ER nurse illegally detained?

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
aaangel
Posts in topic: 10

ER nurse illegally detained?

Post by aaangel »

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/09/01/nurs ... E.facebook

im sure you've seen this viral video on social media. To all ems workers and leo's, id like to hear your take on this. from watching the whole thing, this could have been handled much different! Also, as some of you know i work in the ER. so you already know which side im on. but why was she arrested? was she obstructing justice?
Last edited by aaangel on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ER nurse arrested???

Post by twomillenium »

From what I see by the video, I hope the officer has enough years to retire. If he does, then he should be told to do so immediately. If he doesn't, maybe he should find another line of work. There is no room for an officer who thinks he is above the law and the rules do not apply to him.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

She wasn't arrested. She was set in the patrol car for about 20 minutes and "let go without charges." She may not have been arrested, but I do believe she was illegally detained.

Someone should be looking for employment.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

The arresting detective has been suspended from blood draw duty. I'm wondering why he's not suspended from duty period. I'm not a lawyer, but I can't think of a legal tenet that would give a police officer the ability to force a hospital to draw blood and provide it as evidence on the VICTIM of an accident, if there's no consent, no warrant and no arrest and enforce it with threat of arrest for refusing. I hope we haven't reached that point! The latest news release I read said no law suit has been filed, but the nurse has a lawyer. Just a matter of time IMHNALO.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
aaangel

Post by aaangel »

our ER only does blood draws on arrested individuals suspected of DWI.(btw this weekend is no refusal, so be safe out there) We have a great rapport with GPPD with them knowing as part of the community we do it as a service to them and they are very appreciative of it! same thing when we need them in our ER, they are there!

ps. i updated the title. thanks Carl :tiphat:
'got to Texas ASAIC.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote:She wasn't arrested. She was set in the patrol car for about 20 minutes and "let go without charges." She may not have been arrested, but I do believe she was illegally detained.

Someone should be looking for employment.
I have to differ with that. Immediately after the person on the phone says "your making a huge mistake Payne goes off on her "no, we're done, we're done, you're under arrest" after which he grabs her, restrains her and cuffs her. In my book that pretty much looks like an arrest! :lol:

thatguyoverthere

Re: ER nurse illegally detained?

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I'm always curious in situations like this: what would have been the outcome if there was no video? What if it were just an old fashioned "he said/she said." That's just a rhetorical question, BTW. I'm pretty confident of what the outcome would have been without video.

I just don't understand why this kind of stuff (police misconduct) seems to keep happening over and over and over. Yes, I know there are thousands of police/citizen interactions every day that are done correctly, with courtesy and professionalism. Yet, we continue to see these kinds of events frequently. Why? Lack of training? Lack of pride in professionalism? Habit because they get away with this kind of behavior most of the time? Stress? Emotional fatigue from dealing with certain types of people so often?

Maybe what we really need is an unbiased, in-depth study to find out the root causes of why this kind of thing happens. Maybe if we knew WHY, then maybe we could fix the problem. Because this is definitely a problem, IMHO.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

aaangel wrote:our ER only does blood draws on arrested individuals suspected of DWI.(btw this weekend is no refusal, so be safe out there) We have a great rapport with GPPD with them knowing as part of the community we do it as a service to them and they are very appreciative of it! same thing when we need them in our ER, they are there!

ps. i updated the title. thanks Carl :tiphat:
The person they wanted blood from was a truck driver (and off duty LEO) who was a victim. What need was there for his blood to be drawn for police use?
He was head-oned by a guy fleeing police. I police stated there was implied consent which is not true under the law.

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

I keep deleting my draft replies.

I will say it would take more than the chief of police's apology to mollify me, were I that nurse.

The law is squirrelly enough that for all I know it may be true that the cop could legally demand a blood draw from an unconscious unconsenting "victim" without a warrant, but if not, he should be facing assault charges, and the other cops with him should be disciplined for not intervening.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
aaangel

Post by aaangel »

[/quote]
I have to differ with that. Immediately after the person on the phone says "your making a huge mistake Payne goes off on her "no, we're done, we're done, you're under arrest" after which he grabs her, restrains her and cuffs her. In my book that pretty much looks like an arrest! :lol:[/quote]

well in my citizen patrol academy days, they told us your picture has to be taken in order to be an official arrest. they never took her for "the ride" LEO chime in...
'got to Texas ASAIC.

ELB

Post by ELB »

One thing I am getting from other sources that I didn't get from the article is that the detective was apparently intending to do the blood draw himself. I was unaware until now that there are police officers, in some PDs, trained to do actual blood draws. She was telling him no he couldn't, even if she was wrong, I don't see how dragging her out of the hospital and cuffing her was necessary for him to do a blood draw, and frankly that makes her less culpable even if the draw was legal. Clearly she wasn't in the way, and in fact once he put her in the car it looked like he just stood around instead of going back inside to do this allegedly necessary and legal blood draw.

Also did some quick reading on "arrest" vs "detain" -- confusing to apply, but sure seemed to lean towards "arrest." Especially since he announced it as an arrest several times.
USAF 1982-2005

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

This incident happened in July. The nurse and her attorney took the video public yesterday (Thursday) apparently because the police department was dragging its feet.
No video no problem for thug police, got video got problem with mayor and city attorney calling for prosecution of thug police. He deserves to be fired and never allowed to work in law enforcement again.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ELB

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

Interesting case.

If she was arrested/detained for stopping the police officer from drawing blood himself. That is one thing.

If she was detained/arrested for failing to commit a crime against the patient that is completely a different matter.

I understand both parties were on the phone with their supervisors. The police officer was being told by his supervisor to get the sample.

The officer is still on duty, but not in the blood draw business. Most likely because he was following orders.

I wish violating a persons civil rights ended up with some jail time more often.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

This story is a long way from over and could very well prove be an instance where everybody was right and nobody was wrong. :rules: Stay tuned.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”