TX: Politics of Guns in Texas

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

TX: Politics of Guns in Texas

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... -in-texas/

Debate of who should have guns in Texas.

Editorial by Houston Channel 2 journalist after murder of police officer by a felon who was not allowed by law to have a gun, buy a gun and conceal carry a gun. Oh and illegal to murder with a gun. And despite what the Houston police chief said afterwards, new laws affecting honest citizens wouldn’t have changed that.

Rafe

Re: TX: Politics of Guns in Texas

Post by Rafe »

Doesn't change anything, but the article is actually a reprint from the exclusively blue The Texas Tribune. Why the KPRC website would reprint it, I don't know. But pretty much all things NBC now lean far enough to the left that they look like they're walking sideways.

To its credit, though, the article at least gave a tiny bit of insight that the "boyfriend loophole" (why are all these things called "loopholes" by antis?) issue in the Senate was tied to a bill that included other stuff like transgender rights expansion and allowing U.S. citizens to be tried in tribal courts. Bundling stuff into federal bills almost always means that a seemingly straightforward issue really isn't, that it's been clustered in with other politician's pet issues. But evidently Art Acevedo doesn't understand that, either. :waiting:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

What is the deal wth LT Gov Dan Patrick Saying he is willing to take an arrow from NRA?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Beiruty wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:49 pm What is the deal wth LT Gov Dan Patrick Saying he is willing to take an arrow from NRA?
Seems like Dan Patrick is trying hard lately not to be elected governor.

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Aggie_engr »

LT Gov Dan Patrick has publicly stated his support for universal background checks to take advantage of the crisis that have happened in recent Texas history via mass shootings. He says he wants to “protect the family and the friend transfer, however stranger to stranger sales should be subjected to a NICS check.” Patrick claims “it takes a minute, it’s not a big deal.” He’s a RINO that needs replacing.

Even Ted Cruz won’t touch him, which says a lot.
“On Saturday, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, a strong NRA supporter, ducked questions about Patrick's stand.

"I'll let the state officials focus on state policy," Cruz said after speaking at the Texas Faith, Family & Freedom Forum, a gathering of social conservatives in Austin. "I'm going to let Dan speak for himself."

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Aggie_engr »

My message to Dan Patrick, and any other Texas political critter, is that we cannot afford an inch of compromise!!! These times are critical and we must draw that line in the sand lest we end up in the same situation that Virginia has unfortunately found themselves in.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

I wrote told him absolutely not. Law abiding people aren't selling guns to criminals.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I will not vote for any of the incumbent Republicans on my ballot. If the Lt Governor sets the plan for the session, I would think he/she has input from the Governor. In my mind, the last session is a reflection of the Republican party in Texas.

Not only Patrick's recent statements about firearms, but what is being done to the Alamo and property taxes is just too much to give them any more support. Abbott is the governor, one would think he could put a stop to JEB!'s boy from ruining the Alamo.

Patrick is from Maryland. Perhaps he needs to take a Texas history course.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”