NY Army Veteran Charged With Illegal Pistol Magazines, Faces 21 Years In Prison

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... rs-prison/
In recent news Simeon D. Mokhiber was convicted for weapons charges but it wasn’t the weapon that was the problem. It was three magazines that are not NY SAFE Act legal.
"Simeon D. Mokhiber, 41, was arrested on April 18, 2016 and given field sobriety tests for possible DUI. He was allegedly speeding as well as being DUI. He also had not been drinking, and was ultimately acquitted of that charge. But inside his vehicle- in a locked gun box- were three pistol magazines capable of firing more than 10 rounds.

Police can search a vehicle incident to arrest, according to long standing Supreme Court rulings. But the locked box is problematic, and probably should have required a search warrant, given that Mr. Mokhiber did not give them permission to search it."
Mokhiber is an Army veteran. He was a Staff Sergeant for 9 years. He was involved with OIF and after the Army he became a US Contractor before becoming a NY armed guard. He has no prior criminal record.
Facing 21 YEARS for having 2 formerly legal G17 mags.......

Liberals are fascists.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NY Army Veteran Charged With Illegal Pistol Magazines, Faces 21 Years In Prison

Post by SewTexas »

there are truly no words that can be said in polite society....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NY Army Veteran Charged With Illegal Pistol Magazines, Faces 21 Years In Prison

Post by ScottDLS »

Everyone who is stopped for any moving violation is suspected of DUI. It's all that is necessary for a search of the vehicle for drugs or seizeable assets. :mad5

Actually, he has a pretty good case to get the search thrown out, but he will spend a lot of money on lawyers and better hope they're good. I want Bobby Axelrod's lawyer from the Showtime series Billions... Or Tony Soprano's lawyer... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Bloomberg-ian/totalitarian insanity run amok.

I would love for everyone who is in bodyguard work to walk away from their liberal politician/showbiz/billionaire protect-ee as a form of protest in response to this vet's bizarre predicament, or short of that (hey, I can dream can't I?) tell them: "I can't in good conscience carry any form of weapon to help protect you. In fact, if you're attacked all I can do to defend you is get in the way of attacker. I can't use any more force than that, cuz it's like to far right wing, man...to actually do anything to fend off an attack. So, if you're attacked and I can't be fast enough for a simple body block, just like 'go with it' it'll probably just work out for the best...

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

GEEEZ. This is how we treat our veterans? They use guns everywhere in the world to keep us safe. And this is how we pay them back???? How in the world did we get to this level???? I hope he does not do time for this and he can get it stricken. Maybe he can get enough publicity and support to help fight this idiotic charge. :grumble :grumble :grumble :grumble :grumble :grumble :grumble :grumble
Just some guy's opinion.

cirus

Post by cirus »

He'd be 63 when he gets out if he doesn't die in prison. I'm 48 and there's no way I'd do 20.

rotor

Post by rotor »

We can all agree that the laws are ridiculous but that's the law where he lives and he broke it. My lefty brothers in Commiefornia wants me to mail him 30 round AR-15 mags. My response was that then I would have to support his wife while he was in prison. Liberals think these laws are great but they don't apply to them. I feel for this veteran especially since we have the ability to own as many of these mags as we want but we don't live in NY.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

They want to give this poor guy more prison time than they do murderers and most other criminals. I too hope he can escape this ridiculous charge but knowing NY liberals they seem to want to make an example of him. I wish him the best.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

This is will go all the way to the supreme court if charges are not dropped.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Abraham wrote:Bloomberg-ian/totalitarian insanity run amok.

I would love for everyone who is in bodyguard work to walk away from their liberal politician/showbiz/billionaire protect-ee as a form of protest in response to this vet's bizarre predicament, or short of that (hey, I can dream can't I?) tell them: "I can't in good conscience carry any form of weapon to help protect you. In fact, if you're attacked all I can do to defend you is get in the way of attacker. I can't use any more force than that, cuz it's like to far right wing, man...to actually do anything to fend off an attack. So, if you're attacked and I can't be fast enough for a simple body block, just like 'go with it' it'll probably just work out for the best...
Be sure to tell the clients that if they are being attacked, to poop and pee themselves. That is what police chiefs recommend as a way to discurage an attack! :thumbs2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

If I were a paid bodyguard, I'd want to do some research on the protectee before agreeing to take the job. I'd have to actually respect the person I worked for; and I have no respect for, nor am I willing to lay my life on the line for, someone whose politics say that my life isn't worth as much as the life of someone who can afford to pay for protection.

The only way to convert someone like that is to allow them to have a near death experience at the hands of a criminal with a gun. Protecting them simply permits them to remain in denial of the real world.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I want to write letters and demand the state of New York wake up, that a little sheetmetal container with a spring doesn't become a threat when the 11th round slides in. After all, I'd say, in Texas you routinely encounter people who would be guilty of felony magazine possession in New York or California. You generally don't know it, it's just a part of the landscape nobody cares about.

But then I consider our legislature's reluctance to open new turf for lawful carry and the resistance against unlicensed carry. It doesn't matter other states have no problems.

I guess the grass burrs are always nastier on our side of the fence.

We should all do what we can in our individual lives to lead by example. Starting today, make sure everyone you encounter is in the presence of New York felonies, a grin, and a kind word well taken from a stranger.

And pray New York comes to its senses in time to save that vet.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Where can I get my pre-1981 AR-15 auto-sears that used to advertised in Shotgun News? Or was that the ATF advertising those to trap unwary 17 year olds?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I'm sure traps happen, but this story is probably typical of gun control. Nobody pounded on that vet's door to take his magazines, the state just made them illegal and waited. Probably like other cases, the magazines were discovered as part of a far lesser suspicion, using New York's definition. The felony magazines aren't a mass problem, they are isolated prosecutions.

Which means it's probably true I won't give up my guns until they pry my cold, dead hands off of them. Nobody is going to stage a mass confiscation. They aren't going to pry everybody's cold, dead hands off all their guns, just one citizen at a time.

When confiscatory laws are passed, we all have to be patient and wait our turn.

Oh, and note to political missionaries from needlessly authoritarian states - the ACLU warns Texas is not a nice place. Just looking out for your best interests. :mrgreen:

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Maybe we should start a campaign to mail 30rd mags to all the reps in Ny congress, if just possessing one is illegal then wouldnt they all face charges also?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Return to “Off-Topic”