Cleveland cop openly states he doesn't care about constitution for RNC

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
denwego
Posts in topic: 1

Cleveland cop openly states he doesn't care about constitution for RNC

Post by denwego »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/17/politics/ ... pen-carry/
"We are sending a letter to Gov. Kasich requesting assistance from him. He could very easily do some kind of executive order or something -- I don't care if it's constitutional or not at this point," Stephen Loomis, president of Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association, told CNN. "They can fight about it after the RNC or they can lift it after the RNC, but I want him to absolutely outlaw open-carry in Cuyahoga County until this RNC is over."
(emphasis added)

Wow, and cops wonder why so many people have a general attitude of us-versus-them. I'm glad Kasich responded in a way that shows that he has his head on straight, at least.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Cleveland cop openly states he doesn't care about constitution for RNC

Post by Skiprr »

Loomis about to appear on Fox News in a couple of minutes. Will be interesting...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

It would be smart for people to NOT open carry around there. Keep it concealed & life will go on.

As far as this cops statement, he should be held accountable for his statement. Many people feel that police already don't care about constitutional rights, and that seems to prove the point.

When the guns were seized in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina, those officers had the same mentality.

No, gun laws should NOT be suspended!

How about instead they cancel the conventions? It would save a lot of money and would allow the police to go back to patroling their beats, fighting & supressing crime. They ship police officers in from all over the country to work these. In this day & age, how hard would it be to electronically collect the votes of the delegates?
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

The cop should turn in his badge and go flip burgers. Pretty flagrant misunderstanding of his oath.

What makes these goons believe that if open carry were suspended, or the Ohio Legislature rushed to the Capitol tonight and voted unanimously to make it illegal permanently and the Governor signed it, or there was a referendum tomorrow morning and every last voter in Ohio voted to ban open carry effective at noon, the trouble makers would give a flip about it and lay down their weapons?

The purpose of these rallies, demonstrations, is to project power.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Distinguished Rick

Post by Distinguished Rick »

Gov. Kasich responded correctly IMO. Constitutional rights should never be suspended for any reason. This would set a dangerous presedent that anytime LE felt overwelmed they would just suspend citizens rights. I personally would not open carry around a potenial powderkeg, however, I would carry and conceal. Let common sense be your guide. If I didnt have business around the conventions then I would stay home and watch it on tv.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am not for sure how they get to do this and then it takes 500 years to get the SCOTUS. It is like what happened with Katrina.

Why is it that when you violate peoples right you are not arrested right away rather you are LEO, Governor, Mayor, etc. . .? If they would lock these folks up, let them make bail, and give them a court date they might not be so quick to make these bans.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

carlson1 wrote:I am not for sure how they get to do this and then it takes 500 years to get the SCOTUS. It is like what happened with Katrina.

Why is it that when you violate peoples right you are not arrested right away rather you are LEO, Governor, Mayor, etc. . .? If they would lock these folks up, let them make bail, and give them a court date they might not be so quick to make these bans.

:iagree:

They do what they do since consequence of their doing is as loud as a rock sitting atop of glass house.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Do police officers really wonder why so many have negative feelings towards them when they tolerate morons like this guy in their midst.

He has openly defied his oath to uphold the constitution. If he keeps his badge, it is a disgrace for all of his brother and sister officers.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

today fox news is very disappointing first shepard acts so heart broken that jindal says all lives matter then the rest are so amazed ohio allows open carry and how can they allow that when emotions are so high. Hate to say but the ppl open carrying are not the problem it is the ppl on the hides you cant see ya need to worry about.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Shepard is an emotional bleeding heart liberal twit. Can't stand the guy.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

AndyC wrote:
We are constitutional law enforcement, we love the Constitution, support it and defend it, but you can't go into a crowded theater and scream fire. And that's exactly what they're doing by bringing those guns down there."
Wrong.

You can't FALSELY scream fire, dummy.

“The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr, US Supreme Court in Schenck v. United States 1919.
This.

If Loomis loves, supports, and defends the Constitution...he should read it sometime.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cyphertext »

Allen West also supports suspending open carry during the convention, and he is on the NRA board. While I understand tensions are high, I can't support suspending constitutional rights.

"Now, to the RNC convention… First, let me address the issue of the Cleveland Police Union leadership requesting of Ohio Governor John Kasich a suspension of the Open Carry Law for the convention. Yes, I’m a Life Member of the NRA and y’all know that I’m an NRA Board member, but what I am stating here is my personal assessment.

I am a serious and staunch supporter of the Second Amendment, but I also have some common sense. In light of the recent terror events in Orlando and Nice, — combined with the rise of ambush -tyle attacks against our law enforcement officers — I believe a secure environment is more important.

My recommendation would be a security cordon radius around the RNC convention site where the open carry law is suspended for the time frame of the event. It should be the decision of the head of the Cleveland Police to determine the radius of that cordon. This has already been done in the immediate convention zone area — but in light of these recent activities of ambushes against law enforcement officers, that security cordon should be expanded — for the safety of our police officers, and those outside that immediate zone."

http://www.allenbwest.com/allen/head-cl ... st-concern

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

A policeman who does not care about your 2nd amendment rights cannot be depended on to protect your 4th amendment rights.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

cyphertext wrote:Allen West also supports suspending open carry during the convention, and he is on the NRA board. While I understand tensions are high, I can't support suspending constitutional rights.

"Now, to the RNC convention… First, let me address the issue of the Cleveland Police Union leadership requesting of Ohio Governor John Kasich a suspension of the Open Carry Law for the convention. Yes, I’m a Life Member of the NRA and y’all know that I’m an NRA Board member, but what I am stating here is my personal assessment.

I am a serious and staunch supporter of the Second Amendment, but I also have some common sense. In light of the recent terror events in Orlando and Nice, — combined with the rise of ambush -tyle attacks against our law enforcement officers — I believe a secure environment is more important.

My recommendation would be a security cordon radius around the RNC convention site where the open carry law is suspended for the time frame of the event. It should be the decision of the head of the Cleveland Police to determine the radius of that cordon. This has already been done in the immediate convention zone area — but in light of these recent activities of ambushes against law enforcement officers, that security cordon should be expanded — for the safety of our police officers, and those outside that immediate zone."

http://www.allenbwest.com/allen/head-cl ... st-concern
So then maybe we should also have a Zone around the convention center as a no free speech zone as speech is the thing that Rallies emotions, as much as I support police they are not a special class of people that require special rules that limit the rights of the citizenry.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”