new to Texas! got some questions...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NeoAustinite
Posts in topic: 1

new to Texas! got some questions...

Post by NeoAustinite »

Hi everyone, so I'm brand new to Texas, but definitely here to stay. Ran away from the cold in Connecticut. I have a CT concealed carry permit, and recently got my TX driver's license, car plates, TXTag etc. and had a couple general questions...

What's the process for getting a carry permit in TX, and does it help or make the process any different since I have a CT permit? (my CT permit is good thru 2020) or should I not even bother getting a TX permit since my CT one is "good" in TX? (reciprocity)

How do private transfers work in TX, either in parking lots or gun shows - What I'm used to in CT is having to fill out paperwork, and call the state to get an authorization number after giving them the buyer and seller permit numbers. Am I even allowed to buy or sell a handgun in TX without the TX license?

If I wanted to purchase either a long gun or handgun from an FFL, or order one online and have it transferred to me by an FFL, would my CT license be good enough for that, or do I have to get the TX license?

Thanks everyone!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: new to Texas! got some questions...

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:
NeoAustinite wrote:Hi everyone, so I'm brand new to Texas, but definitely here to stay. Ran away from the cold in Connecticut. I have a CT concealed carry permit, and recently got my TX driver's license, car plates, TXTag etc. and had a couple general questions...

What's the process for getting a carry permit in TX, and does it help or make the process any different since I have a CT permit? (my CT permit is good thru 2020) or should I not even bother getting a TX permit since my CT one is "good" in TX? (reciprocity)
To get a permit in TX, you must take the class from an authorized instructor and apply to the state. You can carry on a valid non-resident permit, but there are advantages to getting a resident permit, such as no NICS check when purchasing firearms, Gun Free School Zone exemption, and reciprocity in states that only honor a permit from your state of residence.
NeoAustinite wrote:
How do private transfers work in TX, either in parking lots or gun shows - What I'm used to in CT is having to fill out paperwork, and call the state to get an authorization number after giving them the buyer and seller permit numbers. Am I even allowed to buy or sell a handgun in TX without the TX license?
Yes, private in-state sales between individuals are just that, private. No requirement to contact the state or get a permit. The restrictions still apply to age, eligibility (not prohibited from owning), etc.
NeoAustinite wrote:
If I wanted to purchase either a long gun or handgun from an FFL, or order one online and have it transferred to me by an FFL, would my CT license be good enough for that, or do I have to get the TX license?
As a Texas resident, you don't need a license to purchase a handgun or long gun from a dealer or through an FFL, but you must fill out the paperwork. if you have a TX LTC, then the FFL/dealer does not have to run a background check through NICS, they just write your LTC number on the form and you head out with the firearm.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

OMG, are you in for a shock. Welcome to Texas where you can enjoy most of your 2A rights without state oversight.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

rotor

Post by rotor »

oohrah wrote:OMG, are you in for a shock. Welcome to Texas where you can enjoy most of your 2A rights without state oversight.
I agree. Not only that but you can buy 100 round magazines if you want. None of that stupid Connecticut stuff.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

CAUTION.

If your CT permit is a RESIDENT permit, it is not valid in TX and you cannot carry here.

Does not matter if CT says your resident permit is valid until renewal. If it is a resident permit and you are not a resident, it's not valid in TX.

This is my OPINION, not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Weg

Post by Weg »

All I can say is, your free now. Please vote appropriately to retain that freedom. Welcome to Texas.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ScottDLS »

RoyGBiv wrote:CAUTION.

If your CT permit is a RESIDENT permit, it is not valid in TX and you cannot carry here.

Does not matter if CT says your resident permit is valid until renewal. If it is a resident permit and you are not a resident, it's not valid in TX.

Where does the law say this?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

oohrah wrote:OMG, are you in for a shock. Welcome to Texas where you can enjoy most of your 2A rights without state oversight.
:smilelol5: "rlol"
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Welcome to Texas and welcome to the forum. I am assuming from your username that you are in Austin. Just be aware that you are in the bastion of liberalism in the the State (and yes we capilize the word State here) you will receive all kinds of bad info if you limit yourself to the the left wingers who congregate around the Capitol building or inhabit the campus of UT.

I was born and raised in Texas and you will come to realize that there is so much more to Texas than Austin. This forum has some of the most well informed people to advise you regarding getting your Texas LTC, ranges for practice, gun/ammo sales, and general info about the State.

Take some time to read through the This day in Texas History threads, explore Texas on your own, and practice our State Motto "Friendship"
A word of advice, NEVER try to tell a Texan "How you did it up north" You won't like the response you get.

With a Texas LTC, you can go into the Capitol in the express line. Carry is legal there except for congressional hearings etc..
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Morbidrealities

Post by Morbidrealities »

ScottDLS wrote:

I'm pretty sure that if the gentleman is no longer a resident of CT then he is disqualified. The address on his permit is no longer valid. He may have the change of address window we are allowed here, but he will need to take his class and apply ASAP.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

CT licenses are honored by the great state of Texas. It's a unilateral agreement on the Texas end.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/legal/reciprocity/

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/le ... nnproc.pdf

Hmm, the change of residence on his part could be a problem. What does CT say on their end?

Only a TX license gets you out of the background check on an FFL purchase/transfer.

And, welcome.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Morbidrealities wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

I'm pretty sure that if the gentleman is no longer a resident of CT then he is disqualified. The address on his permit is no longer valid. He may have the change of address window we are allowed here, but he will need to take his class and apply ASAP.
Connecticut issues non-resident licenses. It is possible that the license is not address specific and automatically converts to a non=resident when he moves out of state. If not automatic, it is possible to just change the address and it stays valid. Texas is this way.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Jusme wrote:With a Texas LTC, you can go into the Capitol in the express line. Carry is legal there except for congressional hearings etc..
The only time carry is off limits in the Capitol is if they have posted 30.06 signs and are a governmental meeting under TPC 46.035 (c). I carried there shortly after the Senate made their final vote on the Conference Committee Report of HB910.

Some of your best resources are going to be this site, as well as looking through the PDF of relevant Texas law provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety which can be found here: CHL-16

Additionally, the DPS site has all the information you need for how to apply in their FAQ section here: TxDPS - LTC FAQs

Welcome to Texas!

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Welcome to Texas and the Forum. :tiphat:

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The OP didn't ask, but He/She should become familiar with our Motorist Protection Act....as it relates to vehicle carry for those who qualify. No license required, but has certain restrictions.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”