British Couple (Joel & Lia) Go Shooting

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: British Couple (Joel & Lia) Go Shooting

Post by puma guy »

Malawler wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 pm I wonder if customs let them keep the coozie when they went home? :biggrinjester:
You mean the case for M&P cameras? "rlol"
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

mayor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:04 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm I remember when Britain was Great. Good for them for being willing to try it out, but when the zombie apocalypse happens, they’re gonna die.

Now, why didn’t the guy behind the counter start them with a .22, like he should have?
And, when I started my boys out with semi auto, I only put 1 round it the magazine until they had an idea of what to expect.
I follow that rule with EVERY gun I'm shooting for the first time. Why not?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

About 8 yrs ago a young couple that took one of my training classes wanted to give a whole day on the range to the wife's parents when they came to Texas on vacation. They were from Massachusetts. She had never held a real gun and he had shot a .22 about 5 or 6 times (I ask and that was 5-6 shots not range trips) when he was a little kid. They had a pretty warped view of the Texas gun culture and those who carry. Well indoctrinated by the media and politicians in Mass.
They agreed somewhat reluctantly.
We visited a little and they relaxed.
I showed them how their rifle functioned. (Ruger 10/22)
We went over the 4 major safety rules.
They learned sight alignment, target acquisition, trigger control.
She was real nervous so I shot one first to let her see that the "kickback" was not an issue.
They both had a blast shooting. Started on a bench w/ a rest and progressed to a post then off hand. They were shooting at 30yrds.
Progressed to handguns. Same routine as above. Springfield Armory XD in 9mm.
Started by me shooting one first. One bullet at a time for about 3. Then loaded 5 and one at a time on command. Not at all what they expected.
She did one string of 2 then 3 rapid fire. That was all the rapid fire she wanted. He loved it.
I separated them and let her shoot one at a time til she got tired then let him shoot.
He learned to move and shoot. Loved that. Then he wanted the AK-47. :drool: "rlol"
Same learning drill as above. I don't remember how many rounds he shot but until he got tired. He sure killed a lot of silhouette bad guys.
The couple said they went back to Mass with a much different attitude about the Texas gun culture and shooters. Never stopped talking about how much fun they had that day.
Whether we want to admit it or not we are ambassadors for the 2nd Amendment. Lets be a good one when we have the chance. :patriot:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Well put LT! Well put. :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

joe817 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 pm Well put LT! Well put. :thumbs2:
She had a good time and He had an absolute blast. He shot the AK bout as fast as I could load mags.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

That was a great video. It's great to see newbies enjoying shooting and having a good time.

Many years ago, when the Egyptians were building the pyramids, I was an NRA certified instructor and taught a few people to shoot handguns, usually privately or with a spouse, some shooting for the very first time. After a couple of warm-up single shots, one of the first things I did was get them to overcome their fear of the gun. So many 1st-timers act like a grenade's going to go off in their hand or something, and they need to get past it.

I would discuss this with them, and have them shoot with a perfectly straight face. Say, hold the gun out with one hand and fire 10 rounds with a blank, relaxed facial expression - no squinting, clenching teeth, drawing the head back, etc. Then I'd have them do it while talking about what they ate for supper, or a movie or ball game or whatever. Usually I'd demonstrate first. Afterwards they'd break out laughing, I guess from the bottled-up tension.

It's fun, I miss it. I love working with first timers like this, they get such a kick out of it and it's a gas watching them have so much fun.
-Ruark

proudpirate
Banned

Post by proudpirate »

I live in Austin and have been to both Red's locations. I would imagine this has not been good press for them. Hopefully a lesson learned for their staff.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

proudpirate wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:06 pm I live in Austin and have been to both Red's locations. I would imagine this has not been good press for them. Hopefully a lesson learned for their staff.
Actually, I thought the RSO did a good job. As soon as he saw the muzzle, he reacted and pushed it back down range. He even turned the camera before scolding her about it.

With newbies, it doesn't matter how many times you review the 4 rules, the majority of them will have to have it re-enforced again out on the range.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”