School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 8

School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

Post by troglodyte »

I received, and replied to, the email notification of the SSCIT training on Jan. 26-27.

Class will be in Florence.
Last edited by troglodyte on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 5

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class Notification

Post by kg5ie »

I received my invite too. Guess I will see you there.

Anyone have a recommendation on a hotel that's close?

Bill
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I haven't found a hotel in Florence, no surprise. I'll probably stay in Killeen or Lampasas depending on the class schedule.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Maybe their next email will suggest places to stay, but I doubt it. :???

Georgetown is about 15 miles away. I assume class will be at the range/training facility.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

When I was in first of two pilot classes, we received an information packet in the mail that listed some hotels that gave a DPS discount. As I recall, I stayed at one on I-35 in or just north of Georgetown.

Chas.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AF-Odin »

Plenty of hotels in Killeen and only 20-30 minutes from Florence. To the best of my knowledge, there are no hotels in Florence (at least I don't remember seeing any). Killeen has most of the reputable chains due to proximity to Fort Hood. Personally, I like the Residence Inn, but Holiday Inn, Super 8, Courtyard, and many more. Just need to see what fits your budget.

Word to the wise, a LARGE military exercise will be taking place on Fort Hood with most of the folks arriving 28-30 January and many of these will be staying in hotels. A number will be coming in the week of 23 Jan so if you want reservations quickly.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

paultmartin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by paultmartin »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:When I was in first of two pilot classes, we received an information packet in the mail that listed some hotels that gave a DPS discount. As I recall, I stayed at one on I-35 in or just north of Georgetown.

Chas.

I am registered for the instructor course at the end of January. Can you share the course of fire that instructors will be required to complete?

Thanks in advance -

Paul

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

paultmartin wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:When I was in first of two pilot classes, we received an information packet in the mail that listed some hotels that gave a DPS discount. As I recall, I stayed at one on I-35 in or just north of Georgetown.

Chas.

I am registered for the instructor course at the end of January. Can you share the course of fire that instructors will be required to complete?

Thanks in advance -

Paul
We were a pilot class so things probably did change to some degree. We shot the regular LTC course and we had to score 90% just as all LTC instructors must to obtain or renew their LTC Instructor Certificate. (Teacher students must shoot 90% as well.) We then shot at least 150 more rounds of varying drills, but I can't recall any specifics. I don't recall if those were scored or not. Again, these probably changed.

Chas.

paultmartin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by paultmartin »

Many thanks for the reply! Appreciate your leadership on this issue -

Paul

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I got my letter of acceptance yesterday. It does say to bring both a revolver and semi for qualification, and at least 50 rounds of ammo for each for the initial qualification demo. Even though is says that additional qualification drills will be done (as a part of the class), the letter of what to bring forgot to say how much more ammo would be needed. I am planning on taking an additional 250 rounds for each gun.

Maybe Charles can tell us if that will be sufficient.

Bill D.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

kg5ie wrote:I got my letter of acceptance yesterday. It does say to bring both a revolver and semi for qualification, and at least 50 rounds of ammo for each for the initial qualification demo. Even though is says that additional qualification drills will be done (as a part of the class), the letter of what to bring forgot to say how much more ammo would be needed. I am planning on taking an additional 250 rounds for each gun.

Bill D.
250 should be more than enough, unless the additional drills changed. I brought an extra 200 rds and that was enough.

Chas.

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
kg5ie wrote:I got my letter of acceptance yesterday. It does say to bring both a revolver and semi for qualification, and at least 50 rounds of ammo for each for the initial qualification demo. Even though is says that additional qualification drills will be done (as a part of the class), the letter of what to bring forgot to say how much more ammo would be needed. I am planning on taking an additional 250 rounds for each gun.

Bill D.
250 should be more than enough, unless the additional drills changed. I brought an extra 200 rds and that was enough.

Chas.
I have been in email correspondence with Molly at the RSD. She has said to "bring as much as you did for the instructors qualification" for the SSC qualifications. Upon my reply of how much we needed for the training she responded that they haven't been told that and hope to get a better idea after the 1st class. She also said her manager was out this week and I should contact her again on Monday to see if she can get a better answer.

Bringing 250 rounds or more for my 9mm pistol is not an issue. I'm borrowing a friends .38 special since ammo for my .41 mag is expensive. I want to bring enough .38 but don't want a lot of excess that I won't use. Any extra will be given back with the revolver but I don't particularly want to give him $70+ worth of excess ammo if we only need a 100 rounds.

I don't fault Molly as I'm sure she was told to send out the initial info and wasn't told any additional information.

Hopefully I will have more info on Monday or shortly thereafter.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Got a DPS discount at Holiday Inn Express. Free breakfast and you are smarter when you stay there, so their commercial says. :thumbs2:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

troglodyte wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Bill D.

Chas.
I have been in email correspondence with Molly at the RSD. She has said to "bring as much as you did for the instructors qualification" for the SSC qualifications. Upon my reply of how much we needed for the training she responded that they haven't been told that and hope to get a better idea after the 1st class. She also said her manager was out this week and I should contact her again on Monday to see if she can get a better answer.

Bringing 250 rounds or more for my 9mm pistol is not an issue. I'm borrowing a friends .38 special since ammo for my .41 mag is expensive. I want to bring enough .38 but don't want a lot of excess that I won't use. Any extra will be given back with the revolver but I don't particularly want to give him $70+ worth of excess ammo if we only need a 100 rounds.

I don't fault Molly as I'm sure she was told to send out the initial info and wasn't told any additional information.

Hopefully I will have more info on Monday or shortly thereafter.
I'm bringing .38 also. If we need to we'll share.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

Topic author
troglodyte

Re: School Safety Certification Instructor Training Class

Post by troglodyte »

Molly was not able to give me anymore information so I called the RSD contact number. To my surprise I was only on hold about 5 minutes. I got transferred to a Mr. Allen who was very helpful and understanding. It seems he had heard that even what we received had changed. He was going to contact Sgt. Bamsch and get the definitive answer.

I'll call him back in a day or two if I haven't heard from him.

Started new thread
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”