Texas to the rescue of our 2nd Amendment rights

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 10

Texas to the rescue of our 2nd Amendment rights

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

srothstein
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Texas to the rescue of our 2nd Amendment rights

Post by srothstein »

I like this. Unfortunately, and I am not a lawyer nor an expert in this area, I see a single problem with it. Texas may not have standing for the lawsuit since it is not an injured party. I really want to see this case go through and it is asking for a remedy the courts could order. It is not asking for a specific winner to be determined, just that the legislature be ordered to choose the electors. This might not make a difference to the election overall, as the legislatures could appoint the Biden electors, "bowing to the expressed will of the people" anyway. But I like the concept and the case argument.
Steve Rothstein

philip964
Posts in topic: 15

Post by philip964 »

I like this, way to go Texas!!!

Puts it all in one big lawsuit.

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaki ... eme-court/

So simple I understand it.

Ted Cruz offered to argue it before SCOTUS.

Last edited by philip964 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Papa_Tiger »

philip964 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:40 am I like this, way to go Texas!!!

Puts it all in one big lawsuit.
The easier to be dismissed for lack of standing. If I understand correctly, Alito will be the one handling initial review on this.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 13

Post by parabelum »

srothstein wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:28 am I like this. Unfortunately, and I am not a lawyer nor an expert in this area, I see a single problem with it. Texas may not have standing for the lawsuit since it is not an injured party. I really want to see this case go through and it is asking for a remedy the courts could order. It is not asking for a specific winner to be determined, just that the legislature be ordered to choose the electors. This might not make a difference to the election overall, as the legislatures could appoint the Biden electors, "bowing to the expressed will of the people" anyway. But I like the concept and the case argument.

Paxton writes:

“The states violated statutes enacted by their duly elected legislatures, thereby violating the Constitution. By ignoring both state and federal law, these states have not only tainted the integrity of their own citizens’ vote, but of Texas and every other state that held lawful elections,”

So I read that to be the “injured party”. IANAL of course.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Flightmare »

parabelum wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 am
srothstein wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:28 am I like this. Unfortunately, and I am not a lawyer nor an expert in this area, I see a single problem with it. Texas may not have standing for the lawsuit since it is not an injured party. I really want to see this case go through and it is asking for a remedy the courts could order. It is not asking for a specific winner to be determined, just that the legislature be ordered to choose the electors. This might not make a difference to the election overall, as the legislatures could appoint the Biden electors, "bowing to the expressed will of the people" anyway. But I like the concept and the case argument.

Paxton writes:

“The states violated statutes enacted by their duly elected legislatures, thereby violating the Constitution. By ignoring both state and federal law, these states have not only tainted the integrity of their own citizens’ vote, but of Texas and every other state that held lawful elections,”

I wonder if the same logic then shoots the NPV (National Popular Vote) movement down as well.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

srothstein
Posts in topic: 7

Post by srothstein »

parabelum wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 amPaxton writes:

AndyC wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 amTexas is claiming otherwise: "By these unlawful acts, the Defendant States have not only tainted the integrity of their own citizens’ vote, but their actions have also debased the votes of citizens in Plaintiff State and other States that remained loyal to the Constitution.”"

Thanks. I did not see the claims by Paxton. I am not sure that will hold up in court but I will certainly hope it works.
Steve Rothstein

parabelum
Posts in topic: 13

Post by parabelum »

It would be interesting to see other Trump states begin to roll out similar suits.

philip964
Posts in topic: 15

Post by philip964 »

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:52 pm https://news.yahoo.com/texas-asks-u-sup ... 30191.html

Reuters view on it.
Reuters says our Wall Street owners and the Communist Chinese Party are already celebrating their victory in defeating the democratic process and USA. Don't mess with their mojo
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

JDstar

Post by JDstar »

Today's decision in the similar (if not stronger) case from Pennsylvania does not bode well for this suit. It appears likely that SCOTUS is going to set this one out.

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Parabellum wrote:
It would be interesting to see other Trump states begin to roll out similar suits.
Funny you should ask:
https://www.rt.com/usa/509073-louisiana ... eme-court/

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Apparently Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and South Dakota have joined Texas in the lawsuit.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”