My EDC blade of choice

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

My EDC blade of choice

Post by cmgee67 »

Growing up I've always been into guns but honestly they were always just a tool to me. I've been hunting since I was 5 and a gun has and is a tool to me. But blades on the other hand yes while they are tools i find them mystical and cool in ways more so than firearms. I've been collecting a long time. I have had everything from a Case trapper to a Chris Reeve Sebenza. My experience with knives is far greater than firearms. The Steel, the handle scales material the locking mechinism the grind just everything about them is amazing to me. Some carry a knife and it's just that a knife. They won't spend more than 20$ on a blade and why spend 500$ When a 20$ knife does the same thing? I can see the argument but quality and steel and other things make a difference in performance. I have extensive use with spyderco, benchmade, ZT, CRKT, cold steel, buck, Case, GEC, Bark River, Chris reeve, Medford knife and tool, and many many others. But the one knife that lives in my pocket than I just cannot go anywhere without is the benchmade griptilian. Mine is the plain Jane satin finished 154cm blade with the black polymer handles. I love the buttery smoothness of the axis lock and the strength is amazing. I have carried it daily for 9 months it's still rock solid. Although is showing some wear. I carry a back up knife like I carry a back up mag. Usually my case peanut in CV or spyderco endura 4. But the Griptilian is a work horse. I can use it with cotton and leather gloves when I have to and I can deploy it faster than an assisted or even most auto knives. It's light weight and looks good I think. Sure are there more attractive knives? Sure and I have some but this thing is like the glock of knives to me. It just works. I love blades. What do you typically carry? As stated I carry the benchmade griptilian paired with my case penaut in CV. Makes a wonderful pair.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My EDC blade of choice

Post by carlson1 »

I have a Benchmade (HK) OTF I carry from time to time. My favorite is Kershaw Knockout. I am currently on my second Kershaw Knockout. I have found I use my knife way more than I have any other tool. I am not too for sure how I have been able to make it this long without one. It was several years back when someone here on the forum mentioned he used his knife more than any other tool.

68Charger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 68Charger »

I carry a Benchmade or SOG most of the time. My SOG is not your $20 one that you would find at your local Wal Mart. I'm talking about their VG10/Seki Japan series. I also just acquired their Pillar which is 100% USA with S35VN Steel. Now, I am a knife collector myself, but I use all of them. You know that knife that you spent $400 on? I use it. I don't keep it in a safe. I don't baby it. When desperate times occur (Far and few in between), I abuse 'em.

I understand the person who collects them and keeps them in their drawer, but I can't do that.

For work, I use my Benchmade Griptillian 553BS. I decided to give it a try and hang my old SOG Mini X-Ray for the time being since have been using it for 6 years now. The Benchmade has been holding up well and no complaints so far. I usually carry plain edge, but for work, I need those serrations.

Cheers to you knife users. :cheers2:
We don't need no stinking badges!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Benchmade 940-2.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

carlson1 wrote:I have a Benchmade (HK) OTF I carry from time to time. My favorite is Kershaw Knockout. I am currently on my second Kershaw Knockout. I have found I use my knife way more than I have any other tool. I am not too for sure how I have been able to make it this long without one. It was several years back when someone here on the forum mentioned he used his knife more than any other tool.
As you mentioned I use mine more than any tool daily as well besides my streamlight stylus pro

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

Absolutely love the DART-xt by doug marcaida. "It will keeeel"
'got to Texas ASAIC.

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

CRKT Ignitor. Bought one, then bought two more. So when I misplace one, I have another. Always find the original, but never go a day without one.

aero10

Post by aero10 »

I carry a Case Sod Buster Jr. I get buying nicer knives, but I just need something that cuts and won't hurt that bad when I lose it.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Kershaw Blur, good quality great knife for EDC and every bit as good as the knives that other makers fool people into spending multiple time more for EDC.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

OK, so I realize I’m opening myself up to a fair amount of potential ridicule here but the “blade” I have with me every day is a Victorinox Alox Cadet. I’ve had several over the years and I get a great deal of use out of them. Seems like I use one of the screw drivers every day. For the amount of utility they provide they are extremely thin and light. I think it weighs atbout 1.5 oz. I have a low end CRKT, SOG and Kershaw and I can appreciate a finely crafted blade but the Cadet is the knife that’s always with me.

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I carried a CRKT for almost a decade. Then I picked up a Benchmade Rift and carried that for several years. After getting a Benchmade CLA automatic as a gift I've carried that almost exclusively.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

JohnS-TX

Post by JohnS-TX »

My EDC is a SOG Flash II (assisted opening)- very well made and takes and keeps a super sharp edge. VERY happy with it.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Kershaw Random Leek 1660TGRYST

I use it every day, usually in the kitchen, wife not too crazy about for kitchen use, wants to know if it's clean.
Sure it's clean, just wiped it on my jeans!
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Return to “Off-Topic”