Killeen Newspaper Poll

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Killeen Newspaper Poll

Post by crazy2medic »

Combat trained troops should be able to carry on base! Gun free zone once again makes you fish in a barrel!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Oldgringo »

crazy2medic wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:43 pm Combat trained troops should be able to carry on base! Gun free zone once again makes you fish in a barrel!
My point exactly!

Topic author
AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AF-Odin »

Nidal Hasan had a security clearance and went through a NICS check for the FN pistol he bought. I was on Ft Hood at the time of the shooting and one of the buildings used by my organization STILL has doors that show damage from the SWAT team's battering rams when they thought that there might have been more than one gunman. I had several hundred unarmed personnel sheltering in my buildings and the ONLY thing I had to defend myself and them was a replica 1912 saber. I and many of my staff were LTC holders and many were shooting competitors yet we risked a federal felony and loss of our job if we carried on post. Couple of years later, another Soldier went off and shot several folks, but it truly was workplace violence in an unarmed victim zone. Yep, still bitter and not sure arming a bunch of 18-19 year olds who have to be watched constantly while on the range is the answer (seen way too many NDs on ranges and overseas), but would really like LTC holders to be able to carry on post.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Oldgringo »

AF-Odin wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:54 pm Nidal Hasan had a security clearance and went through a NICS check for the FN pistol he bought. I was on Ft Hood at the time of the shooting and one of the buildings used by my organization STILL has doors that show damage from the SWAT team's battering rams when they thought that there might have been more than one gunman. I had several hundred unarmed personnel sheltering in my buildings and the ONLY thing I had to defend myself and them was a replica 1912 saber. I and many of my staff were LTC holders and many were shooting competitors yet we risked a federal felony and loss of our job if we carried on post. Couple of years later, another Soldier went off and shot several folks, but it truly was workplace violence in an unarmed victim zone. Yep, still bitter and not sure arming a bunch of 18-19 year olds who have to be watched constantly while on the range is the answer (seen way too many NDs on ranges and overseas), but would really like LTC holders to be able to carry on post.
Good points, both of them!

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

Effective 1/1/16, Texas Military Department (TMD) members and any Texas LTC holder can carry concealed on TMD property. LTC holders can carry openly.
https://tmd.texas.gov/Data/Sites/1/medi ... policy.pdf

Effective 1/17/18, then Adjutant General Major General Nichols extended the policy to 1/17/20.
https://tmd.texas.gov/Data/Sites/1/medi ... rearms.pdf

As stated in the policy, it covers ONLY TMD property. For instance, there is a Reserves building on Camp Mabry in Austin. This is federal property and not covered by the policy. Nor are classified or sensitive areas. Also TMD members must follow their respective service's uniform regulations or instructions. Thus, they cannot openly carry a personal weapon.
Texas Military Department
DIRECTIVE
Number 5210.01
17 January 2018
NGTX-RMP
SUBJECT: Privately Owned Firearms
Reference: See enclosure
1. PURPOSE. To ensure the safety of all personnel and members of the public, who
work at, or use Texas Military Department (TMD) facilities and establish policy with
regard to Personally Owned Firearms (POFs). This directive supersedes policy
memorandum JFTX P15-08 Privately Owned Firearms, dated 1 December 2015.
2. APPLICABILITY AND SCOPE. This issuance applies to TMD employees, civilian
visitors, contractors, and service members of all other military service components while
on any TMD installation or facility.
3. POLICY.
a. Pursuant to Texas Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, anyone
issued a handgun license recognized and valid in the State of Texas may possess a
handgun on their person or in a properly secured vehicle while on TMD installations or
facilities. This authorization encompasses all buildings and property under the control
of the TMD.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”