Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Unocat
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Wearing a visible, empty belt holster

Post by Unocat »

I have open carried three days since 1 January and enjoyed the freedom of it - freedom in terms of rights and liberties and also just being free of hiding. It hasn't all been great, like standing in a long line to by a power ball ticket and constantly having to think about who was behind me and what were they doing... it kind of opens your eyes to what LEO must think about.

However, I have some nice OWB crossbreed holsters and a 5.11 leather belt and on one of these occasions I just didn't feel like taking everything off upon seeing the 30.07 sign. So I left the pistol in the car and left my holster on my belt since my other errands would allow OC. A couple of people took a look but nothing was said so they must have figured it out.

I guess I could still be asked to leave, no different than if I were wearing a red thong underwear on my head.
I realize that if someone can figure out which car is mine, they could go after my lonely pistol.

Has anyone else left their empty holster on?
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

casp625
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wearing a visible, empty belt holster

Post by casp625 »

Do you always walk around shirtless :smilelol5:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

What if you have your nice OWB and you must go somewhere where they allow CC only, but you are already OC'ing....
Suppose you take your weapon out of the OWB (no OC), and walk in with an IWB backup...

I'm on the fence if that would be good distraction tactic that could definitely give you an element of surprise advantage potentially , or it could be a nonsense idea.

Hmm. ;-)

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I wear OWB holsters exclusively. My personal reaction would be to either untuck my shirt cover up the gun if there is a 30.07 sign, or give my dollars to another business that posts both 30.06 and 30.07 signs. They don't deserve my dollars, plain and simple. If you don't have a concealed backup gun hidden on your person, then your exposed empty holster serves two purposes only: 1) notify any bad guys that you are disarmed; and 2) notify any thieves that there is probably a gun stored in your car, while you're inside and can't see it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I did this yesterday. Had to pick my son up from school in between errands.

I parked off school property and walked into the school with my exposed, but empty OWB holster. Didn't feel like untucking my shirt. Got a couple looks, but no comments.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Make sure you lock it up in your vehicle. I have a small handgun safe bolted to the floor in my truck. Maybe you should carry a large handkerchief that you can whip out and cover it up when 30.07 are posted. :lol:

Topic author
Unocat
Banned

Post by Unocat »

casp625 wrote:Do you always walk around shirtless :smilelol5:
Only when I am showing off my guns... Get it? guns!
(Guns are a pseudonym for muscles, so either way the joke works... Get it? Guns) :anamatedbanana
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

Topic author
Unocat
Banned

Post by Unocat »

parabelum wrote:What if you have your nice OWB and you must go somewhere where they allow CC only, but you are already OC'ing....
Suppose you take your weapon out of the OWB (no OC), and walk in with an IWB backup...

I'm on the fence if that would be good distraction tactic that could definitely give you an element of surprise advantage potentially , or it could be a nonsense idea.

Hmm. ;-)
Funny you mention that. I had a 5.11 carry shirt on with an LCP in it one day while OCing to show the shirt and carry method to a friend. He thought it was neat that I was OC and CC at the same time. I hadn't thought of it until he said it.
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

Topic author
Unocat
Banned

Post by Unocat »

The Wall wrote:Make sure you lock it up in your vehicle. I have a small handgun safe bolted to the floor in my truck. Maybe you should carry a large handkerchief that you can whip out and cover it up when 30.07 are posted. :lol:
I was the one who did exactly that at HEB with a black shower cap... There is a pic somewhere on the forum of it.
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I wear OWB holsters exclusively. My personal reaction would be to either untuck my shirt cover up the gun if there is a 30.07 sign, or give my dollars to another business that posts both 30.06 and 30.07 signs. They don't deserve my dollars, plain and simple. If you don't have a concealed backup gun hidden on your person, then your exposed empty holster serves two purposes only: 1) notify any bad guys that you are disarmed; and 2) notify any thieves that there is probably a gun stored in your car, while you're inside and can't see it.
:iagree:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oljames3 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I wear OWB holsters exclusively. My personal reaction would be to either untuck my shirt cover up the gun if there is a 30.07 sign, or give my dollars to another business that posts both 30.06 and 30.07 signs. They don't deserve my dollars, plain and simple. If you don't have a concealed backup gun hidden on your person, then your exposed empty holster serves two purposes only: 1) notify any bad guys that you are disarmed; and 2) notify any thieves that there is probably a gun stored in your car, while you're inside and can't see it.
I just realized, what I wrote came out wrong. :lol:

The second sentence should have read:
The Annoyed Man wrote:My personal reaction would be to either untuck my shirt cover up the gun if there is a 30.07 sign, or, if there are both 30.06 and 30.07 signs, give my dollars to another business that posts no signs.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I did this yesterday. Had to pick my son up from school in between errands.

I parked off school property and walked into the school with my exposed, but empty OWB holster. Didn't feel like untucking my shirt. Got a couple looks, but no comments.

Why? Open carrying in your vehicle is perfectly legal in the parking lot or driveway. You only have a problem if you have to enter the school building to retrieve the offspring!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
oljames3 wrote:
I just realized, what I wrote came out wrong. :lol:

The second sentence should have read:
The Annoyed Man wrote:My personal reaction would be to either untuck my shirt cover up the gun if there is a 30.07 sign, or, if there are both 30.06 and 30.07 signs, give my dollars to another business that posts no signs.
Whew! There was a tremor in the force! :thumbs2:

Distinguished Rick

Post by Distinguished Rick »

I don't walk around with an empty holster. I have walked around with an empty wallet though thanks to the wife. :nono:
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

This time of year you could put on a trench coat when you get to the door. That shouldn't bother anyone. :mrgreen:
Charlie

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”