Lott - Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across US

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Lott - Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across US

Post by TXBO »

As a husband and father of two girls, it's nice to see the increase in women who refuse to be a victim. In 1996, there were no women in my first CHL class. Ten years later, there were 3 out of about 20. Last year, my wife had about half of her class that was women. Last week my daughter had 21 of 30 that were women.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TXBO wrote:As a husband and father of two girls, it's nice to see the increase in women who refuse to be a victim. In 1996, there were no women in my first CHL class. Ten years later, there were 3 out of about 20. Last year, my wife had about half of her class that was women. Last week my daughter had 21 of 30 that were women.
I agree.... I've made it a personal "mission field" to convince women to arm themselves, and to educate them in basic handgun safety.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

Given that concealed carry holders have increased from 4.6M to 12.8M and overall violent crime is down 25%, one could argue that Obama has been the most success crime fighter ever in the White House. :bigear:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

wow! I can't tell you all of the ways I love this!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

joe817

Post by joe817 »

What an interesting read! Thanks for posting Andy! :tiphat:

As it was only released yesterday, perhaps it will get some well deserved national news coverage.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TXBO wrote:As a husband and father of two girls, it's nice to see the increase in women who refuse to be a victim. In 1996, there were no women in my first CHL class. Ten years later, there were 3 out of about 20. Last year, my wife had about half of her class that was women. Last week my daughter had 21 of 30 that were women.
I agree.... I've made it a personal "mission field" to convince women to arm themselves, and to educate them in basic handgun safety.
I just read further. 26.7% of Texas CHL holders are now women.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

:confused5 I see no mention of the Hispanic legal citizens on the chart. I wonder why?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

lildave40 wrote::confused5 I see no mention of the Hispanic legal citizens on the chart. I wonder why?
Maybe hispanics are considered white for the purposes of this statistic? Form 4473 asks TWO questions about race/ethnicity: https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download
10.a Ethnicity:
◻︎ Hispanic or Latino
◻︎ Not Hispanic or Latino

10.b Race
◻︎ American Indian or Alaska Native
◻︎ Asian
◻︎ Black or African American
◻︎ Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
◻︎ White
Thus, it is possible to check "Hispanic or Latino" under Ethnicity, and "White" under Race.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
lildave40 wrote::confused5 I see no mention of the Hispanic legal citizens on the chart. I wonder why?
Maybe hispanics are considered white for the purposes of this statistic? Form 4473 asks TWO questions about race/ethnicity:
To my knowledge, Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. For example I have a friend from Cuba who is black. His race is black and his ethnicity is Hispanic.

When the race/ ethnicity lines really got confusing is when the term "African American" came into play. "African" an an ethnicity, not a race, but for some reason it is accepted.

I have a white friend from Africa, that always checks "African American" when filling out any paperwork. It drives people (especially Government agencies) literally insane. He is however truly an African American.

On the other hand, my SO best friend is from the Islands and get offended when people call her African American. She says (in her Island voice) "I'm not African American, I am Jamaican American"
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

If I am not mistaken, the FBI statistics count Hispanic as white.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

steveincowtown wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Maybe hispanics are considered white for the purposes of this statistic? Form 4473 asks TWO questions about race/ethnicity:
To my knowledge, Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. For example I have a friend from Cuba who is black. His race is black and his ethnicity is Hispanic.

When the race/ ethnicity lines really got confusing is when the term "African American" came into play. "African" an an ethnicity, not a race, but for some reason it is accepted.

I have a white friend from Africa, that always checks "African American" when filling out any paperwork. It drives people (especially Government agencies) literally insane. He is however truly an African American.

On the other hand, my SO best friend is from the Islands and get offended when people call her African American. She says (in her Island voice) "I'm not African American, I am Jamaican American"
I have met exactly two true "African-Americans." Both were from South Africa, originally of Dutch descent, and both were paler and blonder than I am.

As for "race," just as there are many different physical characteristics, "races," of "white" people from different areas, there are many different "races" of black people. Black, white, brown, etc., is not a race, it's an approximation of skin color only, and if it's perfectly acceptable to call me "white," then it should be perfectly acceptable to use the other colors as well.

But it's not race, and never has been.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I just read further. 26.7% of Texas CHL holders are now women.[/quote]

That is very good news.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

If they use the fingerprint data, the choices for race, in the fingerprint database, are:

White
Black
Asian/Pacific Islander
Native American
Unknown

And, in addition, there is the question: "Ethnicity: Hispanic or Non-Hispanic"?

So, Hispanic is not considered to be a race, but an ethnicity.

Also, we cannot make multiple choices, which sometime leads to interesting conversations with applicants!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

given the limited "choices", why wouldn't those from South of the Rio Grande be more closely identified as Native Americans, rather than just "white" .... by virtue of blood line?

This whole "race thing" needs to just go away.

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”