DO WE NEED TO REPLACE CHL100 WITH LTC 100?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BAW254
Posts in topic: 2

DO WE NEED TO REPLACE CHL100 WITH LTC 100?

Post by BAW254 »

Hello fellow instructors :txflag:

I have quite a few students who took my CHL/ LTC class earlier this year and last year. They did not submitted their application through DPS beacuse they chose to wait and do it after September 1st. I can't find the email from DPS about the new LTC 100 forms replacing the CHL 100. My question is, will they accept the older CHL100 dated prior to September 1st? Or do I need to replace those CHL100s with LTC100s so they do not have any issues.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DO WE NEED TO REPLACE CHL100 WITH LTC 100?

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

goheeled

Post by goheeled »

DPS made it clear in yesterday's Instructor Renewal class that LTC-100s are only for classes held after 9/1/2017. CHL-100 forms are for classes held prior to that, no matter when the student gets around to applying.

Rod Townsend
Go Heeled Firearms Training
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Training Counselor & Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
BAW254

Post by BAW254 »

Awesome.

Thank you for the help. :tiphat:

switch

Post by switch »

Actually, I think the cutoff date for using LTC-100's was 7/27??? Don't remember the exact date. We are able to use them NOW. But, the email was clear, it only applied to classes HELD after that date. Remember, the CHL-100's are good for 2 years.
Actually, there was not a lot that really changed. I bet they will not even catch it if you accidentally grabbed the wrong form and used a CHL-100 after the cutoff date. If they did catch it, bounce it, it would be simple to re-issue a LTC-100.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

switch wrote:Actually, I think the cutoff date for using LTC-100's was 7/27??? Don't remember the exact date. We are able to use them NOW. But, the email was clear, it only applied to classes HELD after that date. Remember, the CHL-100's are good for 2 years.
Actually, there was not a lot that really changed. I bet they will not even catch it if you accidentally grabbed the wrong form and used a CHL-100 after the cutoff date. If they did catch it, bounce it, it would be simple to re-issue a LTC-100.
In class Monday the admin people stated any CHL-100 dated before 9/1/2017 would be honored for the two-year period. Any CHL-100 dated 9/1 or after would be rejected.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

rkeller

Post by rkeller »

Just got an email from two of my students. They took my class 4/15/2017 and just finally got around to applying for their licenses. Naturally their graduation certificates were CHL-100s (not LTC-100 since it did not exist yet). Apparently DPS rejected their graduation certificates because it was not on the right form.
The best way to survive a gun fight is to be somewhere else. If the you cannot be somewhere else, then have a gun. -Clint Smith (and probably others)

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I have had a few that did just that and they had no problem. I would tell them to call the number at the bottom of the DPS handgun website. this must be new or a mistake but I would bet on the mistake. The number would also be on the rejection letter.
Last edited by twomillenium on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

i thought i read somewhere that if you had a CHL, after OC passed you could carry OC... i remeber erading that somewhere.... i could be wrong tho.
NRA Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Grundy1133 wrote:i thought i read somewhere that if you had a CHL, after OC passed you could carry OC... i remeber erading that somewhere.... i could be wrong tho.
Not sure what you are asking. This discussion is about new applicants and the CHL-100 class certification form still being valid for certification from before the change to LTC-100 form.

As for open carry, anyone with a valid CHL/LTC can carry openly per the law.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Keith B wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:i thought i read somewhere that if you had a CHL, after OC passed you could carry OC... i remeber erading that somewhere.... i could be wrong tho.
Not sure what you are asking. This discussion is about new applicants and the CHL-100 class certification form still being valid for certification from before the change to LTC-100 form.

As for open carry, anyone with a valid CHL/LTC can carry openly per the law.
ooh i gotcha. i thought it was for peope who still have the old CHL... i gotcha. i misunderstood.
NRA Member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”