Waco food suggestions?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Waco food suggestions?

Post by cmgee67 »

The wife and I will be going to Waco soon for a weekend trip. She wants to go to the magnolia market. We want to go some place very nice one of the evenings. Suggestions?

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Waco food suggestions?

Post by Jusme »

Mrs. Jusme and I always stop at Buzzard Billy's on the river, across from the new stadium. The food is good, or at least it has been every time we have been there, sit out on the back patio, over the water and you can feed fish, and ducks. It's laid back, with a lot of menu options. I haven't eaten at any other places there except chain restaurants, so a native Wacoan? Wacoite? may be able to give you more options.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

We Wacoans stay away from downtown on the weekends now because of Magnolia. Be prepared fro long lines and $10 parking or remote and a shuttle.

Good eats:

Buzzard's is good still.
Xristos - super Greek/Mediterranean
Cafe Capucino - breakfast and lunch only
Cupps and/or Double-R for great local home style burgers
Portofino's - downtown Italian
MOROSO Wood Fired Pizzeria - excellent
El Conquistador for basic good TexMex
There is a food truck park downtown at Franklin & University-Parks
There are also some of the good chains, like Ninfa's, Chuy's, Rudy's, Zoe's
You'll need to check the hours, not all these places are open all day, or on Sundays.

BTW, the $5 cupcakes at the Magnolia bakery are pretty darn good.

And BTW, none are posted 30.06 last time I looked.
Last edited by oohrah on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

On a non-eating note, if you've never been to Magnolia Market be prepared for elbow to elbow crowd. Most of the merchandise is over-priced chinese manufactured stuff.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

DocV

Post by DocV »

1424 Bistro on 1424 Columbus drive. Very nice spot. Not inexpensive. Check out the menu on their home page http://www.1424bistro.com

Baris on Valley Mills Drive. Very popular Italian restaurant. Good food. Low prices. Lousy parking.

I am itching to find out about Cajun Craft on 11th street. Vietnamese Cajun fusion food. http://www.cajuncraftwaco.com/restaurant/
If you try it, post a review.

With a few exceptions, I agree with Trip Advisor http://www.cajuncraftwaco.com/restaurant/.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I think you are crazy for coming to Waco for that reason. If you're going to be there for the weekend, check out the Texas Ranger Museum to regain some man points. :biggrinjester:

I stay away from downtown, all of these are not downtown.

Buzzard Billy's is good and across 35 from the Ranger museum.
Burgers: Captain Billy Whizzbangs or Health Camp
Breakfast: Leal's - get the chili topper or maybe get it for lunch. It's a small Mexican food joint only open for breakfast and lunch. It's really hidden and might be hard to find. Caesar is a good guy.
Mexican: El Conquistador or Later Fiesta but last time I ate La Fiesta I was dissatisfied with the food. Maybe it was a fluke.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

jason812 wrote:I think you are crazy for coming to Waco for that reason. If you're going to be there for the weekend, check out the Texas Ranger Museum to regain some man points. :biggrinjester:

I stay away from downtown, all of these are not downtown.

Buzzard Billy's is good and across 35 from the Ranger museum.
Burgers: Captain Billy Whizzbangs or Health Camp
Breakfast: Leal's - get the chili topper or maybe get it for lunch. It's a small Mexican food joint only open for breakfast and lunch. It's really hidden and might be hard to find. Caesar is a good guy.
Mexican: El Conquistador or Later Fiesta but last time I ate La Fiesta I was dissatisfied with the food. Maybe it was a fluke.
That's funny. About a month ago I had to endure a weekend trip for the same reason. Cheaper than a divorce but just slightly. Holy cow that magnolia market is high priced. We did hit up the Dr Pepper Musuem and the TX Ranger Musuem. Man points still intact.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I don't know if Waco has any nice places if you're talking about nice as ritzy. It has a ton of killer restaurants though. Most are south of downtown.

Dubl r best hamburger in Waco but it could be closed late in day. Other locals may argue Kitok has a better burger. They also have more regular hours.

Viteks best bar b q in Waco. Also, could b closed late in the day.

George's is vintage Waco with a wide open menu. No weird hours to worry about.

If kids are involved, consider poppa rollos pizza. Lots of hidden rooms to explore/find while you wait for food.

Buzzard Billy's is good cajun.

I wouldn't do chain. Waco has a lot of great food you can only get in Waco.

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

+1 on Vitek's bbq. It is my favorite place in Waco.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Bruin98 wrote:
Viteks best bar b q in Waco. Also, could b closed late in the day.

George's is vintage Waco with a wide open menu. No weird hours to worry about.
I thought of Vitek's after I posted. Don't know about the bbq but a gut pack for lunch while extremely tasty will make you worthless the rest of the day. You will want to nap.

George's is good too... I'm getting hungry now
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

Gut pack every Friday after class was a standing order when I was at Baylor. It nearly kills me now, but so worth it.

lama

Post by lama »

+1 for Viteks - GutPak so good. (think fritopie on steroids)

Health Camp is a good burger and fries (though dont let the name fool you its greasy burger fries and great milkshake)

As said before George's is classic Waco (If you or your significant other like margaritas or bellinis theirs are the size of small fishbowl and I am told are quite good.)

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Buzzard Billy's was the place I took my first date, now my wife, 'bout 19yrs ago. She still hates me for it.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

Drive north a bit and stop by czech bakery/czech stop! 24hrs and great kolaches mmmmmm

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

DocV wrote:1424 Bistro on 1424 Columbus drive. Very nice spot. Not inexpensive. Check out the menu on their home page http://www.1424bistro.com

Baris on Valley Mills Drive. Very popular Italian restaurant. Good food. Low prices. Lousy parking.

I am itching to find out about Cajun Craft on 11th street. Vietnamese Cajun fusion food. http://www.cajuncraftwaco.com/restaurant/
If you try it, post a review.

With a few exceptions, I agree with Trip Advisor http://www.cajuncraftwaco.com/restaurant/.
:thumbs2: I'll check them out on my next trip to Waco!
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”