Pulled over today in small town Texas.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
big454
Posts in topic: 1

Pulled over today in small town Texas.

Post by big454 »

I was pulled over today for having a temporary plate that wasn't completely visable . I would say the encounter with the deputy was a positive one . I pulled over into my work's parking lot as I was beings lit up. I immediately took my chl and drivers license out , opened my sliding windows on back of my pickup so he could clearly see inside as I have rear tinted windows. He asked me a few questions and stated that he appreciated me giving him my chl right off the bat . I replied "no problem officer" , he said for me to slow down and asked 2 more questions . He asked me what weapon I carry , I answered him (40 cal smith&wesson) , then the final question he asked was if I carried everyday which I answered yes. This left me wondering why would he want to know if I carried everyday. How would you have answered if at all . By the way I got a warning , NO ticket. :D
Ignorance is rampant in this part of Texas. I managed to shake it off and I am a firm believer of 2nd Amendment rights

16Adams

Re: Pulled over today in small town Texas.

Post by 16Adams »

I would have handled it just as you did. Sounds like casual conversation. Congrats on the warning.

goose

Post by goose »

You did well. They did well. My guess is that he is pro 2A, or at least not anti, and just taking a casual poll as to who all with a CHL is carrying. Other than someones sensitivity to "the man" not needing to know, I wouldn't know why not to answer. As 16Adams said, I think it was just casual conversation. But then, I like the topic and would talk at length about it if I wasn't in a hurry.

Edited to add: I recently purchased a new truck with fairly dark tint on the crew cab portion. If I am ever pulled over again, I need to try to remember to roll those windows down, weather permitting. I liked your comment on that. Help everyone be that much more at ease.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

allisji

Post by allisji »

big454 wrote:I was pulled over today for having a temporary plate that wasn't completely visable . I would say the encounter with the deputy was a positive one . I pulled over into my work's parking lot as I was beings lit up. I immediately took my chl and drivers license out , opened my sliding windows on back of my pickup so he could clearly see inside as I have rear tinted windows. He asked me a few questions and stated that he appreciated me giving him my chl right off the bat . I replied "no problem officer" , he said for me to slow down and asked 2 more questions . He asked me what weapon I carry , I answered him (40 cal smith&wesson) , then the final question he asked was if I carried everyday which I answered yes. This left me wondering why would he want to know if I carried everyday. How would you have answered if at all . By the way I got a warning , NO ticket. :D
My guess if that if you had answered "No, I don't carry everyday", then he would have asked you "why not?". It also may have been his way of asking you whether or not you were currently armed. You answered that you carry everyday, so he didn't need to ask you if you were armed.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Distinguished Rick

Post by Distinguished Rick »

You handled it the same way I would have and you said what I would have. No need to answer the questions any different than you did. He might have just been curious as a fellow Texan and not as a LEO. If he was an anti 2A Leo you would have gotten a ticket and who knows whatelse. Sounds like a normal encounter to me.....except go fix your temp plate.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

randy634
Posts in topic: 2

Post by randy634 »

When I make stops and the person holds a LTC I always ask the same. Just casual conversation. I am surprised when I ask if they carry everyday, how many people say they don't. It seems most don't really understand when they can carry and when they can not. I have helped several people "renew" their LTC who had expired ones. I am sure at lest one has joined this forum.

Your stop went as I expected 99.9% of them go. Good job.

Be safe.
“More important than your obligation to follow your conscience, or at least prior to it, is your obligation to form your conscience correctly.” – Justice Scalia

ELB

Post by ELB »

There's at least two accounts on this forum some place of people with CHLs (then), who when replying in the negative when asked if they were carrying, were answered with a version of "Why not! You should carry all the time!"
USAF 1982-2005

fickman

Post by fickman »

Yep, many LEOs want the good guys in civvies to be armed. I think he was setting you up for a playful admonishment if you had said you don't carry everyday.
Native Texian

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

There's at least two accounts on this forum some place of people with CHLs (then), who when replying in the negative when asked if they were carrying, were answered with a version of "Why not! You should carry all the time!"
I'm mostly a lurker (and learner) around here but I thought I'd chime in on this thread. I was riding my motorcycle with a buddy this past Sunday on FM 407 between US 287 and FM 156, just west of Justin, on my way back to the Metroplex from lunch at the Green Frog in Jacksboro. I crested a hill, and as I went down, I picked up some speed. A State LEO was going the opposite way and he lit me up. When he asked for my license, I told him I had a CHL but wasn't carrying. He told me I didn't have to tell him that, I said yes, I know but I thought it was the right thing to do. Then he proceeded to chide me for not carrying "especially on a motorcycle". I talked a bit about not knowing where to put it on the bike, and he offered some suggestions! Really good encounter. (Now I need to go back and read through some of the threads around here about carrying on a bike.)

And then he let me off with a warning! (68 in a 60).

randy634

Post by randy634 »

Yes. I like to make the small talk about where and what different people carry. It's an educational experience for me and them. Helps settle their nerves a bit at times. People feel we (LEO's) are out to chastise them for carrying. Not true. We want more good guys with guns! But yes, i too always tell them to carry when legally able to. Just think of Murphey's Law....
“More important than your obligation to follow your conscience, or at least prior to it, is your obligation to form your conscience correctly.” – Justice Scalia

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

FrogFan wrote:
I'm mostly a lurker (and learner) around here but I thought I'd chime in on this thread. I was riding my motorcycle with a buddy this past Sunday on FM 407 between US 287 and FM 156, just west of Justin, on my way back to the Metroplex from lunch at the Green Frog in Jacksboro. I crested a hill, and as I went down, I picked up some speed. A State LEO was going the opposite way and he lit me up. When he asked for my license, I told him I had a CHL but wasn't carrying. He told me I didn't have to tell him that, I said yes, I know but I thought it was the right thing to do. Then he proceeded to chide me for not carrying "especially on a motorcycle". I talked a bit about not knowing where to put it on the bike, and he offered some suggestions! Really good encounter. (Now I need to go back and read through some of the threads around here about carrying on a bike.)

I would be interested in knowing what he suggested being a rider myself.
Truth against the world

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

txhighlander wrote:
FrogFan wrote:

I was about to ask the same thing. I usually carry a shoulder rig under my leathers.

Lena

Post by Lena »

As a former LEO I have seen both sides to this issue, you did great, A great one that happened to me a couple of years back was that I was stopped by a DPS officer for no seat belt which I had on and he did not see it, all was good when he saw it on me, I did the same as you did but was carrying my father's 1911 Swenson which he asked to see, after talking about it and it was the 1st he had ever seen of one but had read of them. Well about an hour later in a road side café having lunch he walked in and came over and spoke to me very friendly, then asked "If I call my friend would you show the 1911 to him? Sure I said A DPS major ! They sat with us at lunch and visited. A very positive experience also.
Stay Safe

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

His first suggestion was my tank bag. I agree that's a good place for it, except when I get to my destination. I can't lock it there and I have to un-conceal to do anything with it. He also noticed that I had a sizeable pocket on the inside of my CyclePort jacket, and suggested it might fit well there, and nobody would see it. Again, a good suggestion for while I'm riding, but when I take my coat off when I get to where I'm going, it's going to show.

Of course, I didn't argue with his suggestions, but really took to heart his strong suggestion to carry. I normally carry a .380 in a pocket holster but that doesn't fit well in my riding pants. An IWB wouldn't work well with them either; they're pretty tight. I'm still in search of a solution, and I think I've seen a number of threads around here on that topic.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

FrogFan wrote:
His first suggestion was my tank bag. I agree that's a good place for it, except when I get to my destination. I can't lock it there and I have to un-conceal to do anything with it. He also noticed that I had a sizeable pocket on the inside of my CyclePort jacket, and suggested it might fit well there, and nobody would see it. Again, a good suggestion for while I'm riding, but when I take my coat off when I get to where I'm going, it's going to show.

Of course, I didn't argue with his suggestions, but really took to heart his strong suggestion to carry. I normally carry a .380 in a pocket holster but that doesn't fit well in my riding pants. An IWB wouldn't work well with them either; they're pretty tight. I'm still in search of a solution, and I think I've seen a number of threads around here on that topic.

Take a look at naked leather pistol pete jacket that's what I wore until shoulder surgery made me give up riding the chest pocket has plenty of room for my M&P9 it has velcro to make it easier to draw won't work while riding you have to access it with your right hand moving it off the throttle but it doesn't print ad is pretty quick to access while off the bike. I have a new phone and can't figure out how to download the link but it is Allstate leathers and they also make a vest.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”