From military to LEO in 120 hrs

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rpenn57
Posts in topic: 1

From military to LEO in 120 hrs

Post by Rpenn57 »

I may be late to the party, but this is the first I've heard of this and not sure what to think about it yet.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/op ... ing/nsHFy/

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Re: From military to LEO in 120 hrs

Post by TexasTornado »

Personally I think it's great. The article over simplifies the issue tho. Just because they become a licensed peace officer in 120 hours doesn't mean they won't receive additional training and on the job training in their individual departments. I think like a lot of things, people are all too eager to make an issue of a non-issue.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

"SB 162 has allowed Special Forces personnel such as Army Special Forces (Green Berets), Marine Force Recon, Air Force Pararescue or Navy SEALS to become a police officer with only three weeks of training."

I have no issue with that, if it applies to the above mentioned Special Forces individuals.

Any idea what training is required for SEAL, or Green Beret?

"Just 120 hours of training to carry a badge, a gun and the authority to stop, detain and arrest anyone they believe they should."

:headscratch

Isn't that LEO's objective anyways?

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Despite his being former military, the author seems to lack of level of knowledge about what certain special forces capabilities are - calling a SEAL "a sailor trained in parachuting and reconnaissance techniques" is like calling a M249 machine gun a target rifle.

Also suspect is why this individual is calling out the State of Texas over something that was enacted over two years ago?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

bblhd672 wrote:Despite his being former military, the author seems to lack of level of knowledge about what certain special forces capabilities are - calling a SEAL "a sailor trained in parachuting and reconnaissance techniques" is like calling a M249 machine gun a target rifle.

Also suspect is why this individual is calling out the State of Texas over something that was enacted over two years ago?

All part of the "cops are bad guys" agenda. He doesn't even have a number of military vets who have taken advantage of this policy, nor whether there have been any issues on the streets because of it. Just a typical liberal, trying to make a problem where none exists. I have a feeling , that he was denied entry into a police training course for one reason or another, or got kicked out of ranger training.
Before they can sign up, log on and be handed a badge, the agency that is hiring, will send them through a battery of psychological testing, thoroughly check their background, and have a lengthy interview process. It is not as simple as the author describes it. 120 hours of intense study, is also not a cakewalk, not to mention that they still have to pass a State test to get their Peace Officer's license.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

"Karson, a former customs agent, is an assistant professor of criminal justice at the University of Houston-Downtown. A veteran of the Army, after active duty overseas he served as a paratrooper assigned to the 12th Special Forces Group, U.S. Army Reserve."

It would make a little more sense if the legislation was aimed at <insert your branch of service law arm here>.

I think most veterans would agree that the role of civilian peace officer is a vastly different job than any in the military, no matter how elite or special.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Scott B. wrote:"Karson, a former customs agent, is an assistant professor of criminal justice at the University of Houston-Downtown. A veteran of the Army, after active duty overseas he served as a paratrooper assigned to the 12th Special Forces Group, U.S. Army Reserve."

It would make a little more sense if the legislation was aimed at <insert your branch of service law arm here>.

I think most veterans would agree that the role of civilian peace officer is a vastly different job than any in the military, no matter how elite or special.
I tend to agree. If anything I'd think they would have extended this to military veterans who had served as military police (Army and USMC), shore patrol (Navy), Maritime Law Enforcement (Coast Guard), and security forces (Air Force).
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

The mission of a special forces soldier or sailor is much different than that of a civilian police officer. Different mindset and objectives involved. Just because one possesses tactical skills and training doesn't mean one is prepared and qualified to be a civilian police officer. The question is, is 120 hours of training sufficient. I'm not sure it for a regular patrol officer. Now, being assigned to a SWAT unit full time is more in line with special forces training, objective and mindset.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I know a few special ops Air force folks and one Seal. I would not consider any of them a good candidate for civilian LE.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Tend to agree with mojo84 and WTR, Know quite a few from AF and Army Special Ops (something about having almost 30 years active duty and then another 15 years training active as well as reserve folks). Great folks, highly trained for specialized operations (MOST) have great weapons skills, but believe that there is a whole lot more to civilian police work than just great weapon skills. Believe that the SOF folks would make great trainers for LE on weapons. One of the areas I work is virtual weapon engagement systems and we have had a number of LE use our systems.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

mojo84 wrote:The mission of a special forces soldier or sailor is much different than that of a civilian police officer. Different mindset and objectives involved. Just because one possesses tactical skills and training doesn't mean one is prepared and qualified to be a civilian police officer. The question is, is 120 hours of training sufficient. I'm not sure it for a regular patrol officer. Now, being assigned to a SWAT unit full time is more in line with special forces training, objective and mindset.
I couldn't not agree more. I was a Special Forces soldier (a green beret is a hat, Girl Scouts wear one too. It doesn't keep the sun out of your eyes, it doesn't keep your head from getting wet and it smells like a goat when wet.)

My brother was LEO for years and I rode with him some. No thank you.

I agree with the MP idea if anything.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

mojo84 wrote:The mission of a special forces soldier or sailor is much different than that of a civilian police officer. Different mindset and objectives involved. Just because one possesses tactical skills and training doesn't mean one is prepared and qualified to be a civilian police officer. The question is, is 120 hours of training sufficient. I'm not sure it for a regular patrol officer. Now, being assigned to a SWAT unit full time is more in line with special forces training, objective and mindset.
:iagree:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

TexasTornado wrote:Personally I think it's great. The article over simplifies the issue tho. Just because they become a licensed peace officer in 120 hours doesn't mean they won't receive additional training and on the job training in their individual departments. I think like a lot of things, people are all too eager to make an issue of a non-issue.
It also doesn't mean they WILL receive that additional training.

Many, if not most, departments have far too small training budgets.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasTornado »

Pawpaw wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:Personally I think it's great. The article over simplifies the issue tho. Just because they become a licensed peace officer in 120 hours doesn't mean they won't receive additional training and on the job training in their individual departments. I think like a lot of things, people are all too eager to make an issue of a non-issue.
It also doesn't mean they WILL receive that additional training.

Many, if not most, departments have far too small training budgets.
Even in my small podunk town I've never seen them just let a rookie go on his/her own. They're always teamed up with someone for "on the job training."
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “Off-Topic”