Bolt Carrier Group can't decide.

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
fernando1027
Posts in topic: 1

Bolt Carrier Group can't decide.

Post by fernando1027 »

So I am building my first ar-15 almost a full built but the thing is the bcg is holding the build cause i can't not decide on brands spikes, f1 firearms or bcm.

please help :D ... Thanks.

I do not know if i put it on the right forum please move if so

jimd1981

Re: Bolt Carrier Group can't decide.

Post by jimd1981 »

At the risk of causing heartburn for any particular fanbase... ;-)

Any of those will work fine, really. Price/Availability would be my guide here.
Also, I've exactly one Nickle Boron (NiB) BCG, and it performs just as well as my others. Take that as you will.

Good luck on your build!

Edited to add: Didn't help decide, did I? Sorry! Get the Spikes. :biggrinjester:

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I love my BCM! But I haven't tried the others.
Ron
NRA Member

PitBoss

Post by PitBoss »

Throwing a couple more in the mix...

This is what I run on my 300Blk AR pistol:
http://www.voodooinnovations.com/vdi-li ... rier-group

And on my Sig AR rifle:
https://www.odinworks.com/223_BCG_p/acc-223-bcg.htm

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Decide on your requirements / relevant specifications for your application, then determine which manufacturer's assembly meets your needs. This might help get you started:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

I'm running one from Battle Rifle Company - https://www.battleriflecompany.com/stor ... d=15&cid=3

I live down the street from the shop and stopped by and the guy behind the counter sold me on basically a money back guarantee - don't know that's the normal policy but I have been extremely happy with it, no regrets.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The primary benefit to NiB or NiPh plating that I've noticed is that cleanup is easier. The parts basically just wipe clean because the fouling isn't stuck to or burned onto the part. It just wipes right off. I haven't noticed whether or not function is measurably improved, but I suspect that is because I keep my BCG' and receivers properly lubed, and I haven't yet fired enough rounds between cleanings to cause the gun to fail. So for me, the primary benefit has been ease of cleaning. That said.... I've gotten really bad lately about cleaning, and so my round count between cleanings is higher than it used to be, so maybe it means something. OTH, my non-plated BCGs are also still good to go. Who knows? One of those non-plated BCGs is in a gas-piston gun, which runs a lot cleaner anyway. Fouling inside three of my four receivers is due primarily to running suppressed. The one AR I have that is not yet set to accept a suppressor, is a standard M4 profile carbine length DI system. The BCG in that carbine is from Daniel Defense, is non-plated, and seems to work just fine.

So make of that what you will. I think that, ease of cleaning aside, the reliability benefit is probably overstated as long as you properly maintain your firearm. I also think that the reason most people pay extra for plating is because it looks cool. In other words, unless your an oper8tor, oper8ting oper8tionally all the time, it probably has exactly the same benefit/value as a FDE paint job......not that there is anything wrong with that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jason812

Post by jason812 »

These guys have everything from a $80 bcg to over $200. I have one of their nitride bcg's and it appears to be well made. I also have a Fail Zero bcg and other than the ease of cleaning, I can't tell a difference in how the rifle works when the gun goes boom. The fancy coatings definitely make cleaning easier.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx ... ier+Groups
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The primary benefit to NiB or NiPh plating that I've noticed is that cleanup is easier. The parts basically just wipe clean because the fouling isn't stuck to or burned onto the part. It just wipes right off. I haven't noticed whether or not function is measurably improved, but I suspect that is because I keep my BCG' and receivers properly lubed, and I haven't yet fired enough rounds between cleanings to cause the gun to fail. So for me, the primary benefit has been ease of cleaning. That said.... I've gotten really bad lately about cleaning, and so my round count between cleanings is higher than it used to be, so maybe it means something. OTH, my non-plated BCGs are also still good to go. Who knows? One of those non-plated BCGs is in a gas-piston gun, which runs a lot cleaner anyway. Fouling inside three of my four receivers is due primarily to running suppressed. The one AR I have that is not yet set to accept a suppressor, is a standard M4 profile carbine length DI system. The BCG in that carbine is from Daniel Defense, is non-plated, and seems to work just fine.

So make of that what you will. I think that, ease of cleaning aside, the reliability benefit is probably overstated as long as you properly maintain your firearm. I also think that the reason most people pay extra for plating is because it looks cool. In other words, unless your an oper8tor, oper8ting oper8tionally all the time, it probably has exactly the same benefit/value as a FDE paint job......not that there is anything wrong with that.
TAM - while I won't disagree with most people who get the NiB/NiPh BCG do it for the 'Tacticool' look/effect - there is something to be said about a BCG that will run longer with less cleaning needed less often and with less or almost no lubricant. Plus as stated, easier clean up when it does need cleaning. I figure the scenario where I pull out my rifle and start using it defensively instead of the gun range, will probably be a situation where cleaning every 200 rounds or so may not be feasible/practical - ya know, zombie apocalypse or such.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Weg

Post by Weg »

In the last 3 builds I did I used Fail 0's, I shoot almost exclusively suppressed and they clean up way easier than standard BCG's . I just ordered 2 more for a couple new builds I am doing, they were 129.00 from the manufacturer.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Can any of you recommend a specific brand/model of the easiest to clean BCG? Assuming there is such a critter..

The BCGs I run in my Colt LE6920's (even lubing with Fire Clean) are a pain to clean.

The Annoyed Man

Abraham wrote:Can any of you recommend a specific brand/model of the easiest to clean BCG? Assuming there is such a critter..

The BCGs I run in my Colt LE6920's (even lubing with Fire Clean) are a pain to clean.
Any brand where the BCG is Nickel-Boron or Nickel-Phosphate plated will be ridiculously easy to clean. Chrome plated BCGs also clean up easily.

My DMR has a Smith Enterprises M16 Chrome Match Bolt Carrier. To that bolt carrier, I added a Leitner-Wise upper receiver service package, which included a Nickel-Boron plated bolt, cam pin, and pre-1967 design solid firing pin retaining pin, and a firing pin. The bolt carrier cost me about $160 at the time. The Leitner-Wise kit was about $95 at the time.

The NiPh BCG I have is one that was custom-plated for me as part of an experiment that AndyC and I did with a local business that does NiPh plating of drill heads and other tooling for the petroleum industry. It was done for free.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

As TAM said above the Nickel-Boron BCG are easy to clean. They almost feel as if they already have lube on them. I have two Spikes that are Nickel-Boron and a Fail Zero that is Nickel-Boron and they all seem to work fine.

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

Most AR guys will tell you that the BCG is the heart of the gun, and to cut costs elsewhere. Looks like you have narrowed it down to 3 high quality groups, any if which should make for a strong heart. Personally a fan of all things BCM.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

The Annoyed Man

SpringerFan wrote:Most AR guys will tell you that the BCG is the heart of the gun, and to cut costs elsewhere. Looks like you have narrowed it down to 3 high quality groups, any if which should make for a strong heart. Personally a fan of all things BCM.
I would add the barrel..... BCG and barrel are the heart of the gun.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”