Did anti texting and driving laws reduce accidents?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Did anti texting and driving laws reduce accidents?

Post by jason812 »

Any data on whether the texting and driving ban has reduced automobile accidents? Judging by the amount of people I see driving while playing on their phones, I am willing to say no, the new law didn't do anything. This law was passed in the wake of a tragedy much like the excuses for passing new gun control laws.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Did anti texting and driving laws reduce accidents?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jason812 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 pm Any data on whether the texting and driving ban has reduced automobile accidents? Judging by the amount of people I see driving while playing on their phones, I am willing to say no, the new law didn't do anything. This law was passed in the wake of a tragedy much like the excuses for passing new gun control laws.
I did not even realize it was law until I saw it posted on this forum. I am continuously seeing people playing on their phones while driving LEO has to see them do it so I figure the morons simply put the phone down when a cop is around. When it gets a person it will be during an accident after the cops see you were texting at the same time as the wreck.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:34 pm
jason812 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 pm Any data on whether the texting and driving ban has reduced automobile accidents? Judging by the amount of people I see driving while playing on their phones, I am willing to say no, the new law didn't do anything. This law was passed in the wake of a tragedy much like the excuses for passing new gun control laws.
I did not even realize it was law until I saw it posted on this forum. I am continuously seeing people playing on their phones while driving LEO has to see them do it so I figure the morons simply put the phone down when a cop is around. When it gets a person it will be during an accident after the cops see you were texting at the same time as the wreck.
I see LEOs driving and playing on their phones.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

After the law went into effect ( about a week) and there was a frequent advertisement on the radio about not using your cell phone, I saw a Police Officer talking on his phone. I honked and pointed at my phone. I got flipped off. Same as yesterday when a guy was not moving after the light turned green. I tapped the horn . He flipped me off and proceeded to drive down the road swerving like a drunk as he had his head buried in his phone.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Riding on a Metro bus to jury duty on the Katy Freeway I saw many driver's using their phones while driving. I drive with my full attention why risk an accident?

Topic author
jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

My point is that the lawmakers "just had to do something" to prevent another texting while driving crash. This law came about because of the 13 church members that were killed in a texting while driving crash. The lawmakers could stand up and tell the people they did something to prevent another tragedy.

Passing laws based on emotions do not work. The common sense texting while driving law didn't stop people from texting and driving just like common sense gun control will not stop another mass shooting.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I think texting and driving should be elevated to a more serious crime, something up along the level of DUI. I drive a freeway (I-10) every day and you wouldn't believe what I see out there.
-Ruark

KLB

Post by KLB »

At least some of what you see re drivers with phones may relate to GPS maps. I don't text or make phone calls, but I do sometimes need to rely on GPS.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

KLB wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:40 am At least some of what you see re drivers with phones may relate to GPS maps. I don't text or make phone calls, but I do sometimes need to rely on GPS.
I don’t believe the use of a hand held device by the driver is legal period.

03Lightningrocks

WTR wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:55 am
KLB wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:40 am At least some of what you see re drivers with phones may relate to GPS maps. I don't text or make phone calls, but I do sometimes need to rely on GPS.
I had to considered the use of the GPS. I bet you are right. Some of them probably are doing it for that reason.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:32 am
WTR wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:55 am
I had to considered the use of the GPS. I bet you are right. Some of them probably are doing it for that reason.
(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution of an offense under this section that the operator used a portable wireless communication device:
(1) in conjunction with a hands-free device, as defined by Section 545.425;
(2) to navigate using a global positioning system or navigation system;

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/tex ... e_545-4251
NRA Endowment Member

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

jason812 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:25 am
Passing laws based on emotions do not work. The common sense texting while driving law didn't stop people from texting and driving just like common sense gun control will not stop another mass shooting.
They have not.
I will repeat what many others have said,
'We are a nation of laws that needs NO MORE LAWS. We need better enforcement and stricter penalties.'
I earned my commercial license over 40 yrs ago. Things have changed over the yrs on the road. When first
enacted in Cali, that no cell thing exempted commercial drivers for a time (not sure of the time frame) and
I believe it's now illegal. I have thankfully been in Texas for a few years. I think that 1st responders are
actually exempt from that. I'll check for a statute.

:txflag: :patriot:

03Lightningrocks

pushpullpete wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:24 pm
jason812 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:25 am
They have not.
I will repeat what many others have said,
'We are a nation of laws that needs NO MORE LAWS. We need better enforcement and stricter penalties.'
I earned my commercial license over 40 yrs ago. Things have changed over the yrs on the road. When first
enacted in Cali, that no cell thing exempted commercial drivers for a time (not sure of the time frame) and
I believe it's now illegal. I have thankfully been in Texas for a few years. I think that 1st responders are
actually exempt from that. I'll check for a statute.

:txflag: :patriot:
One cannot compare laws forbidding talking on a cell phone with gun laws. There is no constitutional right to talk on the cell phone. There is a constitutional right to keep and bare arms.

aero10

Post by aero10 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:34 pm When it gets a person it will be during an accident after the cops see you were texting at the same time as the wreck.
I've heard it's that, but also insurance companies could start using it as a reason to deny coverage.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”