Upcoming Law of Self Defense seminars

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Upcoming Law of Self Defense seminars

Post by baldeagle »

Some of you may be familiar with Andrew Branca. He was a frequent commentator on the George ZImmerman trial. He has established seminars, which he conducts all of the US, to teach and discuss the laws of self defense in the state that you live in. I just got this in email this afternoon. It's kind of last minute notice, but someone might want to take advantage of it.
LAST CALL! THIS SATURDAY & SUNDAY: AUGUST 22 & 23: Law of Self Defense Seminar: Texas
On August 22 the Bass Pro Shops in Grapevine TX will host a Law of Self Defense Seminar specific to Texas law.
On August 23 the Bass Pro Shops in Garland TX will do the same.
Accredited for CLE: +$49.99.
Click here for more information and how to register for the 8/22 Grapevine seminar.
Click here for more information and how to register for the 8/23 Garland seminar.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Upcoming Law of Self Defense seminars

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I just checked the Texas State Bar page and he isn't listed as an attorney in Texas. What credentials does he have concerning Texas self-defense laws?

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just checked the Texas State Bar page and he isn't listed as an attorney in Texas. What credentials does he have concerning Texas self-defense laws?

Chas.
He is a Massachusetts attorney, but his website "claims" he's "the foremost expert in U.S. self defense law across all 50 states." That's a mighty bold statement. I don't know of any attorney who would make such an outlandish claim.

Chas.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

Branca came to my attention -- and I am pretty sure national attention, at least in right-leaning political circles -- during the George Zimmerman trials. He had a lot of commentary leading up the the trial, explaining various legal issues, and during the trial he followed it minute by minute, posting various comments and interpretations about what was going on. These posts appeared on his own blog as well as on Legal Insurrection, a well-known blawg (legal-oriented blog) by lawyer William Jacobson, who features other authors on his site, both attorneys and non-attorneys, on various political and cultural matters.

I found it helpful, and he seemed to be the only attorney who was publicly and regularly pushing back against the nonsense that was being pushed by much of the press, the prosecution, and the professional agitators, explaining what the Florida law actually was, why it wasn't a stand-your-ground case as was hyped by certain media and anti-2A proponents, etc.

Branca is certainly not burdened with excessive modesty, but when there were many nooses out for GZ among the commentariat, he was also not shy about identifying the bovine effluent being peddled either.

He has published a book entitled "The Law of Self-Defense", and it covers general principles, with examples from various states and a listing of each laws specific statutes dealing with those principles. It isn't specific to Texas or any other state, but if you have not had any exposure to the elements of SD law, it's probably as good a place as any to start.

If I was to spend $$ to bone up on Texas SD laws, sure I would rather go to one of Mr. Cotton's seminars, but again, if you haven't delved into the legal principles or constructs of SD at all, I don't think a seminar with Branca would hurt you either.
USAF 1982-2005

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

At $149 I will pass.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

suthdj wrote:At $149 I will pass.
:iagree: but I thought others should know about it. Some might want to go. I think Charles Cotton would be the foremost expert on Texas self defense laws, but I suppose I'm biased. Branca is a straight shooter though.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Pass.

I respect his opinions, but I'm not paying that kind of scratch for an out of state lawyer to tell me about in state laws.

"I had every right to defend myself, Judge. That TV lawyer from Massachusetts told me I did!"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Taypo,

Bingo!

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

ELB wrote:
If I was to spend $$ to bone up on Texas SD laws, sure I would rather go to one of Mr. Cotton's seminars, but again, if you haven't delved into the legal principles or constructs of SD at all, I don't think a seminar with Branca would hurt you either.

Mr. Cotton has seminars available? Why didn't anyone tell me? :grumble

Where can I sign up?
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Law of Self Defense

Post by Law of Self Defense »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I just checked the Texas State Bar page and he isn't listed as an attorney in Texas. What credentials does he have concerning Texas self-defense laws?

Chas.
Indeed, I am NOT a member of the Texas bar, and never have claimed to be. That might be relevant were I providing legal advice in Texas. Alas, I am not. Rather, I'm providing a legal seminar of the same type a law student might attend at law school.

The principles of self-defense law I'll be discussing in Dallas this weekend are illustrated with the relevant Texas self-defense statutes, case law, and jury instructions, and supplemented with additional Texas-specific professional legal resources, including the Texas Practice Series (mostly volume 6, §7), Texas Jurisprudence 3rd Edition (mostly volume 22), and others.

For some insane reason the Texas bar thinks enough of my seminar that they've accredited the class for 5 hours of Continuing Legal Education for folks who ARE members of the Texas bar (as have the bars of 17 other states, every state to which we've applied for accreditation). I don't suppose you're short of CLE hours, Charles? :-) You're certainly more than welcome to attend. The most common feedback I get from fellow legal counsel who attend the seminar, and they are many, is that it's the best CLE they've ever taken.

Anyway, I'm happy to answer any questions about this weekend's classes, should anybody have any.We have tons of reviews on our web site,
To those already planning to attend, I look forward to seeing you in class. Perhaps afterwards you'd consider writing a brief review right in this thread, so that folks can enjoy an objective perspective of the seminar from someone who's actually attended and thus would have a rational basis on which to praise or criticize. :-)

Surely even a Massachusetts lawyer deserves that much. :-)

--Andrew

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Hi Andrew:
The only reason your post isn't being deleted in total because of a violation of our non-commercial rules is because I think it is only fair that people be able to see your response to my post. It was edited to remove the blatant commercialization. That said, you can tout your CLE credit all you like, but your website statement that you are "the foremost expert in U.S. self defense law across all 50 states" is absurd. If you were licensed to practice law in Texas, you would not be allowed to include such a statement in any website in which you are identified as a practicing attorney in Texas.

Your Screen name also violates our rules, so tell me what you want to use so I can change it.

You joined the Forum in 2013 just to promote your book(s). Your posts were moved to the Moderators Forum due to the violation of our non-commercial rules and you were advised. Now you're back pitching your seminars, again in violation of Forum Rules. That doesn't set well.

Chas.
Law of Self Defense wrote:

Chas.
Indeed, I am NOT a member of the Texas bar, and never have claimed to be. That might be relevant were I providing legal advice in Texas. Alas, I am not. Rather, I'm providing a legal seminar of the same type a law student might attend at law school.

The principles of self-defense law I'll be discussing in Dallas this weekend are illustrated with the relevant Texas self-defense statutes, case law, and jury instructions, and supplemented with additional Texas-specific professional legal resources, including the Texas Practice Series (mostly volume 6, §7), Texas Jurisprudence 3rd Edition (mostly volume 22), and others.

For some insane reason the Texas bar thinks enough of my seminar that they've accredited the class for 5 hours of Continuing Legal Education for folks who ARE members of the Texas bar (as have the bars of 17 other states, every state to which we've applied for accreditation). I don't suppose you're short of CLE hours, Charles? :-) You're certainly more than welcome to attend. The most common feedback I get from fellow legal counsel who attend the seminar, and they are many, is that it's the best CLE they've ever taken.

Anyway, I'm happy to answer any questions about this weekend's classes, should anybody have any.We have tons of reviews on our web site, here:

To those already planning to attend, I look forward to seeing you in class. Perhaps afterwards you'd consider writing a brief review right in this thread, so that folks can enjoy an objective perspective of the seminar from someone who's actually attended and thus would have a rational basis on which to praise or criticize. :-)

Surely even a Massachusetts lawyer deserves that much. :-)

--Andrew

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Your Screen name also violates our rules, so tell me what you want to use so I can change it. If a new screen name isn't provided, your post will be deleted.
Maybe "The Not So Foremost Expert" :biggrinjester:

Only joking of course. I'm sure he has more knowledge than I do on self defense in all 50 states, but I highly doubt he is "the foremost expert in U.S. self defense law across all 50 states".
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Law of Self Defense

Post by Law of Self Defense »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Hi Andrew:
The only reason your post isn't being deleted in total because of a violation of our non-commercial rules is because I think it is only fair that people be able to see your response to my post. It was edited to remove the blatant commercialization. That said, you can tout your CLE credit all you like, but your website statement that you are "the foremost expert in U.S. self defense law across all 50 states" is absurd. If you were licensed to practice law in Texas, you would not be allowed to include such a statement in any website in which you are identified as a practicing attorney in Texas.

Your Screen name also violates our rules, so tell me what you want to use so I can change it.

You joined the Forum in 2013 just to promote your book(s). Your posts were moved to the Moderators Forum due to the violation of our non-commercial rules and you were advised. Now you're back pitching your seminars, again in violation of Forum Rules. That doesn't set well.

Chas.
You can change my screen name to "Andrew F. Branca," Charles, thanks.

I wasn't aware it was a violation of the forum policies to respond to a thread the subject of which was my work. My apologies.

It always fascinates me that critics of my work almost without exception have neither read my book nor attended one of my seminars. Ah well. :-)

I wish you all a pleasant and safe weekend.

--Andrew

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Chas.

I wasn't aware it was a violation of the forum policies to respond to a thread the subject of which was my work. My apologies.

It always fascinates me that critics of my work almost without exception have neither read my book nor attended one of my seminars. Ah well. :-)

I wish you all a pleasant and safe weekend.

--Andrew
I may have overlooked something in this thread but I have not seen anyone here that is a critic and I am not sure how you know that nobody has read your books.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Chas.

You didn't respond, you made a pitch for your paid seminars and you included a link to your website where you sell other things. Only your sales pitch was edited out. I guess you didn't realize that trying to sell your books on the Forum in 2013 violated our rules either.
Law of Self Defense wrote:It always fascinates me that critics of my work almost without exception have neither read my book nor attended one of my seminars. Ah well. :-)
Show me where I have criticized your "work." I am highly critical of your self-aggrandizing statement that you are "the foremost expert in U.S. self defense law across all 50 states." I don't know of any attorney other than Gloria Allred that would make such a laughable statement.

Whenever a Member posts an advertisement for something like your seminars, I check the speaker's/instructor's credentials. The Forum has a reputation of being an excellent resource and it will not be used to promote any seminar, event or program without at least some vetting. I did the same with you and noted that you are not licensed to practice law in Texas and that you are licensed in MA. I find it enlightening that you view truth and accuracy as criticism.

I won't be changing your screen name as you won't be here. You have come to the Forum only twice, both times to sell something in violation of Forum rules. You don't seem to be able to post without comments that are nothing more than veiled insults. In case you didn't notice the responses by other Forum Members, you aren't selling well. I'd be more than happy to exchange barbs and insults with you, but that too would be a violation of Forum rules.

I'll give you the last word, then you're gone. Oh yeah, the next time you see Mas, tell him I said hello. Actually, I'll see him again next month when we are speaking at a Texas CLE program.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”