Do You Think A 30.06 Sign Welcomes OC?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Do You Think A 30.06 Sign Welcomes OC?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

apostate wrote:Finally, I really hope we all agree that neither 30.06 nor 30.07 signs have any bearing on legally carrying long guns.
I absolutely agree that OC of long guns and handguns are two different things - legally. And I'll agree that posting a 30.06 sign doesn't make OC "illegal". BUT......it defies logic to assume that a business posting a 30.06 sign and failing to post a 30.07 sign is inviting you to OC in their establishment. It seems very obvious to me that a 06 posted business is ignorant, whatever their thought processes. Remember, we are talking about people who think that by posting a 06 sign, they'll also keep out felons with concealed handguns. It seems equally obvious to me that this ignorance led to them posting a 06 sign thinking that if they posted 06, that it would keep out OC as well as CC.

So I'll stick to my belief that anyone who OC's into an 06 posted business is EITHER socially tone deaf, OR an idiot.........AND I OC MYSEF, AND FAVOR IT OVER CC ABOUT HALF THE TIME, AND AM HAPPY THAT IT PASSED. I'm just not someone who deliberately tries to twist someone else's ignorance of the law into an open invitation to poke a stick in their eye. THAT is why I posted the picture of those nimrods entering that building like they did, all tacticooled up, and inviting honest critiques of their IQs.

It's called "wisdom". Not everyone has it.

I'm sure that I might have PO'd someone with those comments, but that's my opinion.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

sixer-sxt-3.7,

Have you seen the photo that TAM posted?

If you saw these guys heading into your 30.06 posted business, what would your first thought be?

I'll bet it wouldn't be: These nice fellows probably want to engage me in a persuasive dialogue...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote:sixer-sxt-3.7,

Have you seen the photo that TAM posted?

If you saw these guys heading into your 30.06 posted business, what would your first thought be?

I'll bet it wouldn't be: These nice fellows probably want to engage me in a persuasive dialogue...
In all fairness though, apostate is right in that there is a big difference between someone OCing a long gun at port arms into a business, and someone OCing a holstered pistol into a 30.06 posted business. The former is downright alarming, begging for the cops to be called. The latter is a smaller stupidity, begging to be told to leave, and resulting in the posting of a 30.07 sign...........which still wouldn't keep out a criminal with a concealed weapon OR a long-gun toting troll like those two guys.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

apostate wrote: Finally, I really hope we all agree that neither 30.06 nor 30.07 signs have any bearing on legally carrying long guns.

I really hope we all agree just because something is legal it doesn't make it right or moral.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apostate »

mojo84 wrote:I really hope we all agree just because something is legal it doesn't make it right or moral.
I really hope we all agree just because something is illegal it doesn't make it wrong or immoral. ;-)

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

How about smart?

There's an OC camp that is predominantly truculent about, nay implacable about, OCing where they know their long guns aren't welcome.

These guys (as in TAM's photo) aren't trying to positively advance being armed, but are another set of attention hogs.

Yet, they bend over backwards to convince anyone listening to their drivel, that NO, NO, NO, they aren't seeking attention for attention sake, they're patriots trying to exercise their constitutional rights and, and, and, gulp, we're for freedom and uh, other stuff...yeah, that's it...

Baloney!

They're fringe nut cases...

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

apostate wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I really hope we all agree just because something is legal it doesn't make it right or moral.
I really hope we all agree just because something is illegal it doesn't make it wrong or immoral. ;-)
I do not agree. If it's illegal and shouldn't be, there are proper ways to address it and wrong ways to do so.

Common sense and being a reasonable person goes a long way to a polite society.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Post by imkopaka »

Someone who wants to see your gun will not post 30.06; they will post one of those fun little signs along the lines of "we welcome licensed carry, show it off if you got it!" If they do not allow concealed, a sensible person will assume they do not allow open.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

mojo84,

I think he forgot to post the word "not" illegal, though of course, I've been wrong before...maybe he'll chime in...

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apostate »

Abraham wrote: I think he forgot to post the word "not" illegal, though of course, I've been wrong before...maybe he'll chime in...
Miep Gies

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

I don't think it's "immoral" to carry concealed past a 30.06 posted in an otherwise open to the public business. It is, however, illegal. Therefore I will not purposefully do it.

The reason I don't think it's "immoral" is that I don't think that I have a moral obligation behave in the manner that an "owner" desires, when that behavior is not noticeable or relevant to others' rights to enjoy the location. Nobody has an unlimited "moral" right to regulate your behavior with the force of law, when they have otherwise invited you on the property.

There's also the issue of whether I am morally obligated to determine the "owner's" intent in regards to allowable behavior. I "own" parts of hundreds of businesses through shareholdings. I don't remember being asked about my thoughts on CCW by Exxon or Wal-Mart. Yes, I have "legally" delegated my authority as an owner to the board of directors and management, but I don't owe their prejudices any "moral" duty, do I?

How many Sole Proprietorship, owner operated, publically open, businesses are there out these days anyway. And even in those cases, by opening to the public, they have given up a certain amount of control of their property in the interest of doing business. If they don't want cops to be able to legally carry in their business, then they have to close. If they don't want their employees to carry in their cars in their parking lot...too bad.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
apostate wrote:Finally, I really hope we all agree that neither 30.06 nor 30.07 signs have any bearing on legally carrying long guns.
I absolutely agree that OC of long guns and handguns are two different things - legally. And I'll agree that posting a 30.06 sign doesn't make OC "illegal". BUT......it defies logic to assume that a business posting a 30.06 sign and failing to post a 30.07 sign is inviting you to OC in their establishment. It seems very obvious to me that a 06 posted business is ignorant, whatever their thought processes. Remember, we are talking about people who think that by posting a 06 sign, they'll also keep out felons with concealed handguns. It seems equally obvious to me that this ignorance led to them posting a 06 sign thinking that if they posted 06, that it would keep out OC as well as CC.

So I'll stick to my belief that anyone who OC's into an 06 posted business is EITHER socially tone deaf, OR an idiot.........AND I OC MYSEF, AND FAVOR IT OVER CC ABOUT HALF THE TIME, AND AM HAPPY THAT IT PASSED. I'm just not someone who deliberately tries to twist someone else's ignorance of the law into an open invitation to poke a stick in their eye. THAT is why I posted the picture of those nimrods entering that building like they did, all tacticooled up, and inviting honest critiques of their IQs.

It's called "wisdom". Not everyone has it.

I'm sure that I might have PO'd someone with those comments, but that's my opinion.
You didn't PO me. :clapping: Tell it like it is.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

apostate wrote:
Abraham wrote: I think he forgot to post the word "not" illegal, though of course, I've been wrong before...maybe he'll chime in...
Miep Gies
Always defaulting to comparing everything to the holocaust is ridiculous and offensive to many. This discussion has nothing to do with the holocaust and does not reach the gravity of such atrocities.

OlBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by OlBill »

I don't. If they post 30.06, I think it's pretty plain they don't firearms on their premises.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ninjabread »

mojo84 wrote:
apostate wrote:
I do not agree. If it's illegal and shouldn't be, there are proper ways to address it and wrong ways to do so.
Sure, but your second sentence has nothing to do with his statement. If you disagree that "just because something is illegal it doesn't make it wrong or immoral" then argue that point.

Instead you throw out red herrings about "proper ways to address it " and mock outrage that he answered Abraham with an obvious example. Why do I get the impression if he answered with a less black and white example you would have happily argued the morality of that law breaking, further dragging the discussion off topic? I think your outrage is not that a holocaust example is inappropriate, but that you can't argue against the holocaust example.

You're like the SJW who screams"RACISM!" when they realize they're losing an argument, :lol:
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”