"My Drone Crashed in Your Backyard"

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
allisji
Posts in topic: 5

"My Drone Crashed in Your Backyard"

Post by allisji »

I had a new one last night at around 8:30. This topic obviously comes up frequently about answering the door unarmed.

I was home alone last night and expecting my wife and kids home any minute. I was already getting ready for bed and had disarmed. I was in the kitchen much nearer the front door than the back bedroom where I left my pistol, and then the doorbell rang.

I thought maybe my wife had decided to come in the front door rather than the garage for some reason... sometimes the GFCI trips in the garage or the garage door opener battery gets low. So I answered the door and it was a gentleman that I didn't recognize. "Sorry to bother you." He said, "I'm you neighbor at the end of the block down there, and I just got a new drone and it crash-landed in your back yard" as he showed me the remote control. I don't know most of my neighbors unfortunately. I thought briefly that something could be up. But I didn't see any suspicious vehicles around and he looked like an honest guy...

I wasn't going to let him in my house however, so I went out to the front yard. Without my phone, keys, gun, or even my shoes. Left the front door unlocked and walked him to my back yard.

At this point he could have had cronies who rushed into my house and ransacked the place. I was totally exposed.

He operated the remote and we saw a green and red light flashing way up in the trees behind my back fence in an open area off of my property. So I kindly told him how he could get back there to the trees where his drone was stuck and wished him good luck and away he went.

Nothing happened and I'm not sure if he recovered his drone. But I realized how simple it would have been to have asked him to allow me to grab my shoes and keys, and then I could have strapped on my gun and locked the door on the way out.
Last edited by allisji on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "My Drone Crashed in Your Backyard"

Post by Jusme »

allisji wrote:I had a new one last night at around 8:30. This topic obviously comes up frequently about answering the door unarmed.

I was home along last night and expecting my wife and kids home any minute. I was already getting ready for bed and had disarmed. I was in the kitchen much nearer the front door than the back bedroom where I left my pistol, and then the doorbell rang.

I thought maybe my wife had decided to come in the front door rather than the garage for some reason... sometimes the GFCI trips in the garage of the garage door opener battery gets low. So I answered the door and it was a gentleman that I didn't recognize. "Sorry to bother you." He said, "I'm you neighbor at the end of the block down there, and I just got a new drone and it crash-landed in your back yard" as he showed me the remote control. I don't know most of my neighbors unfortunately. I thought briefly that someone could be up. But I didn't see any suspicious vehicles around and he looked like an honest guy...

I wasn't going to let him in my house however, so I went out to the front yard. Without my phone, keys, gun, or even my shoes. Left the front door unlocked and walked him to my back yard.

At this point he could have had cronies who rushed into my house and ransacked the place. I was totally exposed.

He operated the remote and we saw a green and red light flashing way up in the trees behind my back fence in an open area off of my property. So I kindly told him how he could get back there to the trees where his drone was stuck and wished him good luck and away he went.

Nothing happened and I'm not sure if he recovered his drone. But I realized how simple it would have been to have asked him to allow me to grab my shoes and keys, and then I could have strapped on my gun and locked the door on the way out.

Hindsight is always 20/20, just glad he was not a nefarious character, but that is exactly how crooks operate. I keep my gun on me until I shower, and then its within reach. or I go to bed, again, within reach. It's surprising to me how vulnerable I feel just getting up at night to use the restroom. :biggrinjester:

Good post and reminder of how quickly something bad can happen. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

You mention you have kids at home, so that limits your options somewhat (can't just leave a shotgun within reach by the front door, etc), but it looks like you took note of where you went wrong.

Personally, I don't care much for people who fly drones over my property, especially if they are equipped with cameras. I might have simply told him to get off my property.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I would have at least asked him why he was flying a drone over my yard
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Where I come from, people are no more happy with drones flying over their property than you are, but they have something you don't have:

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

RPBrown wrote:I would have at least asked him why he was flying a drone over my yard
Yeah, he explained that he lost control in the wind. He was pretty apologetic about the whole thing.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

flechero

Post by flechero »

Been there, done that! My dad bought my 7 year old a little (inexpensive) drone. Note: the cheaper the drone, the harder to fly with control!! I've had to retrieve his from a neighbor's yard a few times. :lol: He wasn't spying on anyone... in about 5 seconds the gust of wind carried it about 100 yds! Even after he cut the power to bring it down fast, it carried pretty darn far.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

Considering how inexpensive small drones have become, and how many retailers--from Wal-Mart to Brookstone--are advertising them this Christmas, "My kid's drone is in your yard" may become a very common refrain for the next month or two.

And if you want a high-res version suitable for printing on letter-sized paper, click here.

Bah, humbug! :biggrinjester:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

If it is in my yard it is mine.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

FCH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FCH »

I try to be a good neighbor. I routinely return the neighbor's kid's balls. I would give them their drone back, too. Are there no moderates left in this world? There is a difference between kids/adults playing around and what we used to call peeping Toms.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

FCH wrote:I try to be a good neighbor. I routinely return the neighbor's kid's balls. I would give them their drone back, too. Are there no moderates left in this world? There is a difference between kids/adults playing around and what we used to call peeping Toms.
Several years ago my wife bought me an inexpensive little electrically powered helicopter. It had no camera and it is basically an inexpensive, easy to use RC aircraft. The desire to control a flying toy is neither new, nor nefarious. Adding a bird's eye view from the toy will make it more enjoyable. Unless or until I engage in some questionable activity, there is no justification for any self righteous assumptions that I must prove my innocence in it's use.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

You could have asked to see his FAA Drone Registration which he is required to have in his possession while operating the drone.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

A circle slash drone sticker like the one Skippr posted would make it a Class B for his drone to come on your property.... :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I just saw this video pop-up on the internet

NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

WildBill wrote:I just saw this video pop-up on the internet

Maybe he was just delivering Christmas gifts!

I guess in the video the drone delivers the gift to the landing pad wherever the homeowner places the pad. I thought it was funny that the drone delivered the package about 200 feet away from the man's house out in an open field.
LTC since 2015

Return to “Never Again!!”