How to get rid of old ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

How to get rid of old ammo

Post by Crash »

an older fellow, a friend of mine has a bunch of ammo up in his attic that's been there for 20 years through heat and cold. I'm pretty sure it would be dangerous to use it, so how do you get rid of it safely.

Appreciate any help,

Crash

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to get rid of old ammo

Post by Flightmare »

Do the cases look damaged or corroded?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I have plenty of milsurp ammo that has suffered heat and cold for more than 20 years. I all still fires. May have lost a few FPS, but still is reasonably accurate and safe to fire. heat and cold are NOT your enemy. WATER is your enemy.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

If it's not corroded and not sitting in oil its good. If you want to dispose of it you can give it to a Volunteer Firedepartment. for training. You can also pull the bullet with a pair of pliers and pour the powder down the drain
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Liberty wrote:If it's not corroded and not sitting in oil its good. If you want to dispose of it you can give it to a Volunteer Firedepartment. for training. You can also pull the bullet with a pair of pliers and pour the powder down the drain
:biggrinjester: :mrgreen: Poor exploding fishies ....... Is sewer gas explosive too? :smilelol5:

I take it to the local Police dept to donate to use for their range practice in case they don't practice often due to budget/ cost of ammo so they don't end up like New York PD shooting 5 bystanders to try to hit 1 bad guy.

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

Crash wrote:an older fellow, a friend of mine has a bunch of ammo up in his attic that's been there for 20 years through heat and cold. I'm pretty sure it would be dangerous to use it,...
Why is old ammo dangerous? I'll take a stab at answering my own question.

The most likely problem is a squib that doesn't clear the barrel when fired, right? A careless follow up to a squib blocked barrel could cause the gun to explode.

If the brass is weak, it may fail when fired allowing the charge to leak in unintended directions. Is that a problem even if the brass is supported all the way around while contained in the chamber? I guess the brass might change shape enough to get stuck and fail to eject.

If those are my only primary concerns, visual round inspection and slow shooting should allow some test firing.

Yes, no, quit?

Acronym 08/06/2017 08:36:16

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

Please forgive my pragmatism.

I've never seen a box of ammunition with an expiration date.
Also, some of my hunting ammo was loaded in 1980. Never had a problem.
Happy Trails!
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Liberty wrote:If it's not corroded and not sitting in oil its good. If you want to dispose of it you can give it to a Volunteer Firedepartment. for training. You can also pull the bullet with a pair of pliers and pour the powder down the drain
Twenty year old factory ammo isn't really that old and will probably shoot fine.
I used to shoot a lot of WWII surplus ammo and never had a problem.
If you decide to pull the bullets gun powder contains toxic compounds.
I would burn the powder rather than throwing it down the drain.
NRA Endowment Member

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I shot several boxes of 357 mag. bullets through my revolver this year that were about 35 years old with no problems at all. However ,they were stored inside the air conditioned house that whole time.

ELB

Post by ELB »

If you gave to my VFD for "training" we would probably just take it to the range and "train" with it.

Unless it was reloaded/handloaded ammo. Would not trust that, but not because of the age.

I don't believe hot and cold in an attic would really affect it.

(For that matter, I don't think soaking it oil would either - have deliberately done that and even the cheapest budget ammo (with presumably the least QC) fired just fine after wiping it off altho it did leave a little blue smoke behind).
USAF 1982-2005

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

If you're in Houston I'll come by and pick it up. I will have a tedious task of going round and round. Any bad rounds I'll take to the local police department for disposal .
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I have factory ammo that is over 50 years old, some was kept in non-climate controlled storage and some .22 LR was even submerged for a couple of days during Allison. Even the .22LR still shoots fine. Military ammo is exposed to all sorts of conditions and I have manufacture dates as far back as the 1950's. As some others have stated if the cases are not damaged corroded it's probably fine to shoot.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

While I agree with most of the posters that it’s probably OK to shoot I believe your original question was how to get rid of it so I’ll only address that. Besides the earlier mentioned options, I think most LGS will take it (I know Carter’s Country will). I know my FFL will take it as well.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

:fire :fire :fire :fire :fire
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”