This is why I will not own any Apple products!

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This is why I will not own any Apple products!

Post by Abraham »

If ever there was a partial, neo-Luddite reason for jettisoning your I-this or that, this thread proves it.

Now, I'm going back outside and put the axe to a stump that needs it and fill in an Armadillo hole.

You techno-wizzes keep arguing.

I love the silliness...

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 6

Post by treadlightly »

SA_Steve wrote:There's 200 mostly free apps you can run on smartphones that are unbreakable, these can be stacked on top of native smartphones as another layer.
Yesterday's WSJ front page with three column extension explained lots about the technology and the fact that our gov financed the development of several of these phone loadable encryption apps. Already in heavy use by bad guys.
The government is definitely behind all sorts of encryption not intended to be used in secret. The TOR network (The Onion Router, not to be confused with The Onion, America's finest news source) is a product of the US Navy.

TOR is the so-called Darknet, where The Silk Road sold drugs for so long. And it was invented by our military.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warnmar10 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Another viewpoint: http://www.captainsjournal.com/2016/02/ ... fbi-fight/
Money quote:
Cluelessness Regarding What’s At Stake In The Apple Versus FBI Fight

Bottom line. The fedgov has not asked for Apple to break into this phone. They have asked Apple to develop an approach that allows them to completely bypass all security, thus making them malleable to a FISA court ruling for any or all phones in the future.

All of your worst suspicions are true. This is the government at its most totalitarian.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 17

Post by WildBill »

I am starting to think that Abraham is correct. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 23

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Former NSA Chief Skeptical of FBI's Backdoor Demand
http://patriotpost.us/posts/40910
No less than Michael Hayden, the former chief of both the NSA and CIA as well as a retired four-star Air Force general, isn’t convinced the government is right. “In this specific case,” he said, “I’m trending toward the government, but I’ve got to tell you in general I oppose the government’s effort, personified by FBI Director Jim Comey. Jim would like a backdoor available to American law enforcement in all devices globally. And, frankly, I think on balance that actually harms American safety and security, even though it might make Jim’s job a bit easier in some specific circumstances.”

Hayden also said rather honestly, “Look, I used to run the NSA, okay? Backdoors are good. Please, please, Lord, put back doors in, because I and a whole bunch of other talented security services around the world — even though that back door was not intended for me — that backdoor will make it easier for me to do what I want to do, which is to penetrate. … But when you step back and look at the whole question of American security and safety writ large, we are a safer, more secure nation without backdoors [because] a lot of other people would take advantage of it.
.....Written by someone who used to run NSA, and who agrees with Bitter that these federal agencies are largely staffed by patriotic people of high integrity, and that having these backdoors would make their jobs easier.....but who still thinks it is a bad idea.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Well, Obama agrees with the OP, but not just for national security reasons. He thinks they need to be able to access our phone data any time they want for tax reasons: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/obama-says-ca ... nance.html.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Well, Obama agrees with the OP, but not just for national security reasons. He thinks they need to be able to access our phone data any time they want for tax reasons: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/obama-says-ca ... nance.html.
Did you really, intentionally mean to equate me with Barack Hussein Obama?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Did you really, intentionally mean to equate me with Barack Hussein Obama?
You think the govt should have access, he thinks the govt should have access.

Tell us how you are different?

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

I believe that the government should have access to this particular phone as its OWNER had already agreed to said access and apple said no because the USER didn't say it was ok because the USER is achmed the dead terrorists brother who is also a dead terrorist

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Did you really, intentionally mean to equate me with Barack Hussein Obama?
You think the govt should have access, he thinks the govt should have access.

Tell us how you are different?
Since you obviously failed Logic 101, let's use this as a teaching moment:

See if you can correctly select the Euler Diagram at the bottom of the illustration. You are welcome. :biggrinjester:
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Wouldn't what the government is insisting that Apple do be detrimental to this?

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

MeMelYup wrote:Wouldn't what the government is insisting that Apple do be detrimental to this?

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Hey now don't start using those old amendments to try to argue with what this POTUS wants to do. You know that was written a long time ago and our founding fathers didn't envision computers and encryption when they wrote it. :rules:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Bitter Clinger wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Well, Obama agrees with the OP, but not just for national security reasons. He thinks they need to be able to access our phone data any time they want for tax reasons: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/obama-says-ca ... nance.html.
No, I did not. But I DID point out that once the back door is out of the bag that Apple has kept it in, it is rife for abuse under other "justifications". Laws of unintended consequences, and all that — which is exactly why I have remained so intractable on the issue. What you, however mistakenly from my view, intend for good, someone else (in this case Obama) will use for evil.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
No, I did not. But I DID point out that once the back door is out of the bag that Apple has kept it in, it is rife for abuse under other "justifications". Laws of unintended consequences, and all that — which is exactly why I have remained so intractable on the issue. What you, however mistakenly from my view, intend for good, someone else (in this case Obama) will use for evil.
Understood. Only time will tell. I maintain my belief that Hillary will eventually be indicted as well.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man

Bitter Clinger wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Understood. Only time will tell. I maintain my belief that Hillary will eventually be indicted as well.
We can hope and pray that her evil is exposed in a court of law, resulting in a conviction.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”