SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

Post by RHenriksen »

Nice to see a 2A bill make it onto the Lt. Gov's priority list. Shame it's not about elimination of gun free zones, though.

https://www.ltgov.state.tx.us/2016/11/2 ... riorities/
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

TreyHouston

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

Post by TreyHouston »

I don't have much opinion on bills because they are very long and complicated! but here are some thoughts:

"HB111 (Moody) Relating to an educational program and fee reductions to improve firearm safety.
Impact: This Bill would reduce the fee for a LTC for an applicant that bought a “secure storage device” by an amount equal to the cost of the device, or $40, whichever is lesser. The Bill would also require DPS to create a gun safety program, including a pamphlet promoting the program
Position on Bill: Oppose.
Comments: While this is a “feel good bill,” it accomplishes nothing. There is a stand along bill to repeal all LTC fees, so this bill would be in conflict. The best gun safety courses in existence are those created by the NRA, including but not limited to the NRA Eddie Eagle Program and Home Firearm Safety Program. A better way to promote gun safety is to require all public school students be provided both of these programs in school at no cost to the school."

as read on:
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

:thumbs2:

HB339 (Burrows) Relating to the removal of a fee for the issuance of an original, duplicate, modified, or renewed license to carry a handgun.
Impact: Removes all fees for obtaining, replacing, updating or renewing a License to Carry a Handgun.
Position on Bill: Support
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

TreyHouston wrote:I don't have much opinion on bills because they are very long and complicated! but here are some thoughts:

"HB111 (Moody) Relating to an educational program and fee reductions to improve firearm safety.
Impact: This Bill would reduce the fee for a LTC for an applicant that bought a “secure storage device” by an amount equal to the cost of the device, or $40, whichever is lesser. The Bill would also require DPS to create a gun safety program, including a pamphlet promoting the program
Position on Bill: Oppose.
Comments: While this is a “feel good bill,” it accomplishes nothing. There is a stand along bill to repeal all LTC fees, so this bill would be in conflict. The best gun safety courses in existence are those created by the NRA, including but not limited to the NRA Eddie Eagle Program and Home Firearm Safety Program. A better way to promote gun safety is to require all public school students be provided both of these programs in school at no cost to the school."

as read on:
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session

This is not a bill I can get behind. I think it is to trying appease MDA and does nothing to actually promote more people to obtain their LTC. If they have to spend any savings on a storage device, why not just spend the original fee, and not have something that seems State mandated. This bill assumes that the opposition will require this codicil before introduction. Why not an across the board reduction that actually saves people money?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

SB16 isn't in the system yet, but it is the Bill I alluded to when noting the TFC opposition to HB111. I have no doubt that anti-gun Texas Gun Sense is behind HB111.

Chas.

BeanCounter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BeanCounter »

Jusme wrote: Why not an across the board reduction that actually saves people money?
I agree. why not reduce LTC fees 50% across the board for the various classes of license applicants.

If THEY want to promote “secure storage devices" why not allow a sales tax exemption for gun safes, etc?
TSRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

BeanCounter wrote:
Jusme wrote: Why not an across the board reduction that actually saves people money?
I agree. why not reduce LTC fees 50% across the board for the various classes of license applicants.

If THEY want to promote “secure storage devices" why not allow a sales tax exemption for gun safes, etc?
SB16 will do away with the fee entirely, unless the bill has been amended prior to filing. The Lt. Gov. really wants this done!

Chas.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

If you eliminate the fee then tax dollars from other programs have to pay for the processing of the LTC. I am not going to argue whether LTC should be eliminated but the person applying for one should be at a minimum paying for it.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

rotor wrote:If you eliminate the fee then tax dollars from other programs have to pay for the processing of the LTC. I am not going to argue whether LTC should be eliminated but the person applying for one should be at a minimum paying for it.
I understand your point, but we are dealing with a constitutional right. If the Legislature feels that the licensing law should exist for public safety reasons, then the cost should be born by the general public. The cost of voter registration is born by the public and voting is also a constitutional right.

Chas.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
BeanCounter wrote:

SB16 will do away with the fee entirely, unless the bill has been amended prior to filing. The Lt. Gov. really wants this done!

Chas.

Sorry I only read part of the,way through it.
I understood the reduction to be continent upon purchasing a storage unit for the gun. I need to slow down a little bit. :oops:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Jusme wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
BeanCounter wrote:

Chas.

Sorry I only read part of the,way through it.
I understood the reduction to be continent upon purchasing a storage unit for the gun. I need to slow down a little bit. :oops:
HB111 will be a discount only if you buy a storage device. SB16 repeals the fee, but the bill is not yet available on the Leg. website.

Chas.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

I thought that something said that the ltc's had to support the department? if that's the case then it can't be fee free? this doesn't make sense...understand, I'll go for anything that means I'm not giving the govn't more of my $. I'm just not understanding how this can't work withing what I understand the law to be.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

SewTexas wrote:I thought that something said that the ltc's had to support the department? if that's the case then it can't be fee free? this doesn't make sense...understand, I'll go for anything that means I'm not giving the govn't more of my $. I'm just not understanding how this can't work withing what I understand the law to be.
There's no legal or constitutional requirement that the LTC program be self-supporting. That has been the Legislature's requirement since 1993 (HB1776). It's still going to be a hard sell since the fiscal note on the Bill is going to be a shocker. Nevertheless, it's the right thing to do.

Chas.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I thought that something said that the ltc's had to support the department? if that's the case then it can't be fee free? this doesn't make sense...understand, I'll go for anything that means I'm not giving the govn't more of my $. I'm just not understanding how this can't work withing what I understand the law to be.
There's no legal or constitutional requirement that the LTC program be self-supporting. That has been the Legislature's requirement since 1993 (HB1776). It's still going to be a hard sell since the fiscal note on the Bill is going to be a shocker. Nevertheless, it's the right thing to do.

Chas.
ah, got it. thanks for the clarification.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”