Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
Havens
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#1

Post by Havens » Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 am

Has anyone read up on HB2286?

As of now it has passed in the House, and is now going through the Senate.

My brother and I have different views from the text.
The way I comprehend it, there will no longer be a wait time when purchasing a suppressor nor a tax stamp. The way he reads it, there will no longer be restrictions on making homemade suppressors. However he thinks the tax stamp will still be there.

Can someone clear this up for me?

https://legiscan.com/TX/bill/HB2286/2019
EDC: Sig P938
Tactical pistol: Sig P226 tacops
Hunting sidearm: Glock 40 10mm
Game rifle: Remington 700 weatherby 7mm pre buyout
Currently training for Spartan races in order to get into shape for Run n Gun matches


Papa_Tiger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#2

Post by Papa_Tiger » Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 am

Havens wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 am
Has anyone read up on HB2286?

As of now it has passed in the House, and is now going through the Senate.

My brother and I have different views from the text.
The way I comprehend it, there will no longer be a wait time when purchasing a suppressor nor a tax stamp. The way he reads it, there will no longer be restrictions on making homemade suppressors. However he thinks the tax stamp will still be there.

Can someone clear this up for me?

https://legiscan.com/TX/bill/HB2286/2019
At this point it doesn't matter as HB 2286 is dead, so current law (Federal and State) rules.


Topic author
Havens
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#3

Post by Havens » Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm

It looks like it is just waiting for the first hearing in the Senate. I’m not sure if it’s a dead bill just yet.
Attachments
D7774017-B8DF-4565-803F-5780FFF57892.png
EDC: Sig P938
Tactical pistol: Sig P226 tacops
Hunting sidearm: Glock 40 10mm
Game rifle: Remington 700 weatherby 7mm pre buyout
Currently training for Spartan races in order to get into shape for Run n Gun matches

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#4

Post by bblhd672 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:20 pm

Havens wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm
It looks like it is just waiting for the first hearing in the Senate. I’m not sure if it’s a dead bill just yet.
The 2019 legislative session ended on Monday, everything not passed by both house and senate is dead.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager


O.F.Fascist
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Corpus Christi, TX, United States of America

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#5

Post by O.F.Fascist » Wed May 29, 2019 6:26 pm

Havens wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm
It looks like it is just waiting for the first hearing in the Senate. I’m not sure if it’s a dead bill just yet.
The session is over its dead. It was killed by the Republican chairwoman, Joan Huffman, because she choose not to give it a hearing.

She also killed or neutered a few other pro-liberty bills.
JoanHuffman.jpg


Topic author
Havens
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#6

Post by Havens » Thu May 30, 2019 9:26 am

Thank you for the clarification. I’ll quit checking the LegiScan site for updates. Looks like I’ll be getting another AR build instead of a suppressor.
EDC: Sig P938
Tactical pistol: Sig P226 tacops
Hunting sidearm: Glock 40 10mm
Game rifle: Remington 700 weatherby 7mm pre buyout
Currently training for Spartan races in order to get into shape for Run n Gun matches

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 25528
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#7

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu May 30, 2019 10:17 am

ATF regs would still apply, no matter what law a state passes. Regulation of suppressors still falls under federal jurisdiction, and if the feds say you have to wait for a tax stamp, then you have to wait, and you still have to pay the fee.

The fastest way to get a suppressor remains filing a form 1 and building your own. (And, it’s a lot cheaper too.)
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


Rubicon
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 am

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#8

Post by Rubicon » Thu May 30, 2019 11:19 am

Laws like this never had a chance thanks to Dennis Bonnen and Dan Patrick.
the die is cast

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 25528
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#9

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu May 30, 2019 1:51 pm

Rubicon wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:19 am
Laws like this never had a chance thanks to Dennis Bonnen and Dan Patrick.
Even if they weren’t a problem, suppressor regulation is STIILL under ATF jurisdiction. The state can pass all the laws it wants, and if you violate ATF suppressor regs and get found out, ATF agents will still show up to arrest you, and put you in federal pounding in the butt prison.....and there’s nothing the state can do to stop that. This needs to be fixed at the federal level.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1830
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#10

Post by TreyHouston » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:42 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:51 pm
Rubicon wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:19 am
Laws like this never had a chance thanks to Dennis Bonnen and Dan Patrick.
Even if they weren’t a problem, suppressor regulation is STIILL under ATF jurisdiction. The state can pass all the laws it wants, and if you violate ATF suppressor regs and get found out, ATF agents will still show up to arrest you, and put you in federal pounding in the butt prison.....and there’s nothing the state can do to stop that. This needs to be fixed at the federal level.
I understand your thinking TAM. But you also have to look at it the other way with sanctuary cities and all the drug laws being passed by states including Colorado which is about to legalize psychedelic mushrooms. I personally prefer some baseline federal laws.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


MaduroBU
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:11 am

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#11

Post by MaduroBU » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Texas won't throw you into the TDC for violating the NFA right now, but the Feds have no problem with giving you free room and board along with some seriously hardcore new buddies if you break that or any other Federal law. What would this bill change other than encouraging people to make life ruining errors for the sake of saving $200 and a few months wait?

I'd love to get my cans faster, but not so much that I'll risk becoming a mob enforcer's prison wife.

User avatar

Grumpy1993
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#12

Post by Grumpy1993 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:48 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:51 pm
Rubicon wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:19 am
Laws like this never had a chance thanks to Dennis Bonnen and Dan Patrick.
Even if they weren’t a problem, suppressor regulation is STIILL under ATF jurisdiction. The state can pass all the laws it wants, and if you violate ATF suppressor regs and get found out, ATF agents will still show up to arrest you, and put you in federal pounding in the butt prison.....and there’s nothing the state can do to stop that. This needs to be fixed at the federal level.
Marijuana is illegal per Federal law. The DEA has jurisdiction throughout the nation. They can send pot smokers and growers to that same butt prison.....and there’s nothing the state can do to stop that.

BUT

In practice, there's a big difference between smoking a joint in Colorado and doing the same thing in Texas. For somebody growing a couple of plants in their back yard for personal use (no interstate commerce) there's an even bigger difference.

As a second order effect, does anybody want to lay odds on whether it's "fixed at the federal level" first for marijuana or suppressors?
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 25528
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#13

Post by The Annoyed Man » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:15 pm

TreyHouston wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:42 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:51 pm
Rubicon wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:19 am
Laws like this never had a chance thanks to Dennis Bonnen and Dan Patrick.
Even if they weren’t a problem, suppressor regulation is STIILL under ATF jurisdiction. The state can pass all the laws it wants, and if you violate ATF suppressor regs and get found out, ATF agents will still show up to arrest you, and put you in federal pounding in the butt prison.....and there’s nothing the state can do to stop that. This needs to be fixed at the federal level.
I understand your thinking TAM. But you also have to look at it the other way with sanctuary cities and all the drug laws being passed by states including Colorado which is about to legalize psychedelic mushrooms. I personally prefer some baseline federal laws.
Grumpy1993 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:48 pm
[quote="The Annoyed Man" post_id=<a href="tel:1251356">1251356</a> time=<a href="tel:1559242290">1559242290</a> user_id=2929]
[quote=Rubicon post_id=<a href="tel:1251335">1251335</a> time=<a href="tel:1559233142">1559233142</a> user_id=23090]
Laws like this never had a chance thanks to Dennis Bonnen and Dan Patrick.
Even if they weren’t a problem, suppressor regulation is STIILL under ATF jurisdiction. The state can pass all the laws it wants, and if you violate ATF suppressor regs and get found out, ATF agents will still show up to arrest you, and put you in federal pounding in the butt prison.....and there’s nothing the state can do to stop that. This needs to be fixed at the federal level.
[/quote]

Marijuana is illegal per Federal law. The DEA has jurisdiction throughout the nation. They can send pot smokers and growers to that same butt prison.....and there’s nothing the state can do to stop that.

BUT

In practice, there's a big difference between smoking a joint in Colorado and doing the same thing in Texas. For somebody growing a couple of plants in their back yard for personal use (no interstate commerce) there's an even bigger difference.

As a second order effect, does anybody want to lay odds on whether it's "fixed at the federal level" first for marijuana or suppressors?
[/quote]
You’re both right..... BUT.... the problem still remains at the federal level; and the feds being the "generous and understanding souls" that they usually are, you’ll still end up in a prison where Preparation H is a survival tool.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


O.F.Fascist
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:04 am
Location: Corpus Christi, TX, United States of America

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#14

Post by O.F.Fascist » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:53 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:17 am
ATF regs would still apply, no matter what law a state passes. Regulation of suppressors still falls under federal jurisdiction, and if the feds say you have to wait for a tax stamp, then you have to wait, and you still have to pay the fee.

The fastest way to get a suppressor remains filing a form 1 and building your own. (And, it’s a lot cheaper too.)
The average person would be more likely to have a run in with state and local law enforcement, not the feds. Yes the Feds could still charge someone if they were found out, but if it were legal by state law and our police couldn't cooperate with the feds on this issue then you would see a whole lot less people going to prison solely for having a suppressor.


Rubicon
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 am

Re: Possible New Suppressor Bill HB 2286

#15

Post by Rubicon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:29 pm

If y'all are OK with the Texas Republican'ts killing this bill, I'm OK with whatever federal restrictions Trump puts on silencers.

"What difference – at this point, what difference does it make?"
the die is cast

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”