Police Union Asks NFL To Allow Guns Inside Stadiums

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tk1700
Posts in topic: 1

Police Union Asks NFL To Allow Guns Inside Stadiums

Post by tk1700 »

"The National Fraternal Order of Police, the nation’s largest police union, has written a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell requesting that he reconsider the league’s ban on concealed carry in its stadiums."

"Currently, only the Houston Texans and Dallas Cowboys’ have been granted an exemption from the ban — the NFL concluded that Texas state law overruled the league’s policy..."

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/12 ... n-gun-ban/

The FOP makes some good points and I agree with their request. Many posts on the forum echo exactly what the FOP is pointing out.

One error I see though is the exemption granted to the Texans and Cowboys. I haven't attended any Texan or Cowboy games so I don't what signs are up at the stadiums, but since they are professional sporting events I had just assumed they were off limits for CHL carry. It will be interesting to see the NFL response.

Glockster

Re: Police Union Asks NFL To Allow Guns Inside Stadiums

Post by Glockster »

tk1700 wrote:"The National Fraternal Order of Police, the nation’s largest police union, has written a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell requesting that he reconsider the league’s ban on concealed carry in its stadiums."

"Currently, only the Houston Texans and Dallas Cowboys’ have been granted an exemption from the ban — the NFL concluded that Texas state law overruled the league’s policy..."

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/12 ... n-gun-ban/

The FOP makes some good points and I agree with their request. Many posts on the forum echo exactly what the FOP is pointing out.

One error I see though is the exemption granted to the Texans and Cowboys. I haven't attended any Texan or Cowboy games so I don't what signs are up at the stadiums, but since they are professional sporting events I had just assumed they were off limits for CHL carry. It will be interesting to see the NFL response.
Yes, curious about that statement but very interesting to see this. I hope that this might be that in view of recent events this might be the start of folks waking up to the realization that having armed, law-abiding CHL holders carrying at the games could make the difference between life and death -- if not today, probably some day. The down side is that there will certainly be a decline in the consumption of alcohol at the game!
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

The only pro games I've attended were as a Charger season ticket holder ~30 years ago, but having attended a dozen or so Charger-Raider games in San Diego, the idea is unnerving, even at the astronomical price of beer these days.

One unanticipated benefit of the Raiders moving to LA was that after the move, the Oakland fans fought with the LA fans, and left the Charger fans out of it.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

NFL probably only granted the exemption since carry isn't allowed anyway. this way they look good while still having firearms banned from their stadiums.

ispray

Post by ispray »

roadkill wrote:NFL probably only granted the exemption since carry isn't allowed anyway. this way they look good while still having firearms banned from their stadiums.
X2 roadkill

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

roadkill wrote:NFL probably only granted the exemption since carry isn't allowed anyway. this way they look good while still having firearms banned from their stadiums.
The exemption was for off duty cops. Texas law does not allow the prosicution for criminal trespass if it's because of a gun and the person is a cop.

Criminal Trespass PC 30.05

(i) This section does not apply if:
(1) the basis on which entry on the property or land or in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun or other weapon was forbidden; and
(2) the actor at the time of the offense was a peace officer, including a commissioned peace officer of a recognized state, or a special investigator under Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator was engaged in the actual discharge of an official duty while carrying the weapon.

So you can't put charges on them and while it may be legal to remove them how do you do that without liability? That and the Departments that do security for the Texas teams just said no.

stash

Post by stash »

The way I heard it the exemption was for off duty and retired LEO's only.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Rusty Wrenches

Post by Rusty Wrenches »

I believe the NFLs ban is for thestadium itself all the time, not just game time. Texas state law says they cannot be banned because the stadiums are city owned. When other events are held there, you are allowed to carry.
glock 19

carry whenever and wherever possible. you never know when you'll need it. its not being paranoid, its being prepared.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

NFL threw a fit when they were forced to allow off duty LEOs to carry. NFL made it known they are anti gun
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

NFL - Pppppfffttt!

Avoid their locations like the plague!

When horror happens there, don't be there...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”