Discharging firearm in a residential area

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Discharging firearm in a residential area

Post by AJSully421 »

I happen to know that a suppressed .22 can be discharged in a suburban residential area and the police not called. S&W M&P 15-22 with a Sparrow and CCI Standard Velocity in case you were wondering.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ninjabread »

In some neighborhoods an unsuppressed 9mm can be discharged with no 911 call. Not a suggestion. Just an observation.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Bolton Strid

Post by Bolton Strid »

Depends on how bad the need and what lengths you are prepared to go to in avoiding attracting any attention. I fellow I knew that was boxed in by houses on 3 sides had a real varmit problem going on - varmit apocalypse if you will - traps & poison wasn't getting the job done. He got out a pretty decent .22 rifle to use with subsonic ammo running around 700 fps, about the speed of some BB guns, and mounted a FLIR scope on top precisely zeroed for that ammo. He would creep out at around 10-11 at night after the neighborhood would be in bed, maneuvering quietly and using no flashlights. Just sitting, waiting, out in the darkness. He scored 43 kills by the time he was done and absolutely no one was the wiser as to what had been going on. The traps and poison was finally able to make headway after that. Necessity is certainly the mother of invention.
Smoke Rings in the Dark

Nano

Post by Nano »

Probably a dumb question but is an air operated BB gun considered a firearm? With 10 pumps it can become quite lethal.
NRA Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Nano wrote:Probably a dumb question but is an air operated BB gun considered a firearm? With 10 pumps it can become quite lethal.

No it is not considered a firearm, but some cities do have ordinances against shooting them within the city limits.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

"Can't fire a gun in the city limits" has the same kind of legal inference as "can't shout 'FIRE' in a theater". For BOTH of them, the rule is, you can't do either unless it is necessary to do so. You just can't randomly do them. You can't just randomly shoot off your gun inside city limits; but if you shoot a midnight burglar in your home, you HAVE discharged a firearm in the city limits, and you have NOT broken the law. Similarly, you can't just randomly shout "FIRE!" in a theater; but if there IS a fire in the theater, you can most definitely shout FIRE! in the theater. In either case, it would be most strange if you didn't "violate the law".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

The Annoyed Man wrote:"Can't fire a gun in the city limits" has the same kind of legal inference as "can't shout 'FIRE' in a theater".
Completely different in Texas.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

ninjabread wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:"Can't fire a gun in the city limits" has the same kind of legal inference as "can't shout 'FIRE' in a theater".
Although I'd like to agree with you, I cannot. That used to be the case in almost every city in Texas back prior to the 1960's(read that to mean prior to the Viet Nam War), that's not the case today, UNLESS you live in a rural city, not the numerous big cities we have here today(eg: Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Austin, El Paso etc, etc, etc) . Just opinion. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

joe817 wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
Although I'd like to agree with you, I cannot. That used to be the case in almost every city in Texas back prior to the 1960's(read that to mean prior to the Viet Nam War), that's not the case today, UNLESS you live in a rural city, not the numerous big cities we have here today(eg: Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Austin, El Paso etc, etc, etc) . Just opinion. :tiphat:
Wait......... So, you're saying that if you shoot a home invader inside your home in Houston, you will be charged with discharging your firearm inside of city limits? "rlol" "rlol" That explains Bill White and Annise Parker. :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

Wow. And here I could have sworn that had I left California 11 years ago........ :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

sbrawley wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wow. And here I could have sworn that had I left California 11 years ago........ :lol:
We need more laws that will repeal the spread of liberalism. Hmm, require ALL households to have at least one pistol and rifle or shotgun. "Constitutional" carry. Mandate firearm training in public schools.

Yeah, that should kick the liberals out. :mrgreen:
Hrmmm....Liberals believe healthcare is a right, and therefore they can mandate everyone purchase it. Since the 2nd Amendment is a right, can we mandate that everyone have at least 1 firearm?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I would talk to the police department and the animal control officer (Usually they are under the PD control as well).

We had a problem with foxes killing cats and leaving less than half eaten carcasses in my yard where I lived in a town once, when I contacted the animal control officer about it he put a single trap out, and that trap was too small for a fox. He caught a lot of kittens and skunks but no foxes. A few days later when I questioned his intelligence while talking to the police chief I was told "Shoot the things, that's what I tell my officers to do. When you kill one call the S.O. and have them dispatch animal control to pick it up." Four days and six dead foxes later the animal control officer placed properly sized traps and started catching the things effectively.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

joe817 wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
Excellent! Pick one of the Texas cities in your list and provide the text for both ordinances. The one prohibiting shooting firearms in the city and the one prohibiting shouting fire in the city. Then we can have an informed discussion whether they have the same kind of legal inference.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”