Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
O.F.Fascist
Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Corpus Christi, TX, United States of America

Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#1

Post by O.F.Fascist » Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 pm



https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... 2006978774

There has already been a similar case that got a positive ruling in the 5th circuit.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#2

Post by TreyHouston » Thu May 16, 2019 8:29 pm

OK, this is a great after-the-fact
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 12831
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#3

Post by C-dub » Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am

I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

User avatar

joe817
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9301
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#4

Post by joe817 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 am

C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am
I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
:iagree: They are doing everything they can to stay in the limelight. What is it going to take for them to realize they are doing more harm than good in advancing 2A rights?
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#5

Post by bblhd672 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 pm

joe817 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 am
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am
I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
:iagree: They are doing everything they can to stay in the limelight. What is it going to take for them to realize they are doing more harm than good in advancing 2A rights?
:iagree:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager


Topic author
O.F.Fascist
Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Corpus Christi, TX, United States of America

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#6

Post by O.F.Fascist » Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm

C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am
I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
CJ and OCT aren't the ones who sued. I just used his share because his post is public; to view the post on Lone Star Gun Rights' page one has to be logged in.

Why do you think this isn't a serious issue? There have been court rulings on this before. When people with government paychecks work to limit our rights, I support anyone pushing back against them on any front.

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#7

Post by Bitter Clinger » Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 pm

O.F.Fascist wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am
I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
CJ and OCT aren't the ones who sued. I just used his share because his post is public; to view the post on Lone Star Gun Rights' page one has to be logged in.

Why do you think this isn't a serious issue? There have been court rulings on this before. When people with government paychecks work to limit our rights, I support anyone pushing back against them on any front.
Really? I am suing because you wouldn't let me post on your Facebook page? Complete nothing burger.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7462
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#8

Post by anygunanywhere » Fri May 17, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm guessing that all of the issues with social media banning conservatives is just bull then since obviously some folks here think this is also bull. Some conservatives are more valuable than others and their opinions are more important. Goose meet gander.
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#9

Post by Bitter Clinger » Fri May 17, 2019 12:40 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:35 pm
I'm guessing that all of the issues with social media banning conservatives is just bull then since obviously some folks here think this is also bull. Some conservatives are more valuable than others and their opinions are more important. Goose meet gander.
He was not banned by Facebook. He was "unfriended" or whatever the moronic Facebook term would be.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 12831
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#10

Post by C-dub » Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm

O.F.Fascist wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am
I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
CJ and OCT aren't the ones who sued. I just used his share because his post is public; to view the post on Lone Star Gun Rights' page one has to be logged in.

Why do you think this isn't a serious issue? There have been court rulings on this before. When people with government paychecks work to limit our rights, I support anyone pushing back against them on any front.
That is interesting. I have no idea why I thought something this ridiculous had anything to do with him. Yeah, there's a little sarcasm in there, but mostly a curious mistake on my part.

However, I do fail to understand how being unfriended on FB is lawsuit worthy. The two guys or group are not being fined or jailed or in other way prohibited from spreading their message. They're just not being allowed to do it on this FB page. Just as Bitter Clinger noted, he wasn't even banned by FB. Which, BTW, also would not be an infringement of their First Amendment rights. FB is a private company. They can ban or control whatever they want on their platform. Maybe if Pocahontas Warren gets her way FB will become a public utility or something and then these guys will have a leg to stand on. Personally, I think this lawsuit is ridiculous and childish, but that's just me. Or perhaps not.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider


Topic author
O.F.Fascist
Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Corpus Christi, TX, United States of America

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#11

Post by O.F.Fascist » Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:40 pm
anygunanywhere wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:35 pm
I'm guessing that all of the issues with social media banning conservatives is just bull then since obviously some folks here think this is also bull. Some conservatives are more valuable than others and their opinions are more important. Goose meet gander.
He was not banned by Facebook. He was "unfriended" or whatever the moronic Facebook term would be.
Individuals have been blocked from posting, myself as well. My post also was not vulgar or threatening but it was deleted and I was blocked from posting. It is interesting that Bonnen (or his people) left up some posts that were but deleted people merely expressing dissent; it seems they want to paint any criticism of him as being a small "fringe" minority. The issue is that as a government employee he is using Facebook as work platforms so that opens it up to be a place where he can be criticised at.

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#12

Post by Bitter Clinger » Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 pm

C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm
O.F.Fascist wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am
I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
CJ and OCT aren't the ones who sued. I just used his share because his post is public; to view the post on Lone Star Gun Rights' page one has to be logged in.

Why do you think this isn't a serious issue? There have been court rulings on this before. When people with government paychecks work to limit our rights, I support anyone pushing back against them on any front.
That is interesting. I have no idea why I thought something this ridiculous had anything to do with him. Yeah, there's a little sarcasm in there, but mostly a curious mistake on my part.

However, I do fail to understand how being unfriended on FB is lawsuit worthy. The two guys or group are not being fined or jailed or in other way prohibited from spreading their message. They're just not being allowed to do it on this FB page. Just as Bitter Clinger noted, he wasn't even banned by FB. Which, BTW, also would not be an infringement of their First Amendment rights. FB is a private company. They can ban or control whatever they want on their platform. Maybe if Pocahontas Warren gets her way FB will become a public utility or something and then these guys will have a leg to stand on. Personally, I think this lawsuit is ridiculous and childish, but that's just me. Or perhaps not.
:iagree: Glad to know not everyone was asleep during Civics class! :thumbs2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח


Topic author
O.F.Fascist
Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Corpus Christi, TX, United States of America

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#13

Post by O.F.Fascist » Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm
O.F.Fascist wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am
I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
CJ and OCT aren't the ones who sued. I just used his share because his post is public; to view the post on Lone Star Gun Rights' page one has to be logged in.

Why do you think this isn't a serious issue? There have been court rulings on this before. When people with government paychecks work to limit our rights, I support anyone pushing back against them on any front.
That is interesting. I have no idea why I thought something this ridiculous had anything to do with him. Yeah, there's a little sarcasm in there, but mostly a curious mistake on my part.

However, I do fail to understand how being unfriended on FB is lawsuit worthy. The two guys or group are not being fined or jailed or in other way prohibited from spreading their message. They're just not being allowed to do it on this FB page. Just as Bitter Clinger noted, he wasn't even banned by FB. Which, BTW, also would not be an infringement of their First Amendment rights. FB is a private company. They can ban or control whatever they want on their platform. Maybe if Pocahontas Warren gets her way FB will become a public utility or something and then these guys will have a leg to stand on. Personally, I think this lawsuit is ridiculous and childish, but that's just me. Or perhaps not.
:iagree: Glad to know not everyone was asleep during Civics class! :thumbs2:
The part he missed is that in this instance it is a government employee who is silencing speech on a public page, not Facebook. Its one thing if a person keeps a private personal page, but it is another when a government employee is utilizing a public page in which they interact with the public.

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#14

Post by Bitter Clinger » Fri May 17, 2019 1:31 pm

O.F.Fascist wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm
O.F.Fascist wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am
I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
CJ and OCT aren't the ones who sued. I just used his share because his post is public; to view the post on Lone Star Gun Rights' page one has to be logged in.

Why do you think this isn't a serious issue? There have been court rulings on this before. When people with government paychecks work to limit our rights, I support anyone pushing back against them on any front.
That is interesting. I have no idea why I thought something this ridiculous had anything to do with him. Yeah, there's a little sarcasm in there, but mostly a curious mistake on my part.

However, I do fail to understand how being unfriended on FB is lawsuit worthy. The two guys or group are not being fined or jailed or in other way prohibited from spreading their message. They're just not being allowed to do it on this FB page. Just as Bitter Clinger noted, he wasn't even banned by FB. Which, BTW, also would not be an infringement of their First Amendment rights. FB is a private company. They can ban or control whatever they want on their platform. Maybe if Pocahontas Warren gets her way FB will become a public utility or something and then these guys will have a leg to stand on. Personally, I think this lawsuit is ridiculous and childish, but that's just me. Or perhaps not.
:iagree: Glad to know not everyone was asleep during Civics class! :thumbs2:
The part he missed is that in this instance it is a government employee who is silencing speech on a public page, not Facebook.
Two wrongs don't make a right. Its childish and its harassment IMHO. YMMV.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 12831
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

#15

Post by C-dub » Fri May 17, 2019 1:32 pm

O.F.Fascist wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm
O.F.Fascist wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am
I’m no fan of Bonnen, but Grisham can’t be serious about this. What a nuisance! And that’s my nice word for him on this forum.
CJ and OCT aren't the ones who sued. I just used his share because his post is public; to view the post on Lone Star Gun Rights' page one has to be logged in.

Why do you think this isn't a serious issue? There have been court rulings on this before. When people with government paychecks work to limit our rights, I support anyone pushing back against them on any front.
That is interesting. I have no idea why I thought something this ridiculous had anything to do with him. Yeah, there's a little sarcasm in there, but mostly a curious mistake on my part.

However, I do fail to understand how being unfriended on FB is lawsuit worthy. The two guys or group are not being fined or jailed or in other way prohibited from spreading their message. They're just not being allowed to do it on this FB page. Just as Bitter Clinger noted, he wasn't even banned by FB. Which, BTW, also would not be an infringement of their First Amendment rights. FB is a private company. They can ban or control whatever they want on their platform. Maybe if Pocahontas Warren gets her way FB will become a public utility or something and then these guys will have a leg to stand on. Personally, I think this lawsuit is ridiculous and childish, but that's just me. Or perhaps not.
:iagree: Glad to know not everyone was asleep during Civics class! :thumbs2:
The part he missed is that in this instance it is a government employee who is silencing speech on a public page, not Facebook. Its one thing if a person keeps a private personal page, but it is another when a government employee is utilizing a public page in which they interact with the public.
Your own title says FACEBOOK. Therefore, I'm assuming this was not a government page with a .gov extension. Do you have any skin in this game? Are you one of the group that was banned?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”