Question about TSA Pre office in airport

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longhorn86
Posts in topic: 3

Question about TSA Pre office in airport

Post by longhorn86 »

Need y'all's opinions/expertise. I am signing up on the TSA Pre check program and have made my interview appointment for 2 weeks from now. TSA has a Pre center in the unsecured area of the San Antonio airport. The airport is owned by the City of San Antonio, I know I can carry in the airport unsecured areas, my question is because TSA is federal agency will that make their office off limits?
NRA Life Member

FtwBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question about TSA Pre office in airport

Post by FtwBill »

longhorn86 wrote:Need y'all's opinions/expertise. I am signing up on the TSA Pre check program and have made my interview appointment for 2 weeks from now. TSA has a Pre center in the unsecured area of the San Antonio airport. The airport is owned by the City of San Antonio, I know I can carry in the airport unsecured areas, my question is because TSA is federal agency will that make their office off limits?
I don't have an answer on that but I did my precheck stuff at the office in mid cities instead of the Dfw airport office and I was literally in and out in less than 5 minutes. Maybe they have a satellite office in SA that may be leas hassle.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Given the bad press surrounding the Thousands Standing Around crowd, I would not risk the appointment and secure it in your vehicle.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

longhorn86 wrote:Need y'all's opinions/expertise. I am signing up on the TSA Pre check program and have made my interview appointment for 2 weeks from now. TSA has a Pre center in the unsecured area of the San Antonio airport. The airport is owned by the City of San Antonio, I know I can carry in the airport unsecured areas, my question is because TSA is federal agency will that make their office off limits?
I would consider the offices where you interview to be offices where federal workers are present for performing their jobs. Technically they would need to post the 18 USC 930 notice on the door to the office, but I'd leave it in the car. When I went to get my Global Entry at DFW I think it was a DHS office. TSA is part of DHS, but I think for GE it's customs & border protection that does it. It gets you TSA Pre-Check too for almost the same price, so if you have a passport might as well get it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

I did my TSA Pre and Global Entry sessions at Austin Bergstrom. I was returning from a trip when I did my TSA Pre session, so I wasn't carrying. I specifically did not carry in my Global Entry interview since it was with US Customer officers. Even though in the non-secure area, I figure it was enough of a grey area that I just left it in the truck

FWIW, I'd probably not have carried for the TSA pre interview either. Turns out they have contractors doing the processing, but I just didn't want the risk of being hassled if for some reason they notices I was carrying.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I almost always get prechecked approved when I buy my tickets. I didn't sign up for anything.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ammoboy2 »

I would recommend Global Entry as well since it is just $15 more than the TSA PreCheck only.

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

ammoboy2 wrote:I would recommend Global Entry as well since it is just $15 more than the TSA PreCheck only.
second this.
TX CHL 1997

artx

Post by artx »

I did the precheck 'interview' and printing in SA several months ago. The office is off a main hallway to one of the terminal entry and exit doors. Very small, a waiting room that is part of the entry and exit area and one office where you do the electronic printing and questions. No metal detector or no gun signs.

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

My Pre-Check is comped (free no BG check or interview) by AA, but I am pretty sure I saw the interview room INSIDE the secure area of terminal D at DFW. So what is your plan if they decide to interview you inside the secure area?

Topic author
longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Solaris wrote:My Pre-Check is comped (free no BG check or interview) by AA, but I am pretty sure I saw the interview room INSIDE the secure area of terminal D at DFW. So what is your plan if they decide to interview you inside the secure area?
My interview is at San Antonio airport, the enrollment center is outside the security checkpoint.
NRA Life Member

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

longhorn86 wrote:
Solaris wrote:My Pre-Check is comped (free no BG check or interview) by AA, but I am pretty sure I saw the interview room INSIDE the secure area of terminal D at DFW. So what is your plan if they decide to interview you inside the secure area?
My interview is at San Antonio airport, the enrollment center is outside the security checkpoint.
Yes I read that. So I guess you have no plan if for whatever reason they decide to take you into the secure area.....

Topic author
longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

I will probably just secure my gun in the truck. Not worth taking a chance. Thanks to all for their feedback.
NRA Life Member

jailbird

Post by jailbird »

I did mine at terminal C in DFW, which is outside the secure area. I DID carry concealed the whole time! :coolgleamA:

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

global Entry interview is in terminal D of DFW, outside the secure area

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”