Gun belts.

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mbschne
Posts in topic: 1

Gun belts.

Post by mbschne »

Pre CHL I've always bought the thickest leather belt's I could find, either from Academy or TSC because they tended to last longer. I've hand my CHL for several years now and began using the same non gun leather belts. I carry OWB with a Ruger SR9c and have carried for over twelve hours a day on several occasions with no discomfort. On my last birthday my wife talked me into getting a "gun belt". I ordered and received a 39" bull hide belt with stiffener from the Belt Man. I ordered this brand due to the recommendations on various hand gum forums. It's a beautiful belt and I have no doubt it will last many years. But I honestly can not tell any difference in comfort between my non gun belts to my "gun belt". Has anyone else had this experience?

JMod45
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun belts.

Post by JMod45 »

I just used a normal leather belt when I first got my license. I bought a 5.11 tactical belt a while back, can't say I noticed as much difference as everyone said I would, then I got an alien gear belt for Christmas this year. I still can't tell that much difference with that belt, but I rarely carry with a normal leather belt, so I haven't done a side by side. I can't clip my cell phone case onto my gun belt, so I'll be carrying with a normal belt starting next week. Maybe I'll notice a difference in the belts then.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I've found its the stiffness that matters .. It's either good enough or it isn't. I lighter gun isn't so demanding. If you were to carry a fulll sized glock, 1911, or a Ruger P92. You migh find that the real gunbelt has an advantage. The holster makes a differene too if the holster is wide and stiff it won't depend on a belt as much for support.

In other words if it works for you then its great.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flechero

Post by flechero »

Depends on a few things... how stiff belt is, how tight you wear it,how heavy your gun is and what holster you use. Your guns isn't that heavy so the difference you notice may be small. I've had Beltman belts in the past and they worked well for lighter guns. I now use AG Gunleather and can tell a pretty substantial difference, especially when carrying a steel 1911. The biggest factor in the "good" gunbelts is that you can wear them a hole bigger (looser) than you wear other belts because they sit on the hip. the difference in tension is what I believe makes them so much more comfortable. If you wear your belt fairly tight, you'll notice much less difference, IMO.

It may feel the same and just last longer then your TSC/Academy belt before it wears out. I have no experience with them but I've read on other forums that TSC belts are actually pretty good.

JMod45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JMod45 »

I was thinking about this last night. I have always worn my belts fairly tight, so that is likely why I haven't noticed the difference. I also carry an M&P Shield with an Alien Gear IWB. If I carried OWB with a full size, I would likely notice as well.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Liberty wrote:I've found its the stiffness that matters .. It's either good enough or it isn't. I lighter gun isn't so demanding. If you were to carry a fulll sized glock, 1911, or a Ruger P92. You migh find that the real gunbelt has an advantage. The holster makes a differene too if the holster is wide and stiff it won't depend on a belt as much for support.

In other words if it works for you then its great.
This. Carry a Glock 21 with a mounted light, plus two spare mags and you will quickly notice a difference.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”