PA Supreme Court - Concealed carry is not RAS of a crime

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SA-TX
Posts in topic: 1

PA Supreme Court - Concealed carry is not RAS of a crime

Post by SA-TX »

The case is the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania vs. Michael J. Hicks, decided on 5/31/19. The opinion can be downloaded from here https://law.justia.com/cases/pennsylvan ... -2017.html.

I note a few things:

- It follows many other jurisdictions and the SCOTUS in that it declines to create a "firearms exception" to Terry vs. Ohio.

- PA has long been gun-friendly but I wondered if the composition of the PA Supreme Court or Legislature had changed that. Thankfully, at least for PA SC, the answer appears to be no.

- While there were concurrence opinions, I believe the outcome was unanimous. :hurry:

- I believe that the lead opinion was a majority meaning this is binding precedent

- The analogy of car driver's licenses and the SCOTUS case of Prouse was prominently featured

I don't know if the Texas SC or CCA has decided this for us but I think this opinion is excellent.

SA-TX

Papa_Tiger

Re: PA Supreme Court - Concealed carry is not RAS of a crime

Post by Papa_Tiger »

SA-TX wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:57 pm The case is the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania vs. Michael J. Hicks, decided on 5/31/19. The opinion can be downloaded from here https://law.justia.com/cases/pennsylvan ... -2017.html.

I note a few things:

- It follows many other jurisdictions and the SCOTUS in that it declines to create a "firearms exception" to Terry vs. Ohio.

- PA has long been gun-friendly but I wondered if the composition of the PA Supreme Court or Legislature had changed that. Thankfully, at least for PA SC, the answer appears to be no.

- While there were concurrence opinions, I believe the outcome was unanimous. :hurry:

- I believe that the lead opinion was a majority meaning this is binding precedent

- The analogy of car driver's licenses and the SCOTUS case of Prouse was prominently featured

I don't know if the Texas SC or CCA has decided this for us but I think this opinion is excellent.

SA-TX
I'm sure that PA's version of CLEAT is up in arms about how this will make the jobs of law enforcement officers much more difficult, make it harder to determine the good guys from the bad, decrease officer safety and take another tool out of their tool chest.

We heard this exact tripe MANY times this session when the legislature was discussing the "Fine only class C misdemeanor = no arrest absent articulable present danger to the public" bill/amendments that were being sponsored by Rep. Moody. I don't agree with him on much, but on this issue we definitely have common ground.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I was always under the impression that the mere possession of a firearm including vehicle carry and concealed carry was not RAS for a crime already and could not be used as a reason for a search.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

RAS?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

kayt00 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:06 pmRAS?
Reasonable articulatable suspicion.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”