bushwhacker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:47 pm
jason812 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06 am I wonder how many had their guns returned... I'm going to guess very few.
That's another good reason to have a cache somewhere in the current environment.
At least a pretty good idea what part of the lake you had that boating accident in when a bunch of guns went overboard :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Bill Anderson

Post by Bill Anderson »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:43 pm
At least a pretty good idea what part of the lake you had that boating accident in when a bunch of guns went overboard :biggrinjester:
A good deer rifle and a few boxes of ammunition should be sufficient to recover my stolen guns or, at a minimum, kill a dozen or so members of the theft ring and take their guns as partial compensation.

Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

Bill Anderson wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:25 pm
bblhd672 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:43 pm
A good deer rifle and a few boxes of ammunition should be sufficient to recover my stolen guns or, at a minimum, kill a dozen or so members of the theft ring and take their guns as partial compensation.
:iagree:

A ccw gun, a rifle, and some ammo is enough for each cache. I'm not trying to arm an infantry squad.
I prefer peace, but if trouble must come, let it be in my time that my children may know peace.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

If the DemocRats succeed in flipping Texas, don't be surprised to see it happen here.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:10 pm If the DemocRats succeed in flipping Texas, don't be surprised to see it happen here.
That's another good reason to have at least one local cache in the current political environment.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

I understand the angst of these orders but realistically how do you handle a family member that is mentally deranged and armed? One that you actually fear may use a firearm to hurt themselves or others but one that you personally can not take their firearms. There are actually very bad people out there that we may personally know and yet we have no control over what they might do. Obviously it should take a court and legal procedure but right now what do we have? We all have to be realistic that there are people that should not have firearms.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

rotor wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:27 pm I understand the angst of these orders but realistically how do you handle a family member that is mentally deranged and armed? One that you actually fear may use a firearm to hurt themselves or others but one that you personally can not take their firearms. There are actually very bad people out there that we may personally know and yet we have no control over what they might do. Obviously it should take a court and legal procedure but right now what do we have? We all have to be realistic that there are people that should not have firearms.
[/quot

Pray alot!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

apostate

Post by apostate »

rotor wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:27 pm We all have to be realistic that there are people that should not have firearms.
No doubt those people also shouldn't have sharp objects, motor vehicles, et cetera. If somebody is truly a danger to themselves and others, the tool isn't the real problem.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

apostate wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:39 pm
rotor wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:27 pm We all have to be realistic that there are people that should not have firearms.
No doubt those people also shouldn't have sharp objects, motor vehicles, et cetera. If somebody is truly a danger to themselves and others, the tool isn't the real problem.
I agree but how, if we know someone is a risk to others, do we do something to prevent them from hurting others or themselves. Right now I do not see any legal methods. It is not the instrument that they might use but the fact that there are dangerous people out there that can take other lives.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

rotor wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:41 pm
apostate wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:39 pm
I agree but how, if we know someone is a risk to others, do we do something to prevent them from hurting others or themselves. Right now I do not see any legal methods. It is not the instrument that they might use but the fact that there are dangerous people out there that can take other lives.
There are involuntary commitment procedures, but absent the person committing crime it is a very high bar to clear. As it should be. In fact I believe it involves a jury trial in Texas. If you can prove to a jury that a person is such a danger to themselves that they should be committed, then do so. If you want the State to take away their access to guns, then take away their car keys, sharp objects, and lock them up too.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”