Trump: Banning Suppressors?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


DynamicDan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:07 pm

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#16

Post by DynamicDan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:22 pm

Write him a letter.


MaduroBU
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 536
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:11 am

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#17

Post by MaduroBU » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:47 pm

Does the NFA have a severability clause? Just thinking aloud.

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9213
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#18

Post by Beiruty » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:40 am

BTW, how many bump stock were surrendered. 0.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#19

Post by Lynyrd » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:15 am

It looks like the Supreme Court will decide today whether or not to hear the Kansas case of Jeremy Kettler.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... 5LaSzsHiWs
Kettler failed to pay a $200 tax and file ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) paperwork to register the suppressor, which he purchased from a local Army-Navy surplus store. The owner of the store, Shane Cox, was not licensed to manufacture such accessories, and was also found guilty for illegal manufacture and marketing.

Although federal law requires silencers to be registered per the NFA, Kansas state law says that all firearms, accessories and ammo manufactured and possessed inside the state are exempt from federal law.
In the petition, Kettler’s legal team explained that the 10th Circuit found that silencers are considered accessories and therefore not granted Second Amendment protection.

“Under that sweeping logic, Congress could ban all ammunition without violating the Second Amendment. That cannot be correct,” the team argued. “The panel’s sole rationale for holding that silencers were not protected was that silencers were not ‘bearable arms,’ a rationale that would apply equally to ammunition. That improper analysis warrants reversal.”
Do what you say you're gonna do.


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2017
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#20

Post by K.Mooneyham » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 am

President Trump is a businessman and NOT a knowledgeable guy when it comes to firearms. I believe that he is getting advice from those that are either ignorant on the subject, or are flat out lying to him. I wish those who are knowledgeable and in a position to converse with him would do a better job of educating him on the subject.

User avatar

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#21

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am

Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?

Ordering a solvent trap if they are banned will be just like ordering those Glock auto sears off Wish.com. If you build your own, you won’t be able to use it anywhere on public.

This is not ok.

If we roll over on this, there will be more to come.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 7416
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#22

Post by anygunanywhere » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 pm

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am
Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?

Ordering a solvent trap if they are banned will be just like ordering those Glock auto sears off Wish.com. If you build your own, you won’t be able to use it anywhere on public.

This is not ok.

If we roll over on this, there will be more to come.
What do you mean if “we” roll over on this?
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood

User avatar

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#23

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:25 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 pm
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am
Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?

Ordering a solvent trap if they are banned will be just like ordering those Glock auto sears off Wish.com. If you build your own, you won’t be able to use it anywhere on public.

This is not ok.

If we roll over on this, there will be more to come.
What do you mean if “we” roll over on this?
The collective “we.”

“It’s fine, it won’t affect me, I don’t own any suppressors” - that mentality.

Specifically I want the nations largest gun rights organization to step in somehow and be publicly against this idea.

I’m not trying to be combative or argumentative but this is pretty unnerving.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 7416
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#24

Post by anygunanywhere » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 pm

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:25 pm
anygunanywhere wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 pm
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am
Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?

Ordering a solvent trap if they are banned will be just like ordering those Glock auto sears off Wish.com. If you build your own, you won’t be able to use it anywhere on public.

This is not ok.

If we roll over on this, there will be more to come.
What do you mean if “we” roll over on this?
The collective “we.”

“It’s fine, it won’t affect me, I don’t own any suppressors” - that mentality.

Specifically I want the nations largest gun rights organization to step in somehow and be publicly against this idea.

I’m not trying to be combative or argumentative but this is pretty unnerving.
I understand. Thank you for clarifying.
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 25283
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#25

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:03 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 pm
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am
Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?

Ordering a solvent trap if they are banned will be just like ordering those Glock auto sears off Wish.com. If you build your own, you won’t be able to use it anywhere on public.

This is not ok.

If we roll over on this, there will be more to come.
What do you mean if “we” roll over on this?
There’s no "rolling over" for me. If ATF agents show up in overwhelming force like a SWAT team to take my suppressors, I’m going to choose to live to fight another day, and not take them under fire. They can take them and leave in peace. Why? Because having already done so twice, I already know how to manufacture my own. And they work really well, too. If I see a need strong enough to warrant defying the gov’t, I will do so.

I seriously doubt that confiscating suppressors would be enough trigger to kick off a CW2. There’s only something like 250,000 active suppressor registrations right now, and - just as with firearms - a number of those are cases of one person owning multiple cans. So it’s not a big enough population to motivate an uprising. A lot of the nation's 100+ million gun owners will say that a suppressor ban doesn’t affect them, and they won’t commit to a struggle over something that affects less than 1/4 of 1% of them. It’s going to take something like a national level confiscation of all semiautomatic rifles to trigger a CW2.....and THAT would be the kind of need that would motivate me to manufacture a suppressor in secret. Because at that point, federal law enforcement no longer has any legitimacy. In fact NOTHING about federal gov’t has any legitimacy at that point. When it turns upon the people, it becomes our duty to abolish and replace it.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

bbhack
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm
Location: San Antonio Area

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#26

Post by bbhack » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:43 pm

K.Mooneyham wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 am
President Trump is a businessman and NOT a knowledgeable guy when it comes to firearms. I believe that he is getting advice from those that are either ignorant on the subject, or are flat out lying to him. I wish those who are knowledgeable and in a position to converse with him would do a better job of educating him on the subject.
This. Many things he says are meant to confuse the opposition. In this case, he just does not know better. There are a lot of balls in the air, and as much as he should know better, he just does not. I'm sure he's been made aware by now.
No Trespassing Violators Will Be Prosecuted

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 17534
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#27

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 pm

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am
Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?
Don't expect a public statement, but also don't assume the NRA is doing nothing. Public beating of one's chest is what is done by people and organizations that have no impact. They can't make a difference so they just make noise. As much as I'd like to say more, I cannot.

Chas.

User avatar

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#28

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 pm
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am
Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?
Don't expect a public statement, but also don't assume the NRA is doing nothing. Public beating of one's chest is what is done by people and organizations that have no impact. They can't make a difference so they just make noise. As much as I'd like to say more, I cannot.

Chas.
Thank you for commenting, it’s appreciated.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 7416
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#29

Post by anygunanywhere » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:29 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:03 pm
anygunanywhere wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 pm
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am
Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?

Ordering a solvent trap if they are banned will be just like ordering those Glock auto sears off Wish.com. If you build your own, you won’t be able to use it anywhere on public.

This is not ok.

If we roll over on this, there will be more to come.
What do you mean if “we” roll over on this?
There’s no "rolling over" for me. If ATF agents show up in overwhelming force like a SWAT team to take my suppressors, I’m going to choose to live to fight another day, and not take them under fire. They can take them and leave in peace. Why? Because having already done so twice, I already know how to manufacture my own. And they work really well, too. If I see a need strong enough to warrant defying the gov’t, I will do so.

I seriously doubt that confiscating suppressors would be enough trigger to kick off a CW2. There’s only something like 250,000 active suppressor registrations right now, and - just as with firearms - a number of those are cases of one person owning multiple cans. So it’s not a big enough population to motivate an uprising. A lot of the nation's 100+ million gun owners will say that a suppressor ban doesn’t affect them, and they won’t commit to a struggle over something that affects less than 1/4 of 1% of them. It’s going to take something like a national level confiscation of all semiautomatic rifles to trigger a CW2.....and THAT would be the kind of need that would motivate me to manufacture a suppressor in secret. Because at that point, federal law enforcement no longer has any legitimacy. In fact NOTHING about federal gov’t has any legitimacy at that point. When it turns upon the people, it becomes our duty to abolish and replace it.
The first ones that will “roll over” are the RINOs in DC, the ones who “support” the Second Amendment. Same as they have been rolling over since since the illegal immigrant in chief took office.
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood


clarionite
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

#30

Post by clarionite » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 pm
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am
Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?
Don't expect a public statement, but also don't assume the NRA is doing nothing. Public beating of one's chest is what is done by people and organizations that have no impact. They can't make a difference so they just make noise. As much as I'd like to say more, I cannot.

Chas.
Charles,

I trust you and the NRA are doing what you can. This issue seems to me to be a perfect example of the left being able to sculpt the discussion in a way that gets them what they want. Using the misleading term Silencer... Leaning on the Hollywood misconception that Suppressors make firearms undetectable. Having a de facto ban (I know we can get them through a very lengthy and expensive process, but most don't) on what should be an encouraged accessory for all hunters. It just seems like we've already ceded the high ground on a fight that should have been a no brainer when explained with logic.

I was very disappointed that the Hearing Protection Act wasn't passed in the first two years when we held both chambers and the white house.

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”