Female Body found at GunFree University of Texas, Homicide Investigation ongoing

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

tbryanh
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Female Body found at GunFree University of Texas, Homicide Investigation ongoing

Post by tbryanh »

RoyGBiv wrote:^^^ Not many freshmen are old enough to qualify for a LTC.

I do agree that the gun-free policy is nonsense that only impacts the law abiding.
Probably another bad law here. So two bad laws involved.

Topic author
NotRPB
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Female Body found at GunFree University of Texas, Homicide Investigation ongoing

Post by NotRPB »

She was "in her twenties"
I was 25 in my Freshman year; already a Real Estate Broker, decided to get a degree in it

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

National news said she was a freshman and was 18.

Topic author
NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

WTR wrote:National news said she was a freshman and was 18.
yeah I just saw ... early reports APD said in her 20s" now they say 18

Local news examined the videos and I'm wondering what bicyclist had in the bag he had after but not before the incident.
I understand Police need to keep some details undisclosed.
Last edited by NotRPB on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

tbryanh wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
Texsquatch wrote:Why mention that it's gun free?
Kind of what I was wondering?

To my knowledge....all we know of the incident...is that a body was found on campus property.

Is it being implied that the area being designated "gun free" somehow had something to do with this?
Put it this way, if the dead woman was law abiding, she was not given a choice to carry a pistol to defend herself. Had she been given that choice, she might have chosen to carry a pistol and might still be alive. Got it now? Or is it still complicated for you?
She was a freshman, probably 18-19 yrs. old, not old enough to have a LTC. And even IF she were, only about 4% of the population has a LTC anyway. But lets say she did carry and could. What makes you so confident it would have made a difference?

More likely a lack of situational awareness, being alone, being in a somewhat remote area, were things that contributed to this horrendous circumstance. There are MANY places in Austin where she would not be able to legally carry a firearm, but would also be at little risk of needing one.

When in a gun free/restricted area....a person needs to take other measures to be able to protect themselves. A firearm is not always the answer. I hope that concept is not too "complicated" for you? ;-)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

android

Post by android »

flintknapper wrote:

To my knowledge....all we know of the incident...is that a body was found on campus property.

Is it being implied that the area being designated "gun free" somehow had something to do with this?
She was 18, so no possibility that she could legally carry.

It does bring to light that college campuses are as safe as anywhere else, which is not at all.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

android wrote:
flintknapper wrote:

She was 18, so no possibility that she could legally carry.

It does bring to light that college campuses are as safe as anywhere else, which is not at all.
If she was National Guard or Reserve she could have LTC... :rules: She wasn't but she could have.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

God bliss her soul and may the family find peace. Texas has losted a young soul.
God Bliss America.

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

Cops Ask Public to Help ID Person of Interest in Death of University of Texas at Austin Student

http://abcnews.go.com/US/manhunt-contin ... d=38244390
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Breaking: 17 year old arrested in homicide. From the American Spaceman:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/sour ... res/nq2jC/

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:Breaking: 17 year old arrested in homicide. From the American Spaceman:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/sour ... res/nq2jC/
Fantastic, let's hope they have the right guy
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

small fire involving a backpack and may have recovered some of Weiser’s belongings
That would be the nearby dumpster fire and, probably the stuff in the sack he had and almost dropped which he had after the murder that he didn't have prior in the bicycle video

ELB

Post by ELB »

Update:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local ... 060101.php
The trial of a man accused of sexually assaulting and killing a University of Texas freshman began Monday, according to court records.

Criner's attorney plans to argue that police arrested the wrong man and jumped to conclusions after a surveillance video surfaced that allegedly showed a man following Weiser around the night she was killed.

If convicted, Criner will automatically be sentenced to life in prison. The trial is not expected to last beyond July 20, according to the report.
USAF 1982-2005

dlh
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dlh »

I read the trial court threw out the DNA/testing. Wonder why? Do not see that very often.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Last month, presiding Judge David Wahlberg dismissed the majority of the DNA evidence in the case because of what he ruled were flawed analysis techniques used by a Texas Department of Public Safety forensic scientist. Prosecutors had planned to use this DNA to connect Criner to Weiser’s death.
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2018/07 ... iner-trial

Somebody messed up.

ETA:
That analyst, Jody Koehler, testified Tuesday that she did not follow the DPS’ multistep standard operating procedure when she changed her conclusion after running DNA samples through the software.

It was not clear exactly how Koehler erred, but it came out in her testimony that under the previous testing method, Criner would not have been found to match the DNA authorities found on Weiser’s right thigh. A radically different outcome resulted when she used the new software, which determined that it’s 192,000 times more likely that DNA found on Weiser’s thigh belonged to Weiser and Criner than to Weiser and anyone else.
https://www.mystatesman.com/news/crime- ... IbsdHamgI/
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “The Crime Blotter”