The time OC may have deterred crime

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

The time OC may have deterred crime

Post by cmgee67 »

I've never told this story but thought you guys and gals would like to hear it. I was at a gas station and I pulled up to the front door and was about to run inside and grab a drink when I noticed a man sitting at a table by the front door. Everytime somebody would walk by he would stand up and follow them asking for money when they told him no he would get very agitated and go and sit back down and throw a fit. He obviously wasn't right in the head as he was talking to himself and shaking and moving a lot. He also was carrying a big walking stick and limping I guess to get sympathy. I got out of my truck and start walking inside when he saw me and got up and as soon as my weapon side cleared my truck and it came into view he screamed several cuss words at me and took off running! Yes running! That walking stick was just a sympathy card he ran faster than I can. I have been OC every weekend and most week nights since Day 1 and that is the only experience I have had where somebody reacted. Nobody ever notices and if they do they don't say anything.

Carry on!

VoodooSan

Re: The time OC may have deterred crime

Post by VoodooSan »

A few years back (well before OC) I had just finished pumping gas and a this really suspicious guy started approaching me. He was asking for money and when I said I didnt have any (and that was the truth) he started to approach me. I could tell something was wrong. I began backing up and I put my hand on the but of my gun to draw it and he stopped cold. I said very calmly but loudly for him to stop moving and put my off hand out it a stop gesture. I just said "Stop, Stop, Stop!" He left I called 911 and reported it. I didnt draw or expose my gun but I could tell he saw me reach back and he knew what I reached for.

Panhandling is a dangerous thing. I dont like it and I do not give money out to people on the street. I will donate to a local charity but letting people approach my window is a no-go...unless you are a fireman. I know there are people that really need help. But I have seen someone beg for money and get in and walk in and buy alcohol. I know not everyone is like that but for me its a safety issue.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

VoodooSan wrote:Panhandling is a dangerous thing. I dont like it and I do not give money out to people on the street. I will donate to a local charity but letting people approach my window is a no-go...unless you are a fireman. I know there are people that really need help. But I have seen someone beg for money and get in and walk in and buy alcohol. I know not everyone is like that but for me its a safety issue.
As a personal rule, I don't give them money. I will give them bottled water or give them food instead.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Panhandleing is dangerous I agree. I have told a few to get away and my dad has also when I was younger. You can never be too careful. You also have to becareful at gas stations. One guy can be a decoy while another opens your car door and steals whatever is there or worse comes from behind and harms you or a loved one. That's why when I pump gas I always lock my door especially if my wife is with me and instruct her to stay in the car and be very vigilant

VoodooSan

Post by VoodooSan »

Flightmare wrote:
VoodooSan wrote:Panhandling is a dangerous thing. I dont like it and I do not give money out to people on the street. I will donate to a local charity but letting people approach my window is a no-go...unless you are a fireman. I know there are people that really need help. But I have seen someone beg for money and get in and walk in and buy alcohol. I know not everyone is like that but for me its a safety issue.
As a personal rule, I don't give them money. I will give them bottled water or give them food instead.
Yes exactly. Great point indeed. I will offered to go buy food and bring it to them. If you are truly hungry you wont turn that down unless you are faking it, IMHO

VoodooSan

Post by VoodooSan »

cmgee67 wrote:Panhandleing is dangerous I agree. I have told a few to get away and my dad has also when I was younger. You can never be too careful. You also have to becareful at gas stations. One guy can be a decoy while another opens your car door and steals whatever is there or worse comes from behind and harms you or a loved one. That's why when I pump gas I always lock my door especially if my wife is with me and instruct her to stay in the car and be very vigilant

:iagree:

John Galt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by John Galt »

I once heard (on the radio) that panhandling is the second job of some of these people.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

VoodooSan wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
Yes exactly. Great point indeed. I will offered to go buy food and bring it to them. If you are truly hungry you wont turn that down unless you are faking it, IMHO
I used to prepare and bring food to some of the area homeless people once a week. It was rare that any asked me for money. They were happy to have something to eat and something cool to drink.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

BeanCounter

Post by BeanCounter »

I stopped for gas in Dallas late one night and had a “panhandler” magically appear from behind a gas pump maybe 4 feet away.
I had just picked up the gas nozzle when he started his “hey man…blah blah blah” I said no… but he kept getting closer and closer so I shifted the nozzle to my left hand and pointed it towards him and flipped on the pump. He appeared to be on something and was extremely agitated. He finally noticed the nozzle directed at his face and that my right hand was now under my shirt. He ran and his accomplice that was sneaking up behind me. Sometime a sad story from a panhandler is just a decoy….
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

BeanCounter wrote:I stopped for gas in Dallas late one night and had a “panhandler” magically appear from behind a gas pump maybe 4 feet away.
I had just picked up the gas nozzle when he started his “hey man…blah blah blah” I said no… but he kept getting closer and closer so I shifted the nozzle to my left hand and pointed it towards him and flipped on the pump. He appeared to be on something and was extremely agitated. He finally noticed the nozzle directed at his face and that my right hand was now under my shirt. He ran and his accomplice that was sneaking up behind me. Sometime a sad story from a panhandler is just a decoy….
Glad your ok. That could have turned out bad

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

A couple years ago i used to go to Los Angeles every week for business. I filled up my rental car at the same gas station near LAX every week. Several times a guy came up with a gas can begging for a few gallons. I guess the homeless in LA live in their cars. :???: I never did see the car, but after a couple months and maybe 5 times of this guy, I said "Don't you recognize me? Almost every week I come here and you always ask me for gas. Sometimes I give you some. What do you do with all that gas? Do you have a generator at your hobo camp?" He just looked at me like I was from Mars...and asked the next guy. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”