SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 4

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

Post by TrueFlog »

tx85 wrote:
TrueFlog wrote:According to another thread on this board, the amendment reduces the cost even further, to $15 - http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 016H21.PDF
That's not what the amendment does. It eliminates the fee for peace officers. It's still $40 for the rest of us.
My bad... I guess it's more carve outs for special interests. :grumble

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 3

Post by locke_n_load »

Guess I got bad info that it had passed a vote and was a done deal. My bad.
Tired of carve outs for cops - they have been wrong on every citizen carry bill that has passed, but the legislature still makes special exemptions for them.
Wondering who made the amendment that could possibly delay/kill the bill? R or D?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TrueFlog »

locke_n_load wrote:Guess I got bad info that it had passed a vote and was a done deal. My bad.
Tired of carve outs for cops - they have been wrong on every citizen carry bill that has passed, but the legislature still makes special exemptions for them.
Wondering who made the amendment that could possibly delay/kill the bill? R or D?
:iagree: On the very same day that the police unions are protesting the expansion of our rights, the legislature grants them even more special treatment. :oops:
The amendment was offered by my rep, Jeff Leach (R). He's strongly pro-gun, so I don't think he's trying to stall or kill it. Most likely, he's just trying to appear pro-police.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

My suspicion is that politicians dressed up as cops with an agenda are out to drive a wedge between "us" and "them". It is working.

I am beyond ticked off.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Remember folks, LEO organizations, most of which are nothing but a labor union, opposed gun-owners, but the line officers strongly support us. Consider TMPA (Texas Municipal Police Association) with its Executive Director on the Board of anti-gun Texas Gun Sense. This amendment helps the guys and gals on the street.

Chas.

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lambda Force »

I don't hear them speaking out against the LEO organizations who claim to speak for them.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Lambda Force wrote:I don't hear them speaking out against the LEO organizations who claim to speak for them.
How easy is it for them to take time off work to come testify before the committees on these bills?

Do you think they have any authority to represent their police department or their fellow officers?

How long do you think the officer would have a job if they came and testified before the legislature in person as an individual once their bosses found out they were testifying the opposite of what their chief/union/etc. said?

How many officers do you think are e-mailing their representatives behind the scenes that we don't see?

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

Lambda Force wrote:I don't hear them speaking out against the LEO organizations who claim to speak for them.
I do hear them, especially condemning the union and TMPA leadership. But they are doing it on some of the closed LEO only groups I hang out in. Many of them have been burned for speaking out in public against the leadership, so they do it in private.

The street cops are almost all in favor of unlicensed carry and good citizens doing what is necessary to defend themselves. To quote one of them I saw this afternoon, "Criminals dont give a flip about licensing anyway."
Steve Rothstein

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I agree that front line grunts are in support of "us" and unlicensed carry, for the most part. Problem is that the vast landscape of the LE "leadership" has been hijacked by political leftist hacks, and that is not just my hypothetical unsubstantiated claim. This information is widely known to those on the inside and out so to speak.

Now, the rhetorical question is; how could they have infiltrated so deep to do so much damage not only to us, but to their subordinates even more so (think of how many officers got thrown to the wolves for simply doing their jobs).

The answer: 8 years of Obama (I detest that name), along with Janet Napolitano, Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch. Remember, fish rots from the head down. Those traitors have caused damage that will be present for generations to come.

What us simpletons need to focus now is how best to name them and shame them, all of the ones who have breached the barricades of Constitution and Liberty, and kick their behinds out of the jobs they never deserved to have in the first place.

To the main topic here, I think that LTC reduction in fees is a positive step in advancement of 2A Right. I thank each sponsor and rep working to get this passed for their efforts.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Newspaper article this morning about SB-16 stating that this bill will "strip" millions of dollars from state education funding because of reducing LTC fees. Hmmmm, thought I paid a substantial amount in taxes that fund education/ Why should a DPS licensing program fund other state agencies? LTC fee should pay for DPS to conduct a background check and process the plastic, nothing more. The antis will grasp at any straw.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

AF-Odin wrote:Newspaper article this morning about SB-16 stating that this bill will "strip" millions of dollars from state education funding because of reducing LTC fees. Hmmmm, thought I paid a substantial amount in taxes that fund education/ Why should a DPS licensing program fund other state agencies? LTC fee should pay for DPS to conduct a background check and process the plastic, nothing more. The antis will grasp at any straw.
Can you provide a link to the article? That sounds like a bunch of bull. More fake news.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Papa_Tiger »

mojo84 wrote:
AF-Odin wrote:Newspaper article this morning about SB-16 stating that this bill will "strip" millions of dollars from state education funding because of reducing LTC fees. Hmmmm, thought I paid a substantial amount in taxes that fund education/ Why should a DPS licensing program fund other state agencies? LTC fee should pay for DPS to conduct a background check and process the plastic, nothing more. The antis will grasp at any straw.
Can you provide a link to the article? That sounds like a bunch of bull. More fake news.
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/state-- ... 1nyIk3SzJ/
From the ever unbiased Austin American Statesman -
The bill would cost the state $22 million in lost revenue over the next two years, according to the Legislative Budget Board.

State Rep. Nicole Collier, D-Fort Worth who voted against the bill, said that the money should be spent on more pressing matters like schools or child welfare. She also said that guns are being given special treatment.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

:iagree:

with what srothstein said.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

apostate

Post by apostate »

The bill would cost the state $22 million in lost revenue over the next two years, according to the Legislative Budget Board.

State Rep. Nicole Collier, D-Fort Worth who voted against the bill, said that the money should be spent on more pressing matters like schools or child welfare. She also said that guns are being given special treatment.
She is right. Guns are treated differently. There is no fee charged for a voter ID and there should be no fee for a gun ID. There is no class or test required for a voter ID either.

I got my first Texas CHL twenty years ago but more and more I'm thinking of switching to another state license, because of horse hockey like this opposition to reducing the infringements on our inalienable right to keep and bear arms.

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

The bill is not costing the State. The bill is costing the citizens. That money does not belong to the State until a fee is paid.
If you control the language, you control the debate.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”