So is your five shot revolver enough anymore

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

So is your five shot revolver enough anymore

Post by philip964 »

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/regio ... -intruders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Couple inside was murdered. Florida. Video shows 3 men breaking in the front door. All three were armed.

VMI77

Re: So is your five shot revolver enough anymore

Post by VMI77 »

Horrible web site with ridiculous pop ups and advertisements. But who would use a 5 shot revolver as a primary weapon for home defense?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

15+1 in my Glock 19 at my bedside with another magazine within arm's reach. I need to get my wife to shoot my AR-15 more so I can stage that as well.

I would never want to be limited to 5 rounds in my own home unless it was a shotgun full of 00 buck.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Lots of folks relatively new to firearms ownership buy a single "home defense" gun without a great lot of comparison, forethought or knowledge. It can be a gut-wrench reaction to criminal activity that has stricken close to home, but since they themselves haven't considered real violence visiting their home in the form of multiple intruders/assailants they may not consider available firepower (multiple rounds) or training as important as simply having a gun. These are gun-owners, but I would surmise that precious few of them are shooters, or students of the gun. They have taken the first step or two in becoming gun owners, and with a little urging might become more if their choices don't end up lacking in time of need.

There is certainly a place for five-shot revolvers, but there are better tools for primary home defense.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

Five shots is probably enough. I'll be using a pump shotgun.
I only expect to get one or two night time intruders before they win the battle, maybe none if they are smart attackers.
You may have the last word.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

5 rounds is more than enough. We all know that the only thing you need is a double barrel shotgun. If theres ever a problem got out to the balcony and fire two blasts outside the house. You don't need 5 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Funny you should ask that. I've been thinking more about the issue, mostly in reaction to discussions like this one http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... l+shooting . My response was to start carrying at least one speed loader's worth of extra .357 in my other front pocket.

Edited: Whoops, I see that article and comments were about home defense. Being inside my home opens up more possibilities. Having said that, what I carry in my home and what I have the quickest access to is still my 5-shot .357, now with the speed loader, too.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I normally have a 10mm Delta Elite with either 8+1 or 9+1 loaded and a minimum of two magazines quickly available. Along with a 44 Bulldog with at least one speedloader handy.

Since I was trained using a S&W Model 19 for a duty weapon, I am actually reasonably quick with a speedloader.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Maybe even 4 shots if you keep the hammer on an empty chamber. Of course 4 well placed shots with a .357 against 3 men would be good but one can never have too much ammo and I personally can't load with a quick loader that fast.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

But I don't carry a 5-shot revolver, I carry a 6+1 Glock 9mm, so I'm good, right? :mrgreen:

Home defense is either 8 rounds of buckshot or 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 64g .223, so moot point as well. :biggrinjester:

jmra

Post by jmra »

JSThane wrote:But I don't carry a 5-shot revolver, I carry a 6+1 Glock 9mm, so I'm good, right? :mrgreen:

Home defense is either 8 rounds of buckshot or 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 64g .223, so moot point as well. :biggrinjester:
My 6+1 Glock 9mm is now an 8+1.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I keep a glock 20C with light and laser bedside along with 30 rounds. It's my theory that it will get me enough time to get my shotgun
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”