Texas House backs open display of handguns in cars

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas House backs open display of handguns in cars

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Lena wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:43 am Looking for opinions here:
I got into a discussion with a capt in our agency on this well the concealed part, a zip up pistol case/rug in a vehicle's seat in open view, he said illegal as showing a handgun present I asked him to open it nope no G32 but a Butterfinger bar, no firearm, he was not impressed, well illegal he did say no then yet it was prior...… We returned to our briefing I still had zipper case, just got a strange look and not discussed anymore at all.

So was a zipped up case illegal to you???????
So he thinks that having any case large enough to hold a pistol makes the pistol not concealed? IANAL, but that's not how I read the law. Better not carry a purse around this guy.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I got into a discussion with a capt in our agency on this well the concealed part, a zip up pistol case/rug in a vehicle's seat in open view, he said illegal as showing a handgun present I asked him to open it nope no G32 but a Butterfinger bar, no firearm, he was not impressed, well illegal he did say no then yet it was prior...… We returned to our briefing I still had zipper case, just got a strange look and not discussed anymore at all.

Nope.

If you use his logic, my entire wardrobe (except for underwear/socks) would be considered illegal as it always conceals a firearm. :shock:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flechero wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:14 am

Nope.

If you use his logic, my entire wardrobe (except for underwear/socks) would be considered illegal as it always conceals a firearm. :shock:
I think the "logic" is that anything which could possibly conceal a firearm must always be assumed to be carrying a firearm for purposes of applying the law. By that "logic" everyone is always carrying a concealed firearm (unless they are naked), and we should just issue citations to every single person in a 30.06 posted location.

I'm using the word "logic" very loosely here.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Your captain is an idiot...that's my opinion.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:50 pm
How did this bill even get past Bonnen's Democrat committee gatekeepers for a floor vote?
There are more good bills progressing than would have been the case, had people not responded to my article. Bonnen will never admit it, but the pressure was intense!

Thanks to everyone who got involved, your efforts are being rewarded.

Chas.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:56 am
How did this bill even get past Bonnen's Democrat committee gatekeepers for a floor vote?
There are more good bills progressing than would have been the case, had people not responded to my article. Bonnen will never admit it, but the pressure was intense!

Chas.
Sir, your leadership makes the difference. Thank you.

polekitty

Post by polekitty »

So this means I can remove my handgun while still in my shoulder or belt holster from my person and place it in plain sight (front seat of the car) right? It sounds like if I remove my handgun from my shoulder or belt holster while sitting in the car and place it in another holster and while doing so it is displayed by another person, I just broke the law, right?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

polekitty wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm So this means I can remove my handgun while still in my shoulder or belt holster from my person and place it in plain sight (front seat of the car) right? It sounds like if I remove my handgun from my shoulder or belt holster while sitting in the car and place it in another holster and while doing so it is displayed by another person, I just broke the law, right?
Not yet. Still needs companion bill to pass, and then governor's signature.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Chas.
That’s good to know. Thanks for all the hard work, Charles.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

polekitty

Post by polekitty »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:58 pm
polekitty wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm So this means I can remove my handgun while still in my shoulder or belt holster from my person and place it in plain sight (front seat of the car) right? It sounds like if I remove my handgun from my shoulder or belt holster while sitting in the car and place it in another holster and while doing so it is displayed by another person, I just broke the law, right?
Not yet. Still needs companion bill to pass, and then governor's signature.
Yes sir, understand that. After the bill becomes law (if it gets that far). That posses another question. The act Takes effect, in September, but it only applies to offenses after January 2020. Don't understand that either.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Chas.
I appreciate you continuing to champion gun rights, Charles.

A small gain is still a gain, even if the situation still makes me want to spit.
Psalm 91:2

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Schrodinger's gun case? "rlol"
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Chas.

That's good to hear, I haven't seen a lot of movement on some of them, and I was not getting much positive feedback from committee members, or even my reps.
Thanks for your help Charles, and for keeping us updated. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

No. He doesn't know the law.

Lena

Post by Lena »

Agreed and very biased to LTC citizens, he is now long gone thankfully
Stay Safe

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”