My new hobby

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Chemist45
Posts in topic: 1

My new hobby

Post by Chemist45 »

From time to time I have donated to the Republican party.
As a result, I get at least a letter a week requesting more.
About half of these come with a postage paid envelope.
My new hobby is to throw away the "Survey" or other junk in the envelope and replace it with a hand signed letter something to the effect of:

Unless and until the GOP stops talking about gun control, you will not see a dime from me.
Read my lips: If the Republican senate passes the first gun control legislation since Bill Clinton, you will become the minority party and there will be a Democrat in the Whitehouse in 2021. We will not support you financially and we will stay home in droves.
I know, you are thinking “Where else can gun owners go?” For the answer please ask George Bush how he enjoyed his second term.
Regretfully,
Chemist 45 (I actually use my name and address as I want them to know where it came from)

Yes, I know this will likely never be read by anyone in any position of power. But:
1) It costs me nothing.
2) It costs them something.
3) If enough of us do this, it may get their attention.
4) It makes me smile.

rotor

Re: My new hobby

Post by rotor »

All of these groups pull the same stunts. A questionnaire with then a request for money. They don't really give a darn about the questionnaire.

Your new hobby though may hurt "the cause" as they don't read it and if it is one of those return postage guaranteed envelopes they have to pay the postage.

My routine is this, I donate money to the one that I want to loose as anybody that gets my money always seems to loose. HRC for example. Trump gets no money from me.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I dunno. I think I like the idea.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

My hobby leans more towards seeing how many swear words Indian telemarketers know. Also my best time so far is 23 minutes of keeping them on the phone before they realize I’m screwing with them.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Tex1961 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:50 am My hobby leans more towards seeing how many swear words Indian telemarketers know. Also my best time so far is 23 minutes of keeping them on the phone before they realize I’m screwing with them.
This is fun to do. Or mess with the pretend law firm that is going to issue an arrest warrant and they have tried to contact you with no results. It's as if I am too stupid to not know how they would send me a legal document. They do not like being questioned.

Or the people with a thick foreign accent saying they are with the government grant department. It's funny how quick they are to say bad words to you like they need more training.

I have heard that you can take the pre paid postage and tape it to a brick. The post office will mail it and the company has to pay by weight. That maybe an urban legend as I know nobody personally that has done this.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

I would put a blank Avery label over the address and use it for other mail on their dime.

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

My hobby leans more towards seeing how many swear words Indian telemarketers know. Also my best time so far is 23 minutes of keeping them on the phone before they realize I’m screwing with them.
I love doing this. I got one of them so upset that he told me my address, and said he was going to send Jihadis to cut my head off with a sword. I told him, please note that I live in Texas, and it's not smart to bring a sword to a gun fight in Texas.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Malawler wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:44 am I would put a blank Avery label over the address and use it for other mail on their dime.
I believe that would be mail fraud. No Bueno. Carries real penalties.
IANAL. Just my opinion.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”