2017 Wait time

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Cfanch89
Posts in topic: 2

2017 Wait time

Post by Cfanch89 »

Took Class- 01/02/17
Submitted app online- 01/02/17
Fingerprints- 01/03/17

I will post when get an update or receive my plastic. :thumbs2:

As of Jan 10

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Received
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport Photo Holder (Out of State Only) : Received
Photo (Out of State Only) : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Proof of Special Condition : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
License To Carry A Handgun : Print pending completion of application review
Last edited by Cfanch89 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Re: 2017 Wait time

Post by C-dub »

Welcome to the forum Cfanch89!

I too will soon find out about the wait time. I will begin the renewal process for my third time in a couple days.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

K5CLC
Posts in topic: 17

Post by K5CLC »

On 1/22 it will be the max 60 days wait time for me. So another 19 days to push it to the limit. Checked the site this morning, no update yet. Hopefully my fellow state employees are back at work at DPS and working diligently on the backlog. Somebody over there find my file and push it on through!
:shock: :smash: :yawn
The Intelligent Response is a Brave Response : http://tinyurl.com/BraveResponse

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Start date is today, 1.5.17.

I just completed initiating my renewal process and even submitted my DD-214 via their secure e-mail. That was cool. Cost = $27.61

For those that may remember, I've inquired about getting a copy of my DD-214 a couple times over the last few years knowing this renewal was getting closer and that I've not had any luck in that department. Well, as luck would have it, my wife stumbled across my original a few months ago and I scanned it right away into a pdf file. Yay!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 5

Post by apvonkanel »

I guess technically I should move to this post, since the wait time carries over to 2017

Fingerprints: 12/13/2016
LTC course : 12/19/2016
All supporting documents sent electronically: 12/19/2016
Confirmation for receipt of supplementary documents: 12/20/2016
Impatiently waiting: 12/21/2016-Current

Website update (fingerprints, dd214, complete; background under review): 01/03/20117
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

C-dub wrote:Start date is today, 1.5.17.

I just completed initiating my renewal process and even submitted my DD-214 via their secure e-mail. That was cool. Cost = $27.61

For those that may remember, I've inquired about getting a copy of my DD-214 a couple times over the last few years knowing this renewal was getting closer and that I've not had any luck in that department. Well, as luck would have it, my wife stumbled across my original a few months ago and I scanned it right away into a pdf file. Yay!
Getting a copy of DD214's seems to be a hassle all around!

Topic author
Cfanch89

Post by Cfanch89 »

I was able to get my 214 on ebenefits

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/ ... onnel-file

jaclyn.jenkins

Post by jaclyn.jenkins »

I was completely surprised at the time of this process...in a positive way!

Took Class: 31 October
Submitted Application with all supporting documentation: 9 December (my DL needed to be renewed and had to wait to within one year of expiration, instead of paying $25 at the beginning of Nov and again at the end on my birthday)
Status on DPS changed to "print pending": 30 Dec
Status changed to "mailed": 4 Jan
Received plastic in mail: 9 Jan

Total time from application submission to plastic in hand: 30 days
United States Army, Retired - 2010-2014
CHL Since January 2017

Sweat Dries. Blood Clots. Bones Heal. Suck it up Buttercup.

DaveWallerCB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DaveWallerCB »

Mine went to print pending two days ago, so my fingers are crossed!!

TXRon

Post by TXRon »

The timeline thus far...
LTC Application 12/01/2016
Fingerprints: 12/9/2016
LTC Class 12/17/2016
LTC Supporting Documents Received 12/19/2016

My wife, son and I have all been going through the process together. We have the exact same timeline as above. My son received his LTC on 1/5/2017. My wife just got hers on 1/9/2017. YAY! My status has not changed.

So this leads me to believe that one or more of the following may be occurring:
- They are doing some form of triage (fast tracking some applications at the expense of others)
- It is indeed a FIFO (First In First Out) process and I should expect my LTC within a week or so. And no I won't hold my breath.
- They don't really have the process, tools or infrastructure to manage the flow (plan, track report progress, etc.). In essence a chaotic or ad hoc process.
- They have Single Point of Failures (SPOFs) within their own process flow (e.g. an approving manager goes on vacation for 2 weeks)
- Other organizations outside of their own have an ad hoc process
- Handoffs between organizations are broken resulting in delays
- I am not worthy.

Good luck to all!

DuhPanda
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DuhPanda »

The timeline thus far...
LTC Application 12/20/2016
Fingerprints: 1/4/2017
LTC Class 1/3/2017
LTC Supporting Documents Received 1/4/2017

Print Pending Changed from Pending to PRINTING 1/10/17 ;)
Waiting to receive

K5CLC
Posts in topic: 17

Post by K5CLC »

All these super fast turnaround times. As of this morning I'm still on fingerprints under review, background check under review since 11/22/16. 7 weeks exactly. :bigmouth :waiting: Attempted to call. "due to high call volume all customer service representatives are assisting other customers, please try again later."
The Intelligent Response is a Brave Response : http://tinyurl.com/BraveResponse

supersnake05

Post by supersnake05 »

K5CLC wrote:All these super fast turnaround times. As of this morning I'm still on fingerprints under review, background check under review since 11/22/16. 7 weeks exactly. :bigmouth :waiting: Attempted to call. "due to high call volume all customer service representatives are assisting other customers, please try again later."
I'm literally in the same boat as you! Actually a day ahead; background check under review since 11/21/16. I called and got the same "high volume" message, but i kept calling back. Eventually after 35 min on hold, a rep answered and said they were still working on my app and could not give me anymore info. Of course i was of the "Thanks for nothing" mindset at that point. I don't know which is worse, the wait for my LTC or the wait for my NFA tax stamps. :cryin

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

apvonkanel wrote:I guess technically I should move to this post, since the wait time carries over to 2017

Fingerprints: 12/13/2016
LTC course : 12/19/2016
All supporting documents sent electronically: 12/19/2016
Confirmation for receipt of supplementary documents: 12/20/2016
Impatiently waiting: 12/21/2016-Current

Website update (fingerprints, dd214, complete; background under review): 01/03/20117
Update:
Background check complete: 01/11/2017
Print Pending: 01/11/2017

jaclyn.jenkins

Post by jaclyn.jenkins »

supersnake05 wrote:
K5CLC wrote:All these super fast turnaround times. As of this morning I'm still on fingerprints under review, background check under review since 11/22/16. 7 weeks exactly. :bigmouth :waiting: Attempted to call. "due to high call volume all customer service representatives are assisting other customers, please try again later."
I'm literally in the same boat as you! Actually a day ahead; background check under review since 11/21/16. I called and got the same "high volume" message, but i kept calling back. Eventually after 35 min on hold, a rep answered and said they were still working on my app and could not give me anymore info. Of course i was of the "Thanks for nothing" mindset at that point. I don't know which is worse, the wait for my LTC or the wait for my NFA tax stamps. :cryin
I am hoping that quote notifies both of you.

After doing some reading in a different thread, I came across the fact/point that if you are older, then your application is going to naturally take a little bit longer than some of us youngins. Imagine doing a background check on me (25 years old with literally not even a speeding ticket) and a 45 year old (with a normal ticket here and there). Simply just more information to review. I don't think there is anything to worry about. But I know the frustration, especially when they wont give you any additional information...lol come on, I mean, its your background!!!

Hope there is a positive update in yalls status' soon!
United States Army, Retired - 2010-2014
CHL Since January 2017

Sweat Dries. Blood Clots. Bones Heal. Suck it up Buttercup.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”