Church Liability

Links to various government agengices, resources & statutes, and non-governmental CHL-related links

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SJB
Posts in topic: 1

Church Liability

Post by SJB »

Does a church create liability issues by choosing to post or not to post the 30.06 or 30.07 notice?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Church Liability

Post by WildBill »

SJB wrote:Does a church create liability issues by choosing to post or not to post the 30.06 or 30.07 notice?
Welcome to the forum SJB. Interesting first question.

IANAL, but I would say no. Not any more than any other property owner.
NRA Endowment Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The general answer is no liability for the actions of a Licensee. There could be exceptions that typically apply only in an employee/employer scenario.

It's unlikely that there would be any liability for prohibiting concealed-carry, but this too has exceptions. If the church is in a high crime area or has had worshipers victimized before, the church could have liability for injuries or death if it didn't take reasonable steps to protect the congregation. Denying them the ability to defend themselves could be a factor.

Chas.

atx2a

Post by atx2a »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The general answer is no liability for the actions of a Licensee. There could be exceptions that typically apply only in an employee/employer scenario.

It's unlikely that there would be any liability for prohibiting concealed-carry, but this too has exceptions. If the church is in a high crime area or has had worshipers victimized before, the church could have liability for injuries or death if it didn't take reasonable steps to protect the congregation. Denying them the ability to defend themselves could be a factor.

Chas.
:iagree:
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

I agree with Mr. Cotton, but would like to add one other scenario where trouble could arise. If you take it the opposite route of posting signs and instead the church staff puts together a security team or asks its members to carry, it can get the church in serious hot water if someone uses a firearm negligently - especially if the team is paid or considered "official" and they don't have the necessary security certification.

Not quite what you asked, OP, but it's the only other area I see where LTC issues can bring about church liability. :tiphat:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

imkopaka wrote:I agree with Mr. Cotton, but would like to add one other scenario where trouble could arise. If you take it the opposite route of posting signs and instead the church staff puts together a security team or asks its members to carry, it can get the church in serious hot water if someone uses a firearm negligently - especially if the team is paid or considered "official" and they don't have the necessary security certification.

Not quite what you asked, OP, but it's the only other area I see where LTC issues can bring about church liability. :tiphat:
You are correct. This topic has been discussed several times on the forum. Most members are aware of this and have not made official security teams at their respective churches.

In addition to civil liability, I believe that the members of such a team could also be criminally charged for providing security without proper certification. IANAL
NRA Endowment Member

Steve Lebe

Post by Steve Lebe »

Has anybody ever been charged, much less convicted, for carrying under their LTC while an unpaid volunteer for a neighborhood watch or church security group?

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

If an organization is looking for "the best way" to deal with these issues... Then a solid "no ask, no tell" policy regarding licensed concealed carry is the best way to go.

I have zero problem with a church not wanting OC.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Steve Lebe wrote:Has anybody ever been charged, much less convicted, for carrying under their LTC while an unpaid volunteer for a neighborhood watch or church security group?
When I took my Lev III & IV security class for our church in 2010 we were told by our instructor that a church in Dallas was reported to DPS and ended up paying a fine for operating an illegal security company. I just tried to Google for it real quick but didn't find anything. However, DPS has an Opinion Summary on church security located here: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/psb/Laws/psb_opin_sum.htm. A church or person could be at risk if someone got mad and reported the church or if an incident occurs that requires LEO investigation. If it is revealed that the person/church was providing unlicensed security services then be prepared.

I know that Charles tried to get a bill through to exempt churches but it didn't get out of committee if I remember correctly. The security industry is staunchly opposed to a church exemption. It's sad because most small and medium churches cannot afford to hire security (in house or contract) or off duty LEO's. Churches should be allowed to organize armed volunteers.
Ron
NRA Member

JerryK
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JerryK »

Has anybody ever been charged, much less convicted, for carrying under their LTC while an unpaid volunteer for a neighborhood watch or church security group?
There was one, in Florida I believe.
Last edited by JerryK on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

JerryK wrote:
There was one, in Florida.
Are you sure he was charged with a crime for carrying? In addition to the other charges?

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

No, he was charged with the more serious charge which is usually the case.

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

abc
Last edited by JerryK on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

rtschl wrote:
Steve Lebe wrote:Has anybody ever been charged, much less convicted, for carrying under their LTC while an unpaid volunteer for a neighborhood watch or church security group?
When I took my Lev III & IV security class for our church in 2010 we were told by our instructor that a church in Dallas was reported to DPS and ended up paying a fine for operating an illegal security company. I just tried to Google for it real quick but didn't find anything. However, DPS has an Opinion Summary on church security located here: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/psb/Laws/psb_opin_sum.htm. A church or person could be at risk if someone got mad and reported the church or if an incident occurs that requires LEO investigation. If it is revealed that the person/church was providing unlicensed security services then be prepared.

I know that Charles tried to get a bill through to exempt churches but it didn't get out of committee if I remember correctly. The security industry is staunchly opposed to a church exemption. It's sad because most small and medium churches cannot afford to hire security (in house or contract) or off duty LEO's. Churches should be allowed to organize armed volunteers.
Are there any churches that have licensed as security companies with the State? Of course this would require lots of money and probably a lot of insurance...and easier just to hire off duty LEO or a licensed company.

I thought I read somewhere that the LDS church (Mormons) have a very well trained, organized, and licensed security force, but that may be in Utah where the laws are different.

I've always been kind of interested in taking a Level III/IV and PPO cert, but I know that you can't actually work as such unless employed by a licensed security company.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

howdy

Post by howdy »

My Church at one time was looking into this exact thing. Our Building Supervisor found a Texas Licence Security Company that would train Church Volunteers to a level IV security Officer rating, "hire" them and place them back at their home Church for a per hour fee. I just Googled this scenario and came up with this example. I have no affiliation with this company nor do I know of their reputation or business practices. I know we went with uniformed off duty LEO's.(we are a large church that can afford LEO's)
http://www.nocssm.org/gatekeepers-secur ... ices-texas

My Church had a VERY strong reaction from some members of the Church Council to members carrying firearms...trained, with level IV license or not. They did not have a problem with armed security officers who were not Church members. I failed to see the logic of this but we know how it is arguing guns to anti's.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “Government resources & CHL-related links”