A Different Type of Secession Is Already Happening in the USA

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

I think this article describes the major issues well. Crime, 2nd Amendment, and self-defense are reaching a breaking point in the urban vs. rural divide:

My wife and I are appalled to pay high taxes to the local crooks like John Wylie Price
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A Different Type of Secession Is Already Happening in the USA

Post by LTUME1978 »

I agree with that article and am thinking of moving to a more rural area myself. I do everything I can to stay out of Harris County but that is not always possible.

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

The term 'flyover country' says enough to me about the difference in politics between the urban centers and the rest of the US.

The wife and I have been looking for a nice place out in the country to move to once the nest is empty.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

IMHO, the author's use of the the term "secession" is counter-productive. He is really talking about "voting with the feet", which Americans have been doing forever. The suburban settlement pattern in particular is 70 years in the making.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:41 pm IMHO, the author's use of the the term "secession" is counter-productive. He is really talking about "voting with the feet", which Americans have been doing forever. The suburban settlement pattern in particular is 70 years in the making.
And some poll data (https://www.realclearpolicy.com/article ... 58884.html) that suggests the picture is not as clear cut as the Townhall author implied. If you found a rural retirement or recreational property that you and your wife like, at the right price, how many of you would highly weight your decision to buy that property based on the precinct vote tallies? Same for suburban dwellings -- I have bought five suburban homes, and we mostly considered property values, schools, parks, etc., not my neighbors' politics. I usually vote republican, and now I just happen to live in a red-rock republican corner of Harris County. But that had mostly nothing to do with why we chose our present subdivision, and I think that's true for most folks.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Absolutely agree with the article, my brother in upstate NY hates the way NYC is run and how voting is opposite of how upstate votes.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Oct 2020: Smaller American cities see big interest from urban flight
Now that more Americans can work and attend school from anywhere, they are increasingly looking to leave large urban centers for smaller, less dense cities with cheaper housing.

...The top cities people moved out of: New York, San Francisco and Chicago.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Being about 10 years from retirement, our profession limits our ability to get rural enough for our tastes at this time.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”