Remington 870 HELP

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Remington 870 HELP

Post by cmgee67 »

I have owned my 870 express super mag going on 11 years and in the last year I've noticed a a problem with the shell lifter. For the first ten years you could load 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 shells in it no problem. But last year I noticed that it was having trouble loading the 3 1/2's. I would have to finagle the shell a second and then it would shoot up into the magazine no problem. I was thinking maybe the magazine spring was binding for a second so I replaced it as well as the follower. I got it out today to inspect it since dove and duck/goose season is around the corner and decided I was gonna figure out what it was doing well I did. I grabbed my grandpas 870 and compared loading the 3 1/2 in both and my shell lifter goes in too far bottoming out on the bolt so the edge of the shell hits the lip of the mag tub in the receiver. That's why I was having to finagle the shell up and down to get it to go in. So sure enough I didn't depress the shell lifter all the way like I had been and it shot right in. So my question is can I just take out the lifter and bend it? Or should I contact Remington. This is not my primary shot gun for hunting but it's my back up in case my benelli goes down. This 870 has had prob 20k shells through it in the past 11 years so it's well broken in.

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Remington 870 HELP

Post by LeonCarr »

Replace the Carrier Dog Follower Spring with an 870 Police Heavy Duty Carrier Dog Follower Spring, which is the same as the Remington 1100 Carrier Latch Spring:

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... 10763.aspx

This should help your lifter stay up longer to help reliability with the longer shells.

Disclaimer: I am not a Gunsmith or Certified Remington 870 Armorer. If you aren't either, consult a Gunsmith or Certified Remington 870 Armorer :rules: .

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Watched the video and ordered the part needed thanks!

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LeonCarr »

Good, I had the video posted but it was blank and did not know if it was viewable or not so I took it off :).

The guy behind AI&P Tactical, J.D. McGuire, is a Remington 870 Factory Certified Armorer, knows his stuff, and makes a really good video.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Yes he does. Super easy to understand and I like how he used common tools the common man has

HadEmAll
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HadEmAll »

On a Q&A on that part someone asks if this is the same spring used in the 870 Police, and Brownell says no.

Another person, who sounds like they know what they are talking about, says yes, and convinced me. I'm ordering one for my 870 Express today, and what the heck, another for my 1100.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”