What would you do?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tkc723
Posts in topic: 1

What would you do?

Post by tkc723 »

Stopped at academy in Arlington this afternoon. I walked down the holster aisle and noticed a guy at the end trying out different holsters. After watching him for a few seconds I realize he has his gun out and is switching it between the different holsters. I stood there for a few more seconds because I couldn't believe he had actually pulled his gun out and was trying it in different holsters. Needless to say I got my wife and left the store immediately. Should I have said something to the store employees? What would you guys have done in this situation?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Re: What would you do?

Post by WildBill »

tkc723 wrote:Stopped at academy in Arlington this afternoon. I walked down the holster aisle and noticed a guy at the end trying out different holsters. After watching him for a few seconds I realize he has his gun out and is switching it between the different holsters. I stood there for a few more seconds because I couldn't believe he had actually pulled his gun out and was trying it in different holsters. Needless to say I got my wife and left the store immediately. Should I have said something to the store employees? What would you guys have done in this situation?
I wouldn't have done anything.
NRA Endowment Member

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Depending on how he looked. - yeah I profile - tell him he ought to do that in the dressing room since it's illegal to unholster his gun and not have it on his belt in public.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Tracker wrote:Depending on how he looked. - yeah I profile - tell him he ought to do that in the dressing room since it's illegal to unholster his gun and not have it on his belt in public.
It's also against store policy to bring unpurchased merchandise into the dressing room.

I would have alerted store employees, and left. I'd assume the guy has an LTC, so he knows that unholstering his weapon in public is illegal. If he is knowingly violating that law, I don't trust him to follow every other law.

jed

Post by jed »

He should have carried the holster to the gun counter and asked it they would check the fit with a gun in the case, surely they had one like he was carrying.

I probably would have left the building also.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

tkc723 wrote:What would you guys have done in this situation?
Nunmah...... as in, nunmah bidness. I'd just turn around and walk away. It's not my job to police other LTC's, and it's not my job to be Academy's security team. Presumably, he's taken the class and already knows (or should know) that what he's doing is illegal. If he is either stupid enough to not know, or simply not a law-abiding citizen (which I'm sure he would like to think he is), then I'm not going to be the one dumb enough to try and correct him. After all.......he's already got the drop on me.

Just walk away.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Academy is a very gun friendly store, I may have struck up a conversation with him and showed him my rig told him what I like about and so on
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

SIRIT

Post by SIRIT »

tkc723 wrote:Stopped at academy in Arlington this afternoon. I walked down the holster aisle and noticed a guy at the end trying out different holsters. After watching him for a few seconds I realize he has his gun out and is switching it between the different holsters. I stood there for a few more seconds because I couldn't believe he had actually pulled his gun out and was trying it in different holsters. Needless to say I got my wife and left the store immediately. Should I have said something to the store employees? What would you guys have done in this situation?
Probably would have left also. I would have said something to an employee on the way out.

Nano

Post by Nano »

I would really hate to think that guy had a Texas CHL/LTC and was doing that. I go in that store a lot and I would quietly let the sales person behind the gun counter know what was going on or ask him for a piece of paper and write him a note. It could be a dangerous situation if not handled properly.
NRA Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

jed wrote:He should have carried the holster to the gun counter and asked it they would check the fit with a gun in the case, surely they had one like he was carrying. I probably would have left the building also.
Best answer yet. But I wouldn't have left the building just for that. That's MWAG mindset. :shock: :lol:

I'd have gone about my bid'ness, and shopped some more.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

joe817 wrote:
jed wrote:He should have carried the holster to the gun counter and asked it they would check the fit with a gun in the case, surely they had one like he was carrying. I probably would have left the building also.
Best answer yet. But I wouldn't have left the building just for that. That's MWAG mindset. :shock: :lol:

I'd have gone about my bid'ness, and shopped some more.
IMHO there is a big difference between freaking out just because a person has a weapon (aka MWAG mindset), and deciding to leave because a person is illegally displaying their weapon.

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

Are you sure he had "OWN gun out"? Reason why I ask is because last year I was shopping at Academy & needed help from the employee (Gun Dept) because one of the holsters I liked said "4" barrel lengths" on the face of the package (not the brand of guns on it like most do ) & for some reason it looked like it was just too small for my GLOCK 19,, so that's when I asked the employee (the one I'd been visiting with earlier before even shopping for a holster in gun Dept) if I could check it with the one behind the glass cabinet & he said sure & he grabbed a GLOCK 19 from behind the glass & handed it to me & I checked it & I was right,, it didn't fit, & he also confirmed it & I went ahead & checked several other holsters with it before I found the one I liked & the fit was correct & then handed the GLOCK back to him & thanked him very much cause he saved me trip back to the store for exchange.

So I had a gun "GLOCK 19" (of course unloaded from behind the glass cabinet) & if you were to just come around the corner on the isle you would have seen me with a "Gun out" but you not knowing it was "their Gun from behind the glass" you would have been quick to assume that I had my own gun out checking holsters.
So, no I would have done nothing but maybe start up a conversation with him to see if it were his own & loaded or not then made my decision of what to do, but either way, probably nothing.
That being said, that's another reason I have learned along time ago, I
"never assume anything" I think that's a HUGE problem with the world now days that people are to quick to judge & assume things, that's my story & IMO about assuming.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

louisf1

Post by louisf1 »

I'm hearing (reading) a lot of responses here that are exactly the opposite of how we feel when the (fill in your own name for the gun grabbers) make assumptions about guns. I would not have alerted anyone in this instance. I would have simply minded my own business. If I felt uncomfortable I would have simply walked away.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Tracker wrote:Depending on how he looked. - yeah I profile - tell him he ought to do that in the dressing room since it's illegal to unholster his gun and not have it on his belt in public.
It's also against store policy to bring unpurchased merchandise into the dressing room.
I think I know what you meant to say, but the entire purpose of the dressing room is to try on things before purchasing them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

jed wrote:He should have carried the holster to the gun counter and asked it they would check the fit with a gun in the case, surely they had one like he was carrying.
This is what I do. I don't even mention that I am currently carrying the very handgun I'm asking them about trying out, but would rather not expose it or remove it from my current holster.

Although the rules have changed a little since OC has become effective, they haven't changed so much that this gentleman's behavior is acceptable. I bet if any of the store personnel had noticed this they would have explained it to him.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”