Searching for a new home base.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 4

Searching for a new home base.

Post by TexasTornado »

I've been applying to jobs recently and it seems most of the bites are in the Irving area (two interviews next week). I can commute for a little while, but ideally would like to move by year end.

I prefer a small town feel: grass, trees, and lot sizes larger than postage stamps.

Maximum commute to Irving or Dallas 45 minutes with traffic.

With that said, does anyone have advice on areas I should be looking in?
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Searching for a new home base.

Post by Greybeard »

" I prefer a small town feel: grass, trees, and lot sizes larger than postage stamps.

Maximum commute to Irving or Dallas 45 minutes with traffic. "

That's just what we wanted too - and found it. In in Flower Mound. But that was well over 30 years ago. Such is a pretty tall order these days - unless ya want to leave around 5:30 to get ahead of traffic.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

I know I'm looking for a unicorn lol! I grew up in Plano, then moved out to Sherman. I'm spoiled by the country but need the convenience of the city for work.

I don't suppose there's 5-10 acres hanging around in Carrollton or Farmers Branch? (For less than the cost of the entire Cowboys starting line up.)
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

The Town of Copper Canyon (near our private range) consists of some areas you might want to consider. It is sandwiched between Highland Village and Lantana, now comprised of over 10,000 people in cookie cutter houses on those postage stamp lots. And yes, you would be dreaming on the drive time.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

You're moving from the Sherman area to Irving and want to keep the space and country feel? I hope you can find it, but I think that's a tall order just from looking at maps... I wish you luck on your mission!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Town of Hickory Creek is nice, growing, but still small town feel. Just north of Lewisville on I35E - one of the lake cities
NRA Life Member

Mysguidednlv

Post by Mysguidednlv »

Yeah, you would have LOVED Argyle 15 years ago... still beautiful, but it's getting more crowded by the day. And that commute is definitely gonna be longer.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The problem with a city like Irving, is that it is surrounded on all sides by other cities that were once bedroom communities, but have now grown to be an unrecognizable mishmash, that is now the reality of the DFW metroplex. As a result, property values are unreal and priced out of a lot of people's price range.

Your 45 minute commute time, is doable from a lot of places, but only at certain times of the day. Some drive times would limit you to less than 10 miles from work.

After choosing your job, I would suggest driving to various locations, during your normal commute time, and find the one you feel you can tolerate best.
Unfortunately, finding a large segment of land, will probably mean driving a lot further.
I live in Johnson County and if I leave early enough in the morning, I can get to Irving in less than an hour. But if I try it after 7 am it can almost double.

Irving is serviced by the DART public transportation system, which, in my experience is clean and safe. You can also carry on any trains and busses. That may increase your overall commute time, but could allow you to live further out and utelize park and ride lots.

These are just suggestions, and if you are planning on buying property, don't be in a rush. I would wait until I was sure my job was where I would stay for a while, so that I wasn't stuck in one place that was perfect for one job, but would be a nightmare to have to drive to another.

Good luck, I'm sure there are members here who can give you more specific advice regarding various areas.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I live and work in Irving. There are a few large lot homes in south Irving (1/2 to 1 acre) but they are very few. Shady grove and story area
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

Thank you all. I will make a day trip and do some exploring in the next few weeks. From the sound of it though, I may just have to get used to spending a lot of time on the road. Good thing I love my truck.

NRA Lifetime Member

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

Try Mansfield/Rendon area as we have a great Private Range Arlington Sportsman Club. You can look at Venus, Midolithian, Waxahatchie as well.

stroo

Post by stroo »

Coppell sort of has a small town feel to it but the lots are mostly postage stamp size.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I know my co-worker drives from Cleburne to Plano 5 days a week. He's been working here for almost 18 years.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Bristol. NE Ellis Co. and unincorporated. Population around 600+. Had the general store not put up 30.06 & .07 signs (invalid size) I could recommend the sushi.

https://m.facebook.com/bristol.vfd

:txflag:
:thewave

Return to “Off-Topic”