How Concealed do You have to be at work?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How Concealed do You have to be at work?

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I practice deep concealment in my campus office (shoulder rig or belly band, under a dress shirt, and/or ankle holsters). The UPD said they don't make a big deal about printing, but there is the issue of potential backlash to reputation in this squirrely academic culture. Fortunately, it is quick and easy to access and draw through a partially unbuttoned dress shirt, under a tie.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

Not only to I have to conceal at work, I can't ever tell anyone that I am carrying. I would guess there are others at the plant that carry, but I don't know who they are. Only HR and Executives know who has been given permission, and who has not. We have a pretty restrictive policy, but hey, at least we can carry!
Do what you say you're gonna do.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OneGun »

My employer says our gun free zone policies will keep us safe. An employee can be terminated if caught with a gun. The office manager offered our receptionist a baseball bat to keep under her desk, just in case someone can't read.

I am totally protected! :banghead:
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

We’ve got a new breed taking over corporate. The old guard managed to get the employee handbook changed from terminated for carrying a “weapon” to carrying an “illegal weapon,” just before they left. I’m in a building full of “reporters” most of whom would probably pass out if they knew I was carrying. I’m sure most of them would try to make an issue of it, and I’m not sure where the new leadership of the company would come down.
To complicate matters even further, we moved to a building about a block away from the old building. The old building was about ten yards from the State line on the Texas side. The new building is about ten yards into Arkansas, so any sign is valid, and there is no parking lot law. For now I’m legal and most probably wouldn’t get fired. But I don’t want to let it become an issue so, “concealed is concealed.”

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

OneGun wrote:My employer says our gun free zone policies will keep us safe. An employee can be terminated if caught with a gun. The office manager offered our receptionist a baseball bat to keep under her desk, just in case someone can't read.

So do y'all have security monitors instead of guards?

Sorry I had to :biggrinjester:

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

cmgee67 wrote:
OneGun wrote:My employer says our gun free zone policies will keep us safe. An employee can be terminated if caught with a gun. The office manager offered our receptionist a baseball bat to keep under her desk, just in case someone can't read.

Isn't that UPS philosophy?

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Ask the office manager how well those baseball bats worked out for the congressmen who got shot this week? :banghead:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

As concealed as I wish to be. I've open carried in work uniform as well as concealed. Only time I can't carry is when I go to a restricted place. Generally I'm carrying concealed or just have it in my truck depending on what I'm doing. Sometimes its in the truck then I put it on concealed when exiting the truck for an extended period of time such as lunch, or fueling and showering. No corporate bull here but I never open carry into a customers business, no need to risk losing business when I can just cover up and go about. If I think its going to show while concealing and working I'll leave it off or change my conceal method. Again no need to risk losing business by running afoul of someone's "feelings" or their company policy.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

This is a tricky, delicate issue for me.

Company policy is clear. On company property or in company vehicles, thou shalt remain humble and defenseless before thy aggressors, even as they trespass against you.

But I'm a teleworker, and that's where it gets sticky.

I've actually considered a shoulder holster because of my special situation.

My gun belt is very uncomfortable with my pajamas and I have no house shoes with matching fake fur.

Hot cocoa, anyone? Just as soon as I finish disambiguating these finite state tables I'm going to put some on. Got a virtual Moore machine that's not quite cooperating, but it will just take a moment.

One marshmallow or two?

comp73

Post by comp73 »

Deep concealment with printing at your own risk.

Technically, my company has no policy on firearms in the handbook. That being said, my company was bought by a private equity firm that has 2 corporate offices, 1 in LA, the other in London. The first thing they did was bring in a new executive team from, you guessed it, Commiefornia. I know my manager and director don't have an issue with it, but it's more of a "Don't ask, Don't tell" situation than an official endorsement. I'm fairly certain that if an official complaint to HR about me carrying was ever brought up, then the executives would find a way to show me the door.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

It depends, my employing office is in the old deep south there is no restriction in the handbook. That being said I have never set foot in a corporate office. I work in the field I carry concealed at all times because the element of surprise is invaluable.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Lynyrd wrote:

Ask the office manager how well those baseball bats worked out for the congressmen who got shot this week? :banghead:
Office Manager is a Democrat. Why bother to ask? :deadhorse:

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

cmgee67 wrote:

The security monitors sit 42 floors below the office. By the time they ride the elevator banks up, have to change elevators on 24th floor, they can call the homicide investigators.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

cmgee67 wrote:How well concleaed must you be at your place of employment if carry is allowed? Where I work I must stay concealed 100% of the time. Printing is not an issue but the gun must stay concealed. The occasional shirt coming up and what not when bending over or reaching up or the adjustment of the pants is fine but basically my employer does not want customers to see the firearm. I totally understand that rule and happily abide by it.
Worked at my company for 19 years so far. Carry is prohibited by policy.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

VoodooSan

Post by VoodooSan »

txglock21 wrote:This is a sore subject for me. I work for a city government, so they are not allowed to post signs restricting carrying, but they can restrict their employees from it, which they do! So in other words, Any "Joe LTC" can walk right into my office with theirs, but I can't in my own office. (Legally I can, but can be fired for it!) :banghead: Just 6 more years and I will have my 30 and will be retiring. :clapping: :woohoo
Same I work for a city gov as well.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”